The Microtransactor!

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Grey Carter said:
Those (not quite) microtransactions can fuck off though.
Here here.

I imagine in the Asia games market some of the less scrupious developers have put in monsters/enemies that basically are the the Microtransactor in the free to play market.

Only imagine. Citation needed.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Grey Carter said:
I'm hoping the "classic" modes unlocked after the main campaign is finished offer a more traditional Dead Space experience, but as a fan of the series I can't say I'm disappointed with the main campaign.
To spoil Classic Mode for you...

Kopikatsu said:
I recommend you guys try Classic Mode, then. Hard Mode, Classic Aiming, No Co-Op, you can only build guns from blueprints that have 'A Classic' in the description (DS1 and 2 guns, basically), the 'build' section of the bench menu is disabled completely, and none of your stuff carries over.

Impossible difficulty was super easy. Classic Mode is so very rough. Keep running out of scrap metal and somatic gel.
Also, Hardcore Mode was done more intelligently this time around. You can save as many times as you want, so if you need to stop playing for whatever reason, you're fully capable of doing so. But dying deletes the save. So don't do that.

I do have to agree, though. Dead Space 2 was my favorite game of this gun as well. Bought it on all three systems just to always have it. (360, PC, PS3)

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Grey Carter said:
The Microtransactor!

No one can stop it.

Read Full Article
So on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being "I'm gonna bomb EA for this" and 1 being "OMG OMG I LOOOOOOOOOOVE micro transactions"
were do you personally sit on the issue?

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
Also, Hardcore Mode was done more intelligently this time around. You can save as many times as you want, so if you need to stop playing for whatever reason, you're fully capable of doing so. But dying deletes the save. So don't do that.

I do have to agree, though. Dead Space 2 was my favorite game of this gun as well. Bought it on all three systems just to always have it. (360, PC, PS3)
First, in this article, I read 'universal ammo' and went "Wha..?", which kinda painted DS3 in a negative light. Your description of Hardcore mode just saved the game for me however :) So I'm still gonna be picking it up.

But yeah, DS2 was awesome. Just the right mix of characters, action, horror and creepy atmosphere...

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
EA's next marketing strategy? Buying every magazine for your gun. There are now no longer any random ammo loot. You are free of course to focus on melee weapons... that they sell for a premium at their store. Want to use fists? You have to buy that ability in the collectors edition DLC. Want to progress to level 2? Sorry but thats barred with a gate, that requires this specific key for the low low price of 9.99 or your regional equivalent.

You are of course expected to pay the usual hourly fee so your 360, PS3, or equivalent doesn't simply shred your disc and burn it to ash. To finish your transaction, please link your bank account directly to EA.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Don't see Erin trembling at a mans feet too often. That's just kind of weird

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Please, for the love of God and all that is holy. DON'T GIVE THEM ANY FUNNY IDEAS!

If EA thought for even a microsecond that this could work, they would use it. You know they can't help themselves.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
Captures my feelings on having to pay for stuff in a game you already had to spend money to buy in the first place.

On the free to play games I can understand and it's not bad if buying stuff doesn't give you a huge edge in the game.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
On some levels I'm glad to hear you liked the game Grey, I'm still not buying it due to the cash grab gimmick though. Maybe in a year or two for 75% off or whatever, but right now I refuse to sponsor that idea. I am hoping that no matter how good the core gameplay is, the game crashes and burns to discourage the practice. I love the franchise and IP, but I'd rather lose Dead Space than to see EA trying to gouge me for extra $$$ with single player game transactions, especially seeing as if they succeed, other companies will follow suit.

That said, the idea of their being a microtransaction mob like that does sound like something that might show up in a Korean MMORPG. "The only way to damage this monster is to pay money, and you can't progress past this region without vanquishing them! Put a credit card on file, and every $1 you charge is 10 points of damage... each monster that spawns has 100 hit points... and there is a 1 in 1000 chance that each mob you vanquish will have a key to unlock the gate to the next zone.... gogogogo!"

Of course to be fair in doing this the new mechanic would be introduced by a doe-eyed anime girl with a squeaky voice who seems unusually upbeat about the whole idea... as opposed to say Erin. :)

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Scorpid said:
Don't see Erin trembling at a mans feet too often. That's just kind of weird
Great, now I can't get Tsundere Erin out of my head...

'ELLIOT NO BAKA!!!'

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
OfficialJab said:
'tard'? Not nice. And yeah, they're the same word.

http://r-word.org/
Not nice, but you forget that Erin's not nice either.

I don't advocate ending use of a word because it's often used to draw unpleasant connections. The original use of "retard" was "to slow down", and I use it often in my education to describe things slowing down, stunningly enough.

OT: I can see it happening. It wouldn't last long, but I can see it.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
dragongit said:
EA's next marketing strategy? Buying every magazine for your gun. There are now no longer any random ammo loot. You are free of course to focus on melee weapons... that they sell for a premium at their store. Want to use fists? You have to buy that ability in the collectors edition DLC. Want to progress to level 2? Sorry but thats barred with a gate, that requires this specific key for the low low price of 9.99 or your regional equivalent.

You are of course expected to pay the usual hourly fee so your 360, PS3, or equivalent doesn't simply shred your disc and burn it to ash. To finish your transaction, please link your bank account directly to EA.
Your avatar is from Fallout 3. Where you had to pay $15 for the real ending. I really feel like Bethesda might do something like this first.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Although it's obviously exaggerated, this is the kind of direction that worries me when it comes to adding DLC and micro-transactions. It's the point when they stop feeling like they are an optional addition and instead start to become almost necessary to play the game properly.

It's not there yet, but I can't help but feel we are starting to head towards it.