Dead Space 3 Trailer Tells Us a Story

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dead Space 3 Trailer Tells Us a Story

Everything mankind has endured has been leading us toward one final conclusion: a new third-person shooter from EA.

I'm not sure how I feel about this whole "rebirth" thing. From where I sit it looks an awful lot like being eviscerated and eaten. I do kind of like the "wing it" attitude on display in the new Dead Space 3 trailer, though; after all, when you're descending into a lair of horrific, ravenous mutant zombies, who's got time to waste on coming up with a plan?

But he Marker has a plan, and it's your job to put the brakes on those shenanigans before things get out of hand. Oh, and to rescue Ellie Langford, who you may recall as Isaac Clarke's cyclopean girlfriend from Dead Space 2, and who now seems to be an agent of some sort, leading a team of some sort, and needs to be rescued by Clarke in a turn of events more than a little reminiscent of those in Dead Space 1. Ol' Isaac sure does have a way with the ladies.

I'll be honest, I haven't really been paying much attention to Dead Space 3 and this, despite being a "story trailer," doesn't do much to fill in the gaps. But it looks like guys will be shot, stomped, gutted, tossed around and suffer the bitter, aching sting of love lost to wicked circumstance. Hey, that's good enough for me!

Dead Space 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-3-Xbox-360/dp/B0050SWVIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359660487&sr=8-1&keywords=Dead+Space+3] comes out on February 5 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
So Isaac's over the whole "Nicole is dead I'm super crazy" thing. Good for him, he deserves it.

TheProfessor234

Aug 20, 2010
Just waiting for that, "Pick one of three colors," ending.

In seriousness though, I don't remember how Dead Space 2 ended and I don't really plan on getting 3 on release. I'll probably do 1 & 2 again before I get three. Not a huge fan obviously but I think it's a fun game and I enjoyed Dead Space 2 a lot so I'm sure 3 will be just fine.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
TheProfessor234 said:
In seriousness though, I don't remember how Dead Space 2 ended and I don't really plan on getting 3 on release. I'll probably do 1 & 2 again before I get three. Not a huge fan obviously but I think it's a fun game and I enjoyed Dead Space 2 a lot so I'm sure 3 will be just fine.
After entering the core of the sprawl and finding a massive Marker in the middle of a Marker factory, Isaac fights with a psychotic hallucination of Nicole during a convergence event. After beating Nicole, the Marker, which was apparently linked to his mind, shuts down, cutting power to key parts of the station, including reactors that begin to melt down. While initially resigned to his fate, he is saved by Ellie before the Sprawl explodes

I remember when this was a horror series. Now, at least, they've realized that it's probably better to describe it as a "action-horror third person shooter" rather than "third person horror."

TecnoMonkey

Jul 2, 2012
And with that the dilema of deciding which controversial game I should buy closes. With Dead Space 3 gleefully stomping out DMC.

Dec 14, 2009
Ew...

Damn it, I really fucking liked the first 2 games too.

Let's just hope this is EA trailer spin and the game actually has some fucking atmosphere, instead what the dudebro trailer showed us.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Yay, Military shenanigans , because I don't get ENOUGH of those. Yo Platinum, you can take my 60 bucks for Metal Gear now.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
MrHide-Patten said:
Yay, Military shenanigans , because I don't get ENOUGH of those. Yo Platinum, you can take my 60 bucks for Metal Gear now.
Those would be Unitologists....not military

Game looks sick can't wait to play through it, they really upped the ante last game who knows whats coming this time around.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
The Gentleman said:
I remember when this was a horror series. Now, at least, they've realized that it's probably better to describe it as a "action-horror third person shooter" rather than "third person horror."
You can only sever so many torsos and have creatures jumping out of vents so long before the effect wears thin. Cry foul all you want that the game is more action but making the third act survival horror like the first game would be nonsense because the story doesn't reflect that scenario happening again at all. Isaac knows how to kill necromorphs and he isn't defenseless anymore, it only makes sense that when he goes after the threat he comes packing heat.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Can't wait to put a bolt through that guy's head. I've never understood the reasoning the Unitologists have. They are so keen on being reborn by the Marker, and yet I've only ever seen one of them willingly convert themselves--and that was only when there was no one else left. If this guy is so high and mighty, why is he still human? Ugh. Guess the same could be said of all zealots. "Walk my path or die...oh, but I'm not walking it. Sorry."
It would be nice if other people from 'The Team' survive, but I doubt that will happen. Picked off one by one until it's just Clark, Carver, and Eli. And wasn't Isaac on the same ship as Eli? So why is he on a different ship in this trailer? Or did I see a different character and mix them up?

