Paul Walker to Play Hitman in Fox Reboot

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Paul Walker to Play Hitman in Fox Reboot

Paul Walker, of The Fast and the Furious fame will star as gaming's favourite bald-headed assassin.

Despite the first Hitman movie being released way back in 2009 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/77848-Fox-Says-Hitman-Movie-Still-Rated-R], when the game that would eventually become last year's Hitman: Absolution was still scheduled for a 2010 release date. Fox has now announced that the movie is still under production, with The Fast and the Furious tough-guy Paul Walker being cast as the infamous barcoded baldy.

Agent 47, the movie's working title, will be penned by Skip Woods and Michael Finch, the men who brought us Live Free or Die Hard (Die Hard 4), a movie that features a scene where the Mac Guy [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Long] hacks a military fighter jet while it is in flight (but using a PC). Making his feature film directing debut for the movie will be Aleksander Bach, a highly regarded commercials director.

Shooting for the movie should commence this summer, as soon as Walker is done with his press tour for Fast and Furious 6. Berlin and Singapore were confirmed as shooting locations.

The Hitman franchise of video games are stealth action-adventure games, in which you, as the titular Hitman, must find the most efficient ways to assassinate your targets. Debuting in 2000 with Hitman: Codename 47, IO Interactive have made five Hitman titles to date. The series has been praised for its "play it your way" approach, in which there are multiple ways for players to complete each level.

The first Hitman movie, which was also written by Skip Woods, starred Timothy Olyphant. It was widely panned by both Hitman: Absolution, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/norightexplanation/9510-Worst-Videogame-Movie-Ever] and try to dissociate itself with the previous movie as much as possible.

Source: Deadline New York [http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/fox-reloading-hitman-with-paul-walker-as-bald-barcoded-assassin-agent-47/]

vun

Burrowed Lurker
Apr 10, 2008
I'm not American, so pardon me if I'm incorrect, but Fox News do everything in their power to slam "violent video games", then Fox tells their film division to go make a film based on one?
Might just be me, and while there might be a sort of reasonable business-related explanation, it still seems a bit odd.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
welcome to corporate america violence sells.

the writer for die hard 4 could be interesting.

digital warrior

Oct 17, 2008
A new hitman movie? really? The last one was terrible but that fascinating fun kind of terrible you could enjoy. Well i found it hilarious.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Why not just use David Bateson for any Hitman film!? He is the voice and appearance of Agent 47!

And then in other movie news some of the Need For Speed film has been cast

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/michael-keaton-joins-dreamworks-need-418586

Surely it would make logical sense to stick the Fast And Furious guy in that? XD

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
vun said:
I'm not American, so pardon me if I'm incorrect, but Fox News do everything in their power to slam "violent video games", then Fox tells their film division to go make a film based on one?
Might just be me, and while there might be a sort of reasonable business-related explanation, it still seems a bit odd.
The term we business-savvy folks use is "cha-ching!".

OT: Ah, franchise reboots. How many did we have so far in the new century?

EDIT:

Andy Shandy said:
Why not just use David Bateson for any Hitman film!? He is the voice and appearance of Agent 47!
Lacks a marketable name.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
I have no words for this.

Fast & Furious is one my favourite series of movies but I just can't imagine Paul Walker being anything like how 47 is in the games.

I'm slightly optimistic though.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
Sigh, look I don't mind them making an action movie out of Hitman because what else can you do? (Even as a Hitman purist I wouldn't watch a mainstream film where someone wanders around for 90 minutes, changing costumes ever 5 minutes and hiding bodies. So shootouts it is, whatever.) But for the love of god stop casting these people! I didn't actually mind Olyphant in the role (watching it again recently it's worrying how many cues Absolution seems to have taken from that film rather than Blood Money), he got it right in places but overall was too smirky and smug. 47 needs to be near mute, monotone (but not boring) and betray VERY little emotion (it's always there but subtley... except in Absolution). So stop casting American action-actors. 47 doesn't do one-liners and you just know he will in this with Walker playing him.

You know who could play him perfectly but would never actually do it? Cumberbatch. Perfect voice, can do lot with his face without really doing anything and as Sherlock proves he can play utterly apathetic but with emotion below the surface brilliantly.

I'd almost come full circle to my original opinions on the first Hitman and say yeah, let Vin Diesel do it. He's pretty montone and doesn't move his face much...

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Ways to dissociate yourself from your previous flop: hire the same writer.

Wait...

Cry Wolf

Oct 13, 2010

This can't be worse than the latest videogame installment of the Hitman franchise, so there that. Quite frankly, after Absoloution I couldn't really care what they do.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Paul Walker?

Maybe if he ages 20 years and grows his chin a bit.

This will be the same flop as the first one. The guy that wrote that trainwreck will write a new trainwreck they have somehow managed to pick an actor that is less like the character than the previous actor that portrayed him and above all the person directing it just graduated from commercials.

I would have a fuck to give but that would require me having any expectations of this movie to begin with.

quote="RyQ_TMC" post="7.400319.16448231"]
Andy Shandy said:
Lacks a marketable name.[/quote]

It's a niche gaming franchise. I think most people will not look at the Hitman title and then ask themselves who is in it. I think they will either go see it out of fandom, avoid it because of fandom or just go see it because it is an action movie.

If they wanted a marketable movie they would not have gotten a rookie director.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Why do studios care about a middle of the road franchise like Hitman and franchises like Halo and Warcraft can't seem to get their projects off the ground after nearly a decade of trying? Not that I'm saying Hitman is horrible franchise to get the Hollywood treatment it just doesn't seem like the most likely...

EDIT: I didn't include a CoD:MW because an idea like that is just absurd. =/