Colorado Mayor Drops Violent Game Tax Plan

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Colorado Mayor Drops Violent Game Tax Plan

A clinical psychologist and the city attorney's office have both spoken out against the idea of imposing special taxes on violent games.

Aurora, Colorado came to the attention of the world in July 2012 when a mass shooting at a midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises left 12 people dead. In the wake of that massacre and ongoing gun violence in the city, Mayor Steve Hogan brought up the idea of imposing a tax on violent videogames, or even banning their sale completely.

"Our society is experiencing more and more episodes of violent behavior. At the same time we see our kids with less parenting, and more unsupervised leisure time. Some kids turn to videogames which are becoming more graphic and more violent," Hogan told the Denver Post. "I believe public violence has many sources and am prepared to accept violent games may be one of those sources."

Clinical psychologist Dr. Stanton E. Samenow rejected that reasoning, however, saying that the key to solving the problem of gun violence does not lie with videogames. "Many people who resort to heinous violent acts are already fascinated and enveloped by violence. ... It's ludicrous to think a game just flips a switch and causes people to go overboard," he said. "Millions watch violent movies or play violent videogames, and they don't go shoot or hurt people."

The mayor's plan was also hamstrung by the First Amendment, which as the city attorney's office pointed out has been extended to the medium of videogames, rendering bans or special taxes "likely unconstitutional." He has thus decided to drop the idea. "I had hoped more regulation of the most violent games might be an answer," he said. "Obviously, it isn't."

While Hogan has backed away from the taxation plan, the idea remains popular elsewhere. Earlier this month, the state of Connecticut [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121926-Connecticut-Considers-Violent-Videogame-Tax] became the latest state to look into a state-wide violent videogame tax of its own.

Source: Denver Post [http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22534051/aurora-mayor-steve-hogan-rebuffed-violent-video-games]

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Connecticut I feel will attempt to actually pass it, then the supreme court will declare it unconstitutional.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
"Obviously, it isn't."

NO FUCKING SHIT. It was SO obvious that you had to get everyone pissed off to notice it.

Pss. Obvious he saids.......FFS.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I believe this is more about the public political posturing that garners free screen time (that is, once again, paid for by the taxpayers), and if they lose, they still have the publicity, but if they win, they get that plus the reputation.

There is really no incentive for him to NOT try it until gaming media organizes its own political collective.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Ugh, these zealots. Can't even look at scientific evidence, just "go with their gut".

And then they say "videogames which are becoming more graphic and more violent".
Oh noes! Wait, does he mean Duke Nukem 3D? Because grampa here can remember that clearly was quite a switch from the 2D ones. Plus, Doom wasn't violent either right? Just because there was no human-enemy doesn't mean it is not shooting them in the face... Rise of the Triads pretty sure had lots of people in it though, and dogs?

Hoo boy, there where a lot of quite violent games in 2D and 2.5D, Redneck Rampage, Blood, POSTAL.
Yes, POSTAL 1 is as violent as it gets.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
Parenting is the answer.

I'm 38 married, employed, a father of two, a life long gamer, and I vote.

You want changing demographics, I'm one of them.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
CrossLOPER said:
article said:
we see our kids with less parenting
And there is your primary issue right there. Glad you admitted it. Now go focus on that.
But telling people they suck gets less votes than scaremongering. Why would they ever even attempt that? XD

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
CrossLOPER said:
article said:
And there is your primary issue right there. Glad you admitted it. Now go focus on that.
You have to appreciate the irony of the guy actually acknowledging that the kids are poorly parented, but then point his finger at what the parents are using to do their job instead of the parents who just ignore their kids.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
CrossLOPER said:
article said:
And yet whenever the government or other authories DO get involved in how people parent it's extremely STUPID shit like you can't leave your children alone in a public library cause obviously if you do they'll be captured by a pedophile the very second you look away or not letting children make their hand into a gun shape cause that might be frightening to other children.

I swear it's like parents have universally all decided to go to one of two extremes, either totally not giving a shit to the point of neglect or overparenting so much that kids don't know how to go to the bathroom anymore without supervision.

I am so sick of this "think of the children" mentality.

Ticonderoga117

Nov 9, 2009
CrossLOPER said:
article said:
Governor: "But I can't tax that! And telling parents to parent more doesn't make me look like I'm doing something like how a bill does."

Lance Icarus

Oct 12, 2007
US politics 101: Never blame the voter or the lobby, just the product. Blame the games, blame the guns, but never blame the voters. It's things like this that make me rethink if this constant push for votes has bloated the campaigns so much that politicians can't see past it to the jobs they were hired to do.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
itchcrotch said:
yaaaay! now i'm happy;D
ima go make pancakes in celebration! well alright, i was gonna do that anyway... but now they have purpose!
Make them in the shape of video game characters, Pacman for example.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Oh yeah I remember that theater shooting.

Didn't we have this discussion back then too and then it went away because people have short attention spans?

And now we're doing it again... doing what?

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Clinical psychologist Dr. Stanton E. Samenow rejected that reasoning, however, saying that the key to solving the problem of gun violence does not lie with videogames. "Many people who resort to heinous violent acts are already fascinated and enveloped by violence. ... It's ludicrous to think a game just flips a switch and causes people to go overboard," he said. "Millions watch violent movies or play violent videogames, and they don't go shoot or hurt people."
HOLY SHIT BALLS FOLKS!!! Get this man a damn Nobel Prize! A Psychologist who is not a fucking moron and blaming all of the other crap in the world instead of the idiot behind the gun. Seriously I do not know who this guy is but I think he deserves so serious support.