Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance May See Wii U Release

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance May See Wii U Release

Platinum Games may port the next Metal Gear if there's enough demand.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (which I will still never be able to type with a straight face) is due out later this month for the PS3 and Xbox 360. A simultaneous release on the Wii U won't be possible (fifteen days isn't a whole lot of time to develop a port), but hope springs eternal within the Metal Gear fan's breast. One fan recently inquired whether a port for Nintendo's new console was in the cards, and received a fairly gentle rebuff. However, if developer Platinum Games learns that there is a ton of demand for a Wii U version of Raiden's latest adventure, it might just happen.

"What are the chances of MG:R getting a Wii U release one day?" asked a Twitter user by the name of Sneferie. "Touch screen would be cool for finishers and other shenanigans." She directed the message towards JP Kellams, a game writer and translator for Platinum Games in Japan. Although Kellams does not seem to have any direct involvement with Revengeance [http://platinumgames.com/staff/jean-pierre-kellams/] (there's that word again), he still fielded the question.

"Would have to see demand for it and bring us the request to port," Kellams replied. When others joined the conversation to add their requests to Sneferie's, Kellams pointed them towards earlier tweets he made on the subject. "Tweeting me about [Wii U ports] is not the right path." Platinum Games, he reminded them, is a developer, and "publishers make platform decisions. Tweet them." He added that he's pleased by passionate fan interaction, but he and his parent company have no control over the systems for which a product releases.

The outlook for Revengeance (no one else finds the humor in this?) on the Wii U is admittedly not great, but according to Kellams, it isn't impossible, either. If fans do organize a massive Twitter campaign towards publisher Konami, expect that this won't be the last time you hear his name.

Source: NeoGAF [https://twitter.com/PG_jp/status/297233045164027904]

Dec 14, 2009
Because of this game, I can never see the words 'vengeance' or 'revenge' without reading them in my head as 'revengeance'.

I hate you Kojima.

I hate you so much.

From what I played of the demo though, it's a really fun game. So WiiU players get Bayonetta and MGR. Both of which are more like Devil May Cry than the new Devil May Cry.

Zero=Interrupt

Nov 9, 2009
Wait, so all we have to do to make Platinum port Bayonetta 2 to the PS3 is organize a TWITTER campaign?

Let's do it, people!

Zero=Interrupt

Nov 9, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Because of this game, I can never see the words 'vengeance' or 'revenge' without reading them in my head as 'revengeance'.

I hate you Kojima.

I hate you so much.

From what I played of the demo though, it's a really fun game. So WiiU players get Bayonetta and MGR. Both of which are more like Devil May Cry than the new Devil May Cry.
In the parlance of our times, I believe this is what is known as a Dick Move.

Also, technically Metalocalypse did that first by introducing the Revengeancers.

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
Well i have to say, im personally proud so many gamers are trying so hard to get the games they love. If only we could get capcom to be oh so Hearing with Megaman...*sigh*

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Daystar Clarion said:

I hate you Kojima.

I hate you so much.

Well, it isn't coming to the Wii U yet although I do hope it will. Otherwise I will have to get it for the PS3 to keep it with all my other MGS titles.

EDIT: Speaking of which, was Vanquished any good? The only Platinum Game I remember playing was the original Bayonetta.
Try the demo for Vanquish first I think it's still on the PlayStation Store, if not I think it's free to Plus memebers. It's prasied like crazy by some and loathed by others, it's certainly not for everyone. Personally I just found it a bit meh, great concepts and ideas but it didn't really draw me in.

Honestly though I can't think of a game by Platinum that has, which is odd, because Platinum has a team that before platinum had been involved in a number of games I love.

OT: Neat, may think about picking it up on Wii U if it does come out on it, though I'm not terribly interested in it just now either way.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Zero=Interrupt said:
Wait, so all we have to do to make Platinum port Bayonetta 2 to the PS3 is organize a TWITTER campaign?

Let's do it, people!
I don't think that the same thing applies to Bayonetta 2.

MGR is a game funded by Konami. They don't have any real reason not to port their games to all systems except for really low sales. So as long as they are sure that they will cover the porting costs, they have a reason to port the game. Showing enough interest in a game is enough reason for them to port it.

Bayonetta 2 on the other hand is fully funded by Nintendo. Platinum Games is acting like a 2nd party developer to Nintendo in that case. Nintendo has the publishing rights to Bayonetta 2 and Nintendo has every reason against publishing it on the other systems. Maybe some time in the distant future they could for some extra cash, but even that is 99.99% unlikely.

OT:
There is already a petition for the port.

http://www.change.org/petitions/konami-platinum-games-metal-gear-rising-revengeance-for-the-nintendo-wii-u
Has around 1k signatures for now. So if someone is interested... you have a way to show that you want it.
I will get the game if it gets out on the WiiU. I don't own neither the PS3 nor 360 and I will buy the WiiU later this year.

EDIT: It would be nice if the author of the article added the petition link to the article so that more people interested in it can see it. And it's related to the topic.