A Lifetime's Gaming Collection Goes For $550 K

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
A Lifetime's Gaming Collection Goes For $550 K

It took this gamer two months, eight hours a day, to inventory his collection for sale.

"I just have too much things," says this Italian gamer, "and the space to store them is finished long ago ... also I realized that if I want to play at least half my games, I should live two or three entire human life." So he's selling it. All of it. Do you want it? Well, do you have $550,000? 'Cause that's the bid price, sweetheart, but - if this is any consolation - he does ship worldwide, though he says it will take about a month to pack it all up for shipping. Just don't ask him to sell single items; he's not interested, unless you're buying it all.

[gallery=1037]

It took this gamer two months of his life - that's working eight hours a day, mind you - just to catalog his collection. He calls it "the story of videogames", and it covers pretty much everything from Pong to the present day. We have some pictures here, but that's nothing - and I really do mean nothing - compared to the extravaganza over on Ebay right now. He wants to sell it all in one go, because he really doesn't have the time to piece it out; and while this might sound like a negotiating tactic, one look at the collection proves his point. Never mind playing them, it might take more than one lifetime just to sell them off.

So if you've ever wanted 350 consoles, 220 controllers, over 6,800 games, plus hundreds of other items - if you've ever wanted to own your own gaming store, basically - talk to this fella. He has what you need, and the auction has eight days left to run.

Source: Ebay [http://www.ebay.com/itm/121062811693]

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Jesus this is is beyond words.....

He must have a huge house to store all those games

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
If I had the money and the storage room, I'd buy it. All that history...

Would I have to learn Italian too?

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
I would only be interested in the boxed Nintendo stuff, especially the NES games. I would only want the English stuff, cause I can't be bothered with the foreign stuff. I obviously can't read other languages, which would be a problem because I like to know what is going on in the games I play.

I wonder how this all will be packaged and sent. I doubt all at once, so I'm guessing bit by bit which will probably take at least a year to get it all, unless that 550k price tag includes some kind of airdrop next to the purchaser's house.

If I had the money I'd buy it, keep what I wanted, then piece off and sell the rest, which would probably get my money back at least, maybe more.

Blablahb said:
That's got to have cost him somewhere around a million euro to purchase. That guy probably needs help
I would understand if the collection was just strung about and a mess, but from the pictures off of E-Bay, the guy had the stuff perfectly displayed. A collection only becomes a problem when it truly rules a person's life, if it interferes in that the person practically or does go bankrupt buying collection items. Besides, if the guy had a problem, he wouldn't be willing to sell the collection off.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
CleverCover said:
If I had the money and the storage room, I'd buy it. All that history...

Would I have to learn Italian too?
Maybe, though I didn't see any Italian writing. What you would have to do is learn Japanese, because it looks like at least half or more of the collection is Japanese imports.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
Oh.....my......Lord.....

That is a lot of video games.

If someone wanted to start a Video Game Museum, this collection would give them a pretty good headstart.

EDIT: After actually looking at the photos...wow. Forget "headstart." This collection alone would make the ultimate video game museum.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
He can ask whatever price he wants, people probably won't buy it unless he's lucky enough to attract a rich person who owns a private video game museum. (Or the aforementioned video game store owner). It would be an easier sell if he broke it up, but he's not interested in doing that.

Here's a link [https://dl.dropbox.com/u/82114262/Game%20PDF.pdf] to the inventory in list format.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
o.o That many games and consoles for $550 grand?!

.......that's a bloody bargain!

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
I have serious doubts he'll manage to sell it. The number of people who are interested in such a catalog and have enough money to drop on it on such short notice is probably somewhere around the region of between 1 and 3 and I doubt any of them are checking Ebay regularly.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Reckon he'd get about, what, $300 for that at EB? I may be being optimistic there, too.

All jokes aside, mad props to the dude for his collection. That's insane.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Paypal and Ebay are probably going to subtly advertise the hell out of this. Think about how much they'll get from the seller and transaction fee's.

I can see why he'd want to sell it all together (saves a lot of hassle when it comes to posting), but the chances of somebody buying this doesn't seem particularly likely. Only a collector really as there are so many games the average person probably wouldn't want.

If I were a millionaire, I certainly would not be interested at any rate.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Falterfire said:
I have serious doubts he'll manage to sell it. The number of people who are interested in such a catalog and have enough money to drop on it on such short notice is probably somewhere around the region of between 1 and 3 and I doubt any of them are checking Ebay regularly.
Not to mention a collector may have a third of it already. I have about half the Kirby games on there so it would be worthless to buy them again.

OT:I wonder what his most prized possession is of all of it. This makes my collection looks pathetic in comparison.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
If you bid, make sure you join that ebay bucks thing first.

And look at all those neat box sets that the US never got... v.v.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
He really should think about selling all of those games (holy video games, Batman!) piecemeal, which he says he doesn't want to do. Not only would he probably gain more money but it would be easier to sell. Not to send but probably to sell.

Looking through his collection, I wonder why someone needs 6 separate PlayStation 2 consoles. Does anyone really?

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
Averaging all the games at about $50, all consoles at $300 and every controller at $30, it all comes to about $450,000. Considering he could have invested all this money somewhere else (and considering that investment would have made him at least 9% total revenue) looks like he's pretty much just looking forward to break even.

I hope he knows his country's tax policies very well, though. Or else he's going to have a REALLY bad time!

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Damn, how the hell did he manage to amass such a sizable collection? And why in the hell did he buy himself 350 consoles and 200 controllers? I'm going to take a good guess and say that a bunch of those consoles don't even work.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
SO, has AVGN been secretly selling off hes stuff? oh wiat hes not italian.