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Too many people - "Fuckin' Dead Space 3 becoming more of a shooter than a horror game and other complaining."

*Replays Dead Space 1*
This game...it has guns. It stopped being scary the moment I had a gun to defend myself (I.E. The beginning of the game). It's the same as people complaining how Colonial Marines isn't looking like a horror game when aside from Alien, the Alien series has never been horror.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I am going to play the game myself and form my own opinion without someone telling me what to think!
*gives myself a pat on the back*

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
Can't wait to put a bolt through that guy's head. I've never understood the reasoning the Unitologists have. They are so keen on being reborn by the Marker, and yet I've only ever seen one of them willingly convert themselves--and that was only when there was no one else left. If this guy is so high and mighty, why is he still human? Ugh. Guess the same could be said of all zealots. "Walk my path or die...oh, but I'm not walking it. Sorry."
It would be nice if other people from 'The Team' survive, but I doubt that will happen. Picked off one by one until it's just Clark, Carver, and Eli. And wasn't Isaac on the same ship as Eli? So why is he on a different ship in this trailer? Or did I see a different character and mix them up?
My thoughts as well. We know that there is more than one planet we'll be visiting in DS 3 so perhaps its the transition from Tau Voluntis(?)to whatever the name of the other planet is called.

That or perhaps it has something to do with the Co-op divergancing the game performs to differ itself from the single player storyline?

And come to think of it, there is a demo of him being on a ship that doesn't have Eli present, perhaps you've seen it where the ship explodes in space and they go to the derelict mining ship?. Perhaps its that ship which i think must be the start of the game, and Eli and Issac meet up and get seperated on the journey from Tau Voluntis (?) on the way to the other planet as i said above

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
It'll be interesting to see how EA, <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121805-Dead-Space-3-Dev-The-Last-Thing-We-Think-About-is-Money>I'm sorry, Visceral screws this up more than they already have.
Andy Chalk said:
Everything mankind has endured has been leading us toward one final conclusion: a new third-person shooter from EA.
Now THAT is a scary thought
with special guest star, Commander Sheppard.

I'll give it a try this weekend and form my own opinion about it. Hopefully it will be enjoyable.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Coreless said:
MrHide-Patten said:
Those would be Unitologists....not military

Game looks sick can't wait to play through it, they really upped the ante last game who knows whats coming this time around.
I think you just hit the nail on the head as to why this game files me with such scorn, bile and hatred. Upping the ante.

I remember in Dead Space 1 you got a giant Necromorph as a final boss battle, it made thing poignant , but now they're chucking in the fucks like cannon fodder. Dead Space was about an intense slow build, the atmposphere I loved from the first games was GONE from the Demo. I wasn't feeling the magic and that's what ultimately disappointed me and looks like they've takeout pick logs, because we wouldn't want you stop while you partner is having fun. Balls.

On release day I'm just going to play the first 2 again and keep my 60+ dollars (DLC ho, ho, ho). Back in my day kiddies we made the game easier to play by giving ya cheat codes (that you didn't have to pay for) instead of buying the crap you need for the best weapons.

The whole business behind Dead Space 3 fills me with scorn and anger, and I utterly sympathise with those that hate EA with a passion. They took a perfectly good, solitary, atmospheric, cramped, beautify designed (art style), experience and turned it into a soulless mould of one of the several other hundred shooters they're making. The Assault Rifle should not be more effective than a Plasma Cutter, BLARRRG!