Update: Halo Trilogy Appears and Then Vanishes From Steam Database

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Update: Halo Trilogy Appears and Then Vanishes From Steam Database

The cult platformer Fez may also be coming to the PC platform.

Before Steam games are released to the public, they must first be added to a database of game content. In the past, this database has been used to leak new games to the service before their official announcement. this screen grab [http://cdr.xpaw.ru] shows the listing.

These games appear alongside titles that have already been confirmed for a Steam release, such as Resident Evil: Revelations and La-Mulana, furthering the legitimacy of the discovery. A full list of the games uncovered is as follows:

La-Mulana

The Splatters
Octodad: Dadliest Catch Beta
Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition (Duke Nukem 3D+)
Super House of Dead Ninjas
Fez
LucasArts Test App
Fast and Furious 6
Lococycle
Yogventures!
Hardware
Hardware (Demo)
Dyad
Cut the Rope
Shadow Warrior Complete
Hardware (VIP)
Hardware (Internal)
THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIII
Retro/Grade
Resident Evil: Revelations
THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2002 UNLIMITED MATCH
THE KING OF FIGHTERS '98 ULTIMATE MATCH
Quantum Conundrum 2
Halo 3
Halo 2
Halo: Combat Evolved
The Witness
Angry Birds Space
Angry Birds Seasons
Second Life

Halo 3 also seems to already have an official steam group, [http://steamcommunity.com/games/216800] and many of the games are accompanied by "game hubs" in the database. A Steam game hub is a place where one can find user generated content for Steam games, such as modifications, screenshots and guides. Steam hubs currently only exist for official Steam games, meaning that if these games are not coming to Steam, Valve could be adding game hubs for non-Steam games.

So what's going on? Games for Windows LIVE started out with a subscription fee that was eventually dropped. Could Microsoft possibly be coming around to considering other options for its PC games? Nothing is confirmed at this stage, but the fact of the matter is that only Valve employees have access to this database, meaning someone at Valve entered this data. The fact that some of the data was pulled shortly after fans discovered it arouses even more suspicion. The developers over at CDR have this to say [http://cdr.xpaw.ru/blog/3/] regarding their findings.

Source: NeoGAF [http://cdr.xpaw.ru]

Update: Microsoft have issued a statement [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-04-the-halo-trilogy-fez-and-dyad-outed-on-the-steam-database] saying that they currently have no plans to release any Halo titles on Steam.

Klonoa Prower

Jul 23, 2008
If that screen grab is all the evidence you have to support this... then it's really not all that much, since something like that could be easily edited to show that any game might have been on Steam's database. And then all of a sudden removing that information? That seems silly suspicious to me.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
I think it'd be interesting if there was custom map support for dedicated servers, with Steam Workshop facilitating the distribution. That way, it's be really easy and simple to add fan maps to server rotations. DO IT, YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!!!

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Quantum Conundrum 2
Wait, it did well enough to get a sequel? Yay!

I don't see the point in Halo 3 being on there... Isn't it like 4 games old? Why not put 4/Reach?

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
I'd be really quite happy if it turned out this was a thing and not a lie. I really enjoyed playing the first Halo on my old PC. It was good fun! I tried the Halo 2 port but it might have killed my computer. I'd like to see them come out on PC properly though. :) :D

Apr 28, 2008
Sweet! Really like Halo, and enjoyed the PC ports of 1 and 2. If they come to Steam and the servers don't rely on MS keeping them up... yeah, awesome! Would love to play Halo 2 multiplayer again.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
In 2007 Halo 3 not coming to PC ever, I was like

In 2013 thought of Halo 3 finally coming to PC

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Klonoa Prower said:
If that screen grab is all the evidence you have to support this... then it's really not all that much, since something like that could be easily edited to show that any game might have been on Steam's database. And then all of a sudden removing that information? That seems silly suspicious to me.
The screen grab isn't all. It's not like this JPEG just turned up somewhere anonymously and this story was pieced together JUST from that. It's the screengrab and the testimony.

And then all of a sudden removing that information?
Has happened before. I wouldn't be surprised if this was deliberate, Steam is good at keeping secrets when it wants to... and not keeping them when they don't want to.

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Also in that database:
Total War: Cavemen
Civilization: Frankenstein
Saints Row 4

...and other silly or far-from-confirmed titles. I wouldn't get my hopes up too high, unless you're also still hoping for the Team Fortress 2 MMO [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91437-Valve-Plants-Joke-MMO-Code-Into-TF2].

Blindrooster

Jul 13, 2009
I hope these are listed in order of release, because the fact that they are not alphabetical drives me insane.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
FFP2 said:
Quantum Conundrum 2
Wait, it did well enough to get a sequel? Yay!

I don't see the point in Halo 3 being on there... Isn't it like 4 games old? Why not put 4/Reach?
Because 3 was never released on PC. It's made no real sense to have 1 and 2 on PC, then just skip to 4. Reach could possibly work since it's not directly involved, but PC gamers would still be missing out on 3.

I personally hope it's true. Halo 1 was one of my favorite LAN games back in high school and it'd be nice to be able to pick it up again through Steam, plus I'd be able to play with my PC friends. The official Steam Group gives me a bit more hope even if it seems odd. But I'm going to wait to see on this one.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
"LucasArts Test App"? That's the one that sounds most intriguing.

It's not a game, it's a "test app". If I had to guess, I would say that maybe LA is going to release their adventure games in some sort of bundle on Steam...

Hopefully...

V3rtig0

Mar 3, 2012
I hope the rumours are true and it does happen. I'd love Halo 3 on the PC, since I don't own an XBox and don't plan to get one any time soon(or any other console). Though it would seem to be pretty unprofitable for M$, since the game is what, 5-6 years old now? Interest in it would be low, but it would exist. Hopefully this does happen and pave the way for the release of other Halo games. I know I'd play them.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
So it takes 6 years to get the halo sequel when there are 2-3 newer editions available? I'll pass unless its under 5 bucks.

I was hoping they would get the lead out and release halo 4. Guess I can play it in 2019.

eltonborges

Apr 25, 2008
SOOOOO, I saw THREE KOF games in there? Ok, this really made my day! Even if it's not true, just to think of having three official The King of Fighter games, and I mean, the three most important games in the franchise, on Steam already made me happy enough.

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
Do want! I already have CE and 2 on PC, but new servers for 2 and the full trilogy on PC would be fantastic.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
I won't hold my breath but it would be great if they did break down and release Halo 3 on PC along with the others on steam. The dream would be to see Halo 2 and 3 released in a custom edition ala Halo CE as people are STILL doing cool stuff with that game.

But like I said I don't believe even getting a straight port has much chance at this point.

Is there even anything coming up where they announce something like that?

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Kapol said:
Because 3 was never released on PC. It's made no real sense to have 1 and 2 on PC, then just skip to 4. Reach could possibly work since it's not directly involved, but PC gamers would still be missing out on 3.

I personally hope it's true. Halo 1 was one of my favorite LAN games back in high school and it'd be nice to be able to pick it up again through Steam, plus I'd be able to play with my PC friends. The official Steam Group gives me a bit more hope even if it seems odd. But I'm going to wait to see on this one.
But the people that like Halo 3 already have Halo 3 on th 360... It just doesn't seem finacially viable to me.

I hope it's real too... I miss old school shooters.