Remember, We're Just 65 Years Away From the PlayStation 9

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Remember, We're Just 65 Years Away From the PlayStation 9

The PS4 may be just around the corner, but the PS9 is creeping over the horizon.

Yesterday, Sony teased what could be our first glimpse of the next PlayStation console [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121823-Sony-Teases-Possible-PlayStation-4-Announcement]. Sure, the company's newly announced PlayStation Meeting 2013 event is still a few weeks away, but if we're going to peer into the future, why not go all out? Way back in the early 2000s, just when the PlayStation 2 was hitting its stride, Sony offered a preview of what gaming will be like in the year 2078 with the PlayStation 9.

Yes, it was just a marketing ploy to drum up further excitement for the PS2, but it was one of the most unique video gaming console advertisements ever. I mean, who would ever think to showcase a device that doesn't even exist in order to get people excited for a real world product?

Featuring electronic spores, retinal scanning, and a mind-control system, the PlayStation 9 is everything you could ever want from a game console. The only downside, of course, is that it doesn't actually exist... yet. If you never got a chance to view the ad in its original run (and even if you did), take this opportunity to go back to the future.

If the PS9 ad doesn't tickle your fancy, feel free to sound off on what you think is the best game console ad of all time. Just, please, no creepy babies [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqkNPcUMffU].

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Oh man, I remember this. It's as ridiculous now as it was when I saw it all those years ago and I was just a kid then. If I live long enough too get a PS9 I'll be 90 years old. Damn, hopefully by then I'll be able to waste my life away in a full virtual reality environment.
Make it happen, PlayStation.

inb4 all the folks claiming Sony won't last until 2079.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Sony I hope you have fixed your business model enough to make it to the PS9. I truly hope you do.

AmzRigh

What's the frequency, Wishbone?
Dec 9, 2010
I remember this commercial. That sort of in-brain gaming is what I've always wanted the experience to become, so that video did -- and still does -- get me totally hyped.

Can't wait for 2079. Most of my body may have failed by then, but if I can have games in my head, it won't make a bit of difference. :)

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
MikeWehner said:
Featuring electronic spores, retinal scanning, and a mind-control system, the PlayStation 9 is everything you could ever want from a game console.
PS9: You will not buy and play used gamesssss...

Oh, we didn't mention that it works both ways?

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
That ad seemed really scary to me. I don't want my video game system to make me jump off of a building.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
I remember this ad. It always made me wonder. If the PS9 isn't exactly like that, would that be false advertising?

Hell they probably won't call it the PS9. They will get to the PS8 and the call it something else. The PS Gaiden or something.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
You do know what this means right?

That the next 5 cycles are going to last at least 13,5 years each.

That is fucking TERRIBLE news.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
VanQQisH said:
Oh man, I remember this. It's as ridiculous now as it was when I saw it all those years ago and I was just a kid then. If I live long enough too get a PS9 I'll be 90 years old. Damn, hopefully by then I'll be able to waste my life away in a full virtual reality environment.
Make it happen, PlayStation.

inb4 all the folks claiming Sony won't last until 2079.
I hope to be on Mars by then. Maybe we'll be able to play online together via the quantum entanglement network. Unfortunately the monthly service fee will be $10,000 yuan-dollars.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Silver Patriot said:
I remember this ad. It always made me wonder. If the PS9 isn't exactly like that, would that be false advertising?

Hell they probably won't call it the PS9. They will get to the PS8 and the call it something else. The PS Gaiden or something.
And we'll all sue them for not providing the PS9. I have a pre-order I made (as a joke) somewhere.