EA Chief: Game Violence Worries Are a "Perception Problem"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Chief: Game Violence Worries Are a "Perception Problem"

Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello says there's zero evidence of a link between games and violent behavior but the game industry still has to wrestle with the perception that there is.

Numerous studies conducted over the years have found no links between videogaming and violent behavior in the real world, but that doesn't mean people have stopped looking at games for easy answers to hard questions about terrible things. The mass murder at the Sandy Hook Elementary School last year launched a new round of questions, accusations and soul-searching about what role, if any, videogames play in turning people into crazed mass murderers, but while most members of the industry were happy to cooperate with U.S. Vice President Joe Biden's inquiry [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121494-U-S-Vice-President-Games-Are-Not-Being-Singled-Out] into the matter, there were some who were against it, saying that taking part in the investigation was an implicit admission of responsibility.

But Riccitiello, one of the higher-profile industry figures to attend the hearing, disagrees - not because he thinks games might be responsible for causing violence, but because he believes it's necessary to actively fight the belief that they do.

"There's been an enormous amount of research done in the entertainment field about looking for linkages between entertainment content and actual violence, and they haven't found any," he told analysts during an earnings forecast conference call.

"I could give you long stories about how people in Denmark or the UK or Ireland or Canada consume as much or more violent games and violent media as they do in the United States, and yet they have an infinitely smaller incidence of gun violence, but that's not really the point," he said. "The point is that direct studies that have been done, hundreds of millions of dollars of research that has been done has been unable to find a linkage because there isn't one."

But despite the utter absence of evidence that videogames are damaging and the U.S. Supreme Court's decision to affirm the First Amendment rights of the medium, a significant portion of the general public remains unconvinced. That's the battle that Riccitiello believes the industry must now fight.

"Having said all of that and with all - if you will - humility about the world we live in, we understand that while there may not be an actual problem, given all the finger-pointing going on in the press, there appears to be the perception of a problem, and we do have to wrestle with that," he said. "Ours is an industry with an association that has risen to that call many times before, and will, as we move forward. We're responsible, we're mature, we intend to be part of the solution."

Sources: BBC [http://www.develop-online.net/news/43129/Riccitiello-Game-violence-about-perceptions]

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
But despite the utter absence of evidence

Sorry, I had to. Just kidding though. I guess its good that these studies exist and that they seem to want to stand up the the finger pointing media.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well, at least he isn't COMPLETELY retarded. Though I get the feeling he only cares because video games make him money.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
Oh crap, I agree with Riccitiello.

Evidence or not, we don't have any substantial evidence either way but the games industry has to fight as if it is trying to denounce secondhand smoke.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Perception is more important than facts in America. It's also especially more important in politics.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
???? How the hell did that troll say something that intelligent? OK people we need to brace for the rebound effect the next thing he says in public will be the most brain damaged thing you have ever heard in your entire life and make you feel like the whole world if full of morons who believe him.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
For once, I'm agreeing with him. The problem is that, when people hold a belief this strongly -- that violence in video games transfers into real life violence -- then it's near impossible to reason with them. It's like telling a cigarette smoker not to smoke because it's bad for them: they understand it is but won't change their habits. As long as people with cooler heads prevail, and the industry itself isn't pulling back, this will all boil over.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Well at least I can agree with that guy on something. Surely if no such link exists than any inquiry would reveal such and anyone whose confident enough that no such link exists shouldn't have a problem with such an inquiry.

Aikayai

May 31, 2011
Today:- I hear gun related violence was big before video games were introduced. I guess violent video games must be the cause of the problem then.

Yesteryear:- I hear gun related violence was big before movies were introduced. I guess violent movies must be the cause of the problem then.

Lets face it, the second amendment needs to be amended. It was written for a time post war and needs to be re-written for a modern America. Can't blame entertainment forever, and entertainment can't blame media either. That's like blaming everyone with an opinion that they're the problem.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
AT God said:
Oh crap, I agree with Riccitiello.

Evidence or not, we don't have any substantial evidence either way but the games industry has to fight as if it is trying to denounce secondhand smoke.
Quoted for truth. I was always a supported of the argument of someone being less than healthy to begin with if they can honestly say "I saw it in a game" to justify negative actions. However,the prospect of having to overcome such ingrained confirmation bias in the world's news media is quite the order. True,metal and comics did it,but,to my knowledge,we have the unfortunate reality of having so many atrocities attached to our passtime,many of which are recent. The ostriches of the media can easily deflect our valid counterarguments with "Look at Oslo. The guy that did that said he trained with Call of Duty." or something similar. And to them,that's the end of it. How can we sway such firmly rooted perceptions without making them feel like they were right?

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
Yikes how bad is it when you can actually agree with Riccitiello? Well at least his self interest coincides with mine in this case. Tip of the hat Riccitiello, but I still have my eyes on you.

Lazy

Aug 12, 2012
MPerce said:
Well said, Riccitiello...?

Man, that combination of words sounds weird.
I know. Don't you hate it when someone you despise says something intelligent and reasonable?

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
pfft... the gun lobby is just trying to pass the buck onto other different forms of media so that gun rights and more importantly gun sales aren't affected.

You want to tackle the Violent video games perception Ricciteillo?

Start at the source of it which is the apologists at the NRA.

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
As others said, I'm astonished that Riccitiello managed to say something pretty cool for once. Perhaps this is a shift in his whole philosophy! Perhaps he will get rid of shady business practices and become a beacon of hope for all things video games! Or, perhaps we're in the Matrix, and this is just a glitch.
Or maybe he just likes his money.
Probably the money thing.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
There must be something wrong in the universe because I actually agree with something Riccitiello said.

While there isn't a link between video games and the violence problem we have in an age where people want to point the finger at everything except their cause I think the game industry has to stand up for itself. If the game industry remains silent then people just go "see, see, they are guilty because they don't have a response to our wild accusations!".

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
John Riccitiello is speaking. Quick grab the torches and pitchforks!
Wait.... what is he saying? Oh...

Good on you Riccitiello, I'm not sure if I agree, purely because I don't think I'm capable of agreeing with you.
It's a defense mechanism, nothing personal. I'll just reason it as the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
What alternate universe did I fall into, Riccitiello is actually speaking some fucking sense?