Newell: Apple is Steam Box's Biggest Threat

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Newell: Apple is Steam Box's Biggest Threat

The victor of the living room will have to go through Apple first, Gabe Newell says.

With one console generation winding down and another rising, now is time for an innovative newcomer to grab the market. Valve boss and all around jolly man Gabe Newell thinks that Valves upcoming linux-powered [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121373-Valve-Confirms-Linux-for-Steam-Box]Steam Box[/a] can fill that hole. Speaking before a class at the University of Texas, Newell said that before the PC can enter the living room, it'll first have to defeat Apple.

Of all the companies with access to the living room, Newell commented, Apple's the obvious threat. "I think that there's a scenario where we see sort of a dumbed down living room platform emerging - I think Apple rolls the console guys really easily. The question is can we make enough progress in the PC space to establish ourselves there, and also figure out better ways of addressing mobile before Apple takes over the living room?"

Considering that its business strategy seems to be disrupting markets with new devices, it makes sense to be mindful of Apple when trying to do something new. More importantly, Apple won't be the only one. "I think a whole bunch of hardware companies are going to be releasing products in the next 12 months - you'll hear it referred to as Miracast, [Project] [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121364-Nvidia-Announces-Project-SHIELD-Portable-Gaming-Device]Shield from Nvidia[/a], or lots of other people."

Newell strongly believes in the power of the PC platform to transform the living room by setting its open, flexible nature directly opposed to other, closed systems. "Well, I could buy a console, which assumes I'll re-buy all my content, have a completely different video system, and, oh, I have a completely different group of friends, apparently. Or I can just extend everything I love about the PC and the internet into the living room."

Source: [a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/30/3934112/gabe-newell-steam-boxs-biggest-threat-isnt-consoles-its-apple]Polygon[/a]

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I think the biggest threat Apple poses is releasing a console and then patenting several key feature that have been standard long before they ever entered the market. Thus, causing all sorts of trouble and further stagnation in the market. Apple have proven to be the worst kind of patent trolls in the past and I wouldn't put it past them to do it again.

But seriously, forget consoles and living rooms Gabe! Hurry up and get that VR device you're funding up and running. Just think about it, you can have double the amount of money pools to swim in once you release that bad boy onto the market!

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Gabe Newell says something over-the-top, fanboys roll in to sing his praises in 3...2...1...
Oh whatever.
I seriously believe Valve can beat it's competition, they are probably the only company that actively cares about it's costumers and thinks of them NOT like walking wallets.
Im okay with the fact that you disagree, but you could atleast try not sounding too cocky and pretentious about it?

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Nope, their biggest threat is Microsoft, the people that have been successfully in the living room for 7 years now. Apple TV is quaint, and works well with other Apple products, but Xbox's evolution has turned into an extensible media center. And that will only improve with whatever consoles are next out (and when they actually make SmartGlass usable).

I know you hate your former employer, Gabe, but you really shouldn't be signing off MS like this, or you're in for a nasty shock.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zachary Amaranth said:
Gabe Newell says something over-the-top, fanboys roll in to sing his praises in 3...2...1...
Did you have to be so freaking inflammatory? You act like you're trying to start something

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Really? I just read that his plan is to do a console that offers backward compatibility, has some homebrew or user devkit of sorts and can interact with PCs.

It sounds like a very grounded and good plan, but mark me non interested, you will pry my gaming PC from my dead cold hands. The plan sounds especially good because reading this forums I have become aware that tons of players rebuy their games a couple of times to play them on new hardware, so... dunno, sounds like a nice service to the public.

What i want is my freaking DotA2 out of beta. Also Zach, you have been a bit confrontational lately man, u ok?

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
We've got a picture up there showing off the Pippin, Apple's newest offering to win the hearts of the console community. The whole computer-as-console thing was mastered by them years ago. Behold the lastest in advanced console technology.

Apple: "Bring it on, Valve!"

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Tanakh said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Really? I just read that his plan is to do a console that offers backward compatibility, has some homebrew or user devkit of sorts and can interact with PCs.

It sounds like a very grounded and good plan, but mark me non interested, you will pry my gaming PC from my dead cold hands. The plan sounds especially good because reading this forums I have become aware that tons of players rebuy their games a couple of times to play them on new hardware, so... dunno, sounds like a nice service to the public.

What i want is my freaking DotA2 out of beta. Also Zach, you have been a bit confrontational lately man, u ok?
No his plan is to put a PC in the living room of the commoner, instead of just people that build their own HTPC or those willing to plug the desktop into the TV. Basically he trying to create a pre-configured gaming-capable HTPC market, which like a PC you are free to do what you want with the software side, for the hardware now we still have to see since none have yet to be officially announced.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Veylon said:
We've got a picture up there showing off the Pippin, Apple's newest offering to win the hearts of the console community. The whole computer-as-console thing was mastered by them years ago. Behold the lastest in advanced console technology.
Apple: "Bring it on, Valve!"
I admit each time I see that console controller, I am never sure htf your are suppose to hold it.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Does he say all this stuff, just so all these news organization can rehash his comments, or does he really believe this delusional stuff?

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
rhizhim said:
great job.

this only made your nightmare become more real since you just gave apple the idea to compete with you now, idiot.
Is there any doubt Apple had this same idea long before now?

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
And a company that focuses on making Mobile devices, Tablets and PCs is a threat to a Console...how?

Honestly this reeks more of "HURR BASHING APPLE IS SO EDGY RIGHT GUYS?!" than anything else.

Jmp_man

Apr 24, 2011
Aeshi said:
And a company that focuses on making Mobile devices, Tablets and PCs is a threat to a Console...how?

Honestly this reeks more of "HURR BASHING APPLE IS SO EDGY RIGHT GUYS?!" than anything else.
Hmmmm... I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't dislike apple to be "cool" or anything. I really just feel like they treat their customers like idiots, so I don't see any reason I should treat them any differently.

Also, whether they want to or not Apple has a big hand in the game industry with their tablet, and if people are content with that I'm not sure they'll switch to another service anytime soon. (Also add in something about AppleTV or something.. IDK I'd have to look it up again, but there seems to be a chance their paths might cross.)

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Aeshi said:

No he didn't speak of console, he spoke of living room platform, which involve more then video game, through it is indeed one of component, and for that Apple got a major advantage compared to Microsoft, has their mobile platform is way more popular, while Android is more popular it is way more disparate, which can cause it to lag behind on integration side, has to have to take in consideration way more product that are on the market.

Basically you have to think in the future, you TV will just be a big screen streaming device, into which multiple device seamlessly connected, right now he just trying to get a foothold with a PC based console, to at least have a living room based hub, later will most likely likely have preconfigured server that can take care of a whole house, if first step is successful. If you consider other product be developed around the steambox, I think it to be a reasonable guess.

Most of those thing can already be done it just that it require someone who can provide and build such system, he just trying to have an off the shelf solution that can support PC gaming [and thus Valve/Steam without any possible hindrance, especially if betting on Linux work], has OEM didn't come up with a product that can fill such task yet, which he is cooperating with, has I don't think Valve will manufacture anything under their own brand, beyond maybe a Google Nexus like reference product, but I think think it will be more severe then Google with Android, has to what can be marketed under Steambox, has a good PC gaming experience is more demanding then a general use product like Android.

But anyway that a lot of guess from my part. And I admit I don't really care about the hardware for myself (for friend and family I am), but on software side I am quite interested, has it bring better Linux hardware support and improved/new software.