German Consumer Group Sues Valve

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
German Consumer Group Sues Valve

The Federation of German Consumer Organizations says Steam users should be able to resell their games without restriction.

You know how it goes: You buy a game on Steam, it's attached to your account forever and that's the end of the story. But that's not good enough for the German consumer group VZVB, which says that Steam users should be able to sell their games just like owners of conventional card and board games, and has filed a lawsuit to try to make it happen.

Steam users only "partially" own their games, according to Carola Elbrecht of the VZVB, because even though they can burn backup copies onto disc, the games remain tied to individual accounts and Valve's terms of service forbids their sale or transfer to another user. The VZVB initially threatened Valve with legal action over its TOS in September 2012 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119739-Steam-TOS-Leads-to-Trouble-in-Germany] but its demands went ignored, leading to the legal action.

"If I pay the full price for a game, then why am I not allowed to do with it what I want?" Elbrecht asked.

A previous VZVB lawsuit against Valve was dismissed in 2010 but in July of last year the Court of Justice of the European Union ruled that "used" software license sales are legal, a decision that Elbrecht said gives the VZVB grounds for the new lawsuit. She expects that the case will drag on for years but added that regardless of how it works out, it will serve a purpose by raising awareness of the issue and possibly convince other online distributors to change their own practices. Valve, however, appears to consider the matter already settled.

"We are aware of the press release about the lawsuit filed by the VZBV, but we have not yet seen the actual complaint," Doug Lombardi of Valve told Gamasutra. "That said, we understand the complaint is somehow regarding the transferability of Steam accounts, despite the fact that this issue has already been ruled upon favorably to Valve in a prior case between Valve and the VZBV by the German supreme court. For now, we are continuing to extend the Steam services to gamers in Germany and around the world."

Sources: Gamasutra [http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/game/3423715/valve-sued-in-germany-over-game-ownership/]

R.Nevermore

Mar 28, 2008
If you don't like what steam has to offer....

SUE THEM!

I mean seriously, if you want a hard copy to do with it as you please, don't buy a licence, buy a hard copy from a brick and mortar shop.

EDIT: but even then, you'll have to deal with some even more draconian DRM...

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
I will laugh so very hard if the end result here is that Valve just stops selling games to German customers.

But seriously? Used digital games still make no !@#$%ing sense. Consumer rights are good and all, but used digital games are still nonsense.

If it was legal to resell a digital game, I could sell the same copy seventy three bajillion times using the magic of Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V.

Magikarp

Jan 26, 2011
Do they have any grounds to sue them? Is there any rule that says digital property has to be resellable?

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Germans are on a "rip companies' asses" track as of late. Good on them. I'd like to have a system like this to happen, then I'd be able to give games I don't play to other gamers while legally getting money out of that. Which I would then throw at Steam during the sales.

Lunar Shadow

Dec 9, 2008
thesilentman said:
Germans are on a "rip companies' asses" track as of late. Good on them. I'd like to have a system like this to happen, then I'd be able to give games I don't play to other gamers while legally getting money out of that. Which I would then throw at Steam during the sales.
Hell, they could probally also do what they do with the markeyplace and have a surcharge attached that goes to valve.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Magikarp said:
Do they have any grounds to sue them? Is there any rule that says digital property has to be resellable?
There is in Europe. One of the EU courts ruled that software licenses should be resaleable some time ago.

Apr 28, 2008
Magikarp said:
Kind of.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/03/eu-court-rules-its-legal-to-resell-digital-games-software/

Basically, if you you can find a way to re-sell digital goods, you're fine as long as the law is concerned. Though it doesn't say it's required that digital distributors allow it, just that if someone finds a way, there's nothing they can do about it. The one who does figure it out first, however, will most likely make quite a bit of money. Which makes me wonder why these digital distributors haven't set up a system for it already.

R.Nevermore said:

SUE THEM!

I mean seriously, if you want a hard copy to do with it as you please, don't buy a licence, buy a hard copy from a brick and mortar shop.

Doesn't quite fix the problem, since that physical PC game will either require Steam and tie it to one account, or some awful DRM "service" that's much worse.

captcha: Keep What's Yours

heh

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
You can make backup copies, but they should be able to keep those copies and sell the original.

Geniuses here folks. Geniuses.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
R.Nevermore said:

SUE THEM!

Even with a physical copy, there are more than a few examples of where you crack the case open and just find a card with a serial code on it or a DVD/Cd with the setup for either steam/origin/uplay on it and you have to complete the download from their servers.

The days of getting something worthwhile in a physical copy purchase are long gone unless you want to pay a huge premium for a 'collector's edition'. The days of buying something like Ultima III (or any game from Origin in the 80's and 90's) and getting a series of manuals printed on decent paper, cloth map and some other knick knack are only fondly remembered by us old farts.

And for the record, I wouldn't mind the ability to sell a game from my steam library if given the chance.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
I think the obvious solution is that people should be allowed to do whatever they want with their Steam games including selling them. But unless a consumer has a contract for said game with Valve by buying it from them, Valve is under no obligation whatsoever to support the game, provide access to authentication servers, or allow for downloading the game. Now try to make sense out of that and realize we're living in the 21st century and some old rules don't apply anymore.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Hitchmeister said:
I think the obvious solution is that people should be allowed to do whatever they want with their Steam games including selling them.
'Anything they want'? Okay, here goes: I copy it. Then I 'sell' it to a friend for $0.01. Then I make another copy. And I sell that to another friend for $0.01. In fact, while I'm at it, why not just throw it up on my website and offer a 'donate what you want' system.

Is that okay? I mean, it's MY game! I paid for it! I should be allowed to do whatever I want for it.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
R.Nevermore said:

SUE THEM!

Or it could be one of those hard copies that requires Steam and binds the key to your Steam account.

At any rate, meh, it won't go anywhere in the end and the german court will pass some order that will never be fulfilled.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Well as long as Valve never said you could resell them I don't really care.
R.Nevermore said:

SUE THEM!

And you can't legally buy Left 4 Dead 2 uncut in Germany.
Pfft because Nintendo of Europe is based in Germany you can't buy 18+ rated content on the eShop unless it's between 11pm and 3 am.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
Falterfire said:
Hitchmeister said:
I think the obvious solution is that people should be allowed to do whatever they want with their Steam games including selling them.
'Anything they want'? Okay, here goes: I copy it. Then I 'sell' it to a friend for $0.01. Then I make another copy. And I sell that to another friend for $0.01. In fact, while I'm at it, why not just throw it up on my website and offer a 'donate what you want' system.

Is that okay? I mean, it's MY game! I paid for it! I should be allowed to do whatever I want for it.
You conveniently ignore the rest of my post where those 1 cent copies you're selling are worthless because they require Steam to download and authenticate and Valve is not required to provide that service. Without that, they're just bootleg copies and illegal under the DMCA.

Also, it seems clear that by "selling" something you own under this proposed German law, you give up ownership of it and don't simply make infinite copies of it. Which in the digital realm is more problematic than is being acknowledged. That's why I say they have to realize we're living in the 21st century now.

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
Are people seriously still stuggling with the concept of license?
I'm all for consumer's rights and everything, but what they're doing there is bullshit.

See, what they want to do is pretty much like a student being admited to harvard and then giving up and trying to sell his spot to one of his friends.
Games are not a product, they are a permission. They are a copyright owner's allowance for one to use THEIR (the copyright owner's) property.