UPDATE: The Witcher 3 Really Is Geralt's Last Adventure

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
UPDATE: The Witcher 3 Really Is Geralt's Last Adventure

CD Projekt RED wants to end Geralt's saga on a high note.

The Witcher fans recently got plenty of The Witcher 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121900-The-White-Wolf-Returns-in-The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt] reveals, what with open world goodness and personal nemesis hints. However some fans wondered: is this really it for Geralt? Can this be the last in the series? Surely CD Projekt RED has something up its sleeve?

Well, yes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121594-Pen-And-Paper-Creator-Talks-Cyberpunk-2077], but whatever it may be, it's not The Witcher 4. "We believe that we should end the series on a high note," says studio head Adam Badowski. "Technology has progressed to where we can finally tell the story the way we want, with the visuals we want, in the world we imagined ... we believe it's time for us to look to new worlds and new horizons to keep pushing the boundaries of what we can create."

Badowski went on to say that, for anyone who's still on the fence about whether to get into The Witcher, this is their last chance. For that reason, it's been designed to be accessible to all players, both the hard-core fans and those new to the story. This is one of the reasons why the game is being released on "all major high-end platforms," according to Badowski, with "an introduction designed to smoothly introduce all those who visit the world of The Witcher for the first time." Those wanting to know more about preorders need to speak to CD Projekt RED. [http://www.thewitcher.com/preorder/]

Source: The Witcher blog [http://www.thewitcher.com/community/entry/329]

UPDATE: It would seem that, although this is the last of Geralt's saga, it may not be the last time CD Projekt RED visits the franchise.

"This is the last part of the trilogy, in which there will be a great finale of the story," says CD Projekt RED CEO Adam Kicinski, clarifying Badowski's original statement. "However, this doesn't mean the end of franchise. The franchise will continue."

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/08/the-witcher-3-trilogy-geralt/]

Mr.-3

Mar 30, 2011
Although the games look really good, CD Projekt RED's customer support left a horrible taste in my mouth. To be clear I had bought the first Witcher, but it was having all sorts of problems installing/running on my pc. I had contacted them repeatedly for help, but they never responded.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
For that reason, it's been designed to be accessible to all players, both the hard-core fans and those new to the story.
"Accessible to all players"?

Ruined.

Right there. Utterly ruined forever.

CDProject totally sold out on us. I bet Activision is about to buy them. I will not buy this game.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
That is awesome. This is one of the few games that seems to get better with each installment (I hope that continues with Witcher 3). It's fantastic to hear a company has reached it's goal as far as scope is concerned and they are willing to end it there. I would say it's a very mature move. You are not anywhere ear burning out the IP and you are not going to. Bravo CDPR! I can already taste the next Witcher in my mouth, the flavor of lots and lots of play time.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
I only wish I could play The Witcher (the first one) :( I bought it on steam, but it was very laggy on my laptop, later on I bought an iMac, pretty powerful one at that, and then The Witcher was released for it as well, again I tried, but still: too damn laggy... I'll never understand this, how come my iMac runs much heavier and more recent games, but when it comes to The Witcher it's all laggy? I hate playing in PC's/iMac's for that reason :(

Mr.-3

Mar 30, 2011
Never got resolved. After two weeks of trying to install it I returned the game.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
On all major platforms!?

Yeeeessssssss!!!!!

I recently got Witcher 2 for Xbox 360 and when I finished it, I had the unsettling feeling I wouldn't get to finish the story of a world I grew to really like and appreciate. All the detail and polish made me sink just as much attention into it and I feared the Xbox port was just a one time thing or somehing very far down the line for CD Projekt Red to think about.

Zhukov said:
For that reason, it's been designed to be accessible to all players, both the hard-core fans and those new to the story.

Ruined.

CDProject totally sold out on us. I bet Activision is about to buy them. I will not buy this game.
Well, I think you're kidding but for that point I'd like to think its the same line of thought that would allow me to play the game in the first place.

But on the quality of the game, I can't really say until I play it. There was definitely some things that needed some work. For instance, I got lost alot or some Quest details could have been abit more explicit. I don't need to be babied, but perhaps some street signs or clearer quest objectives would have been fine. Or just tell me if the Quest marker is above or below me would have help amillion. Sometimes it didn't even point you in the right direction.

The game doesn't need to be any easier though. The difficulty was just inverted, it seems for the sake of plot, in the first game.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
SecretNegative said:
This made me laugh.

Can someone explain to me where the hell Geralt came from? The first game throws you in with what appears to be a rather detailed backstory, legacy, friends, and I have no idea how they came to be. Geralt's not my least favorite hero but in the game(s) I've played he isn't exactly personable either. (I have but have yet to beat Witcher 2). I'll miss the Witcher universe more than I'll miss Geralt. Witcher one had questionable gameplay and a rather mundane plot, but the atmosphere and level design were great.

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
UsefulPlayer 1 said:
On all major platforms!?

Yeeeessssssss!!!!!
*puts hand on shoulder*

Son, I fear there won't be a 360 version. When they say "all major high-end platforms", they mean the next console generation. The wording is a bit vague, but there have been other interviews and blogs that said it more clearly.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
RobfromtheGulag said:
SecretNegative said:
This made me laugh.

Can someone explain to me where the hell Geralt came from? The first game throws you in with what appears to be a rather detailed backstory, legacy, friends, and I have no idea how they came to be. Geralt's not my least favorite hero but in the game(s) I've played he isn't exactly personable either. (I have but have yet to beat Witcher 2). I'll miss the Witcher universe more than I'll miss Geralt. Witcher one had questionable gameplay and a rather mundane plot, but the atmosphere and level design were great.
The Witcher was originally a polish book series. Geralt was the protagonist in... 2 of them, I think.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Mr.-3 said:
Never got resolved. After two weeks of trying to install it I returned the game.
How? I can't think of a retailer that accepts opened PC games for anything more than...the same game.

Zhukov said:

Ruined.

I feel like you're joking, but when ME3 made the same claims back before it came out, people said this same thing. But seriously.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
I'm currently working my way through the first game; I bought it in the Steam autumn sale but have only recently got round to playing it. Might now have to buy the second so I can get caught up for when this comes out, although I will almost certainly need a new computer for it.
Milanezi said:
I only wish I could play The Witcher (the first one) :( I bought it on steam, but it was very laggy on my laptop, later on I bought an iMac, pretty powerful one at that, and then The Witcher was released for it as well, again I tried, but still: too damn laggy... I'll never understand this, how come my iMac runs much heavier and more recent games, but when it comes to The Witcher it's all laggy? I hate playing in PC's/iMac's for that reason :(
It's not been that bad for me - at least not once I turned the graphics down a bit - but I've had a similar problem. I can only assume it's not been very well optimised, because at the highest graphics settings the frame rate is awful and it's not like it's an especially good-looking or demanding game. What really baffles me is that Mass Effect 3 ran without so much as a stutter at the highest settings on my computer, but the Witcher, a game five years older, struggles when I turn on all the bells and whistles. I guess since it's the first game CD Projekt made they were still learning the ropes.

IrenIvy

Mar 15, 2011
Mcoffey said:
RobfromtheGulag said:
SecretNegative said:
This made me laugh.

There's more detail about Geralt in the books, sadly they've only translated the first two into english, but basically he was an orphan the Witchers found, trained and then mutated to have enhanced strength and reflexes, as well as to be able to survive the use of the potions Witchers use. When he went through the process his hair turned white, something that doesn't usually happen.
Actually he wasn't "found", he was given to witchers by his mother, enchantress Vicenna (he even meets her at some point; she also gave him his name although he didn't know this at first). Most of other children were orphans though, but new witchers can't be properly trained because several decades ago surprisingly well-informed zealots destroyed Kaer Morhen and killed almost all witchers who gathered there for winter. And yeah, in that universe witchers and mages live much longer than regular humans, Yennefer is about 90, I think, and it is much hinted through books that Geralt is about same age if not more.

Geralt passed the first stage of mutations and training, common for all witchers, but he also passed the second, Trial of Herbs, a more advanced one, with mortality rate about 60% (I think he mentioned that only four out of ten candidates survived).

Witcher universe is sort of more realistic approach to your typical, human-dominated, sword and staff, elves and dwarves fantasy. And yes, the series has about 7 or 6 books, where Geralt is one of protagonists but not the only one (and sort of like Game of Thrones in regard of multiple POVs and storylines sometimes).