Journey Wins Game of the Year at 16th Annual D.I.C.E. Awards

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Journey Wins Game of the Year at 16th Annual D.I.C.E. Awards

At this year's D.I.C.E. Awards, the big winner was Journey, which took home eight awards out of 11 total nominations, including Game of the Year.

Wrapping up the 2013 D.I.C.E. Summit was the 16th Annual D.I.C.E. Awards hosted by Chris Hardwick. This year Journey led the pack with a whopping 11 nominations, and managed to take home eight awards, including Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design, Outstanding Innovation in Gaming, and Game of the Year.

Telltale's The Walking Dead did pretty well for itself at the show as well, netting four awards including Outstanding Achievement in Story, Outstanding Achievement in Character Performance, and Adventure Game of the Year.

Much to my delight, XCOM: Enemy Unknown took home a pair of awards, namely Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year and Outstanding Achievement in Gameplay Engineering, while Borderlands 2 brought home Action Game of the Year. Check out the full list of winners below.

Action Game of the Year - Borderlands 2
Mobile Game of the Year - Hero Academy
Handheld Game of the Year - Paper Mario Sticker Star
Most Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition - Journey
Most Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design - Journey
Outstanding Achievement in Story - The Walking Dead
Outstanding Achievement in Character Performance - The Walking Dead's Lee Everett
Downloadable Game of the Year - The Walking Dead
Casual Game of the Year - Journey
Web Based Game of the Year - SimCity Social
Family Game of the Year - Skylanders Giants
RPG/MMO Game of the Year - Mass Effect 3
Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Outstanding Innovation in Gaming - Journey
Sports Game of the Year - Fifa Soccer 13
Racing Game of the Year - Need for Speed Most Wanted
Fighting Game of the Year - PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale
Outstanding Achievement in Online Gameplay - Journey
Outstanding Achievement in Connectivity - Halo 4
Outstanding Achievement in Animation - Assassin's Creed 3
Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction - Journey
Outstanding Achievement in Visual Engineering - Halo 4
Outstanding Achievement in Gameplay Engineering - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Adventure Game of the Year - The Walking Dead
Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction - Journey
Game of the Year - Journey

Full

Sep 3, 2012
I was watching a view of the awards show where three guys were just standing around in front a monitor talking about it, that was fun. One of them started mini-ranting about Lost.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I approve of these awards.

Not sure what Borderlands is doing there, but hey, nobody's perfect.

knight4light

Jun 24, 2011
doggie015 said:
Games that the majority of the gaming population cannot experience should not win awards until they are released on more than one platform. As soon as all award shows/events/whatever apply that policy then there will be a lot more incentive to develop on more platforms. I do not believe that game devs which sold out to Sony get awards for refusing to develop for other platforms!
LOL sorry but.. what. Are you an idiot? Selling out? Just because they made it a ps3 exclusive? I'm sorry but i come from a generation where a LOT of games were only for one system or another. It brought some life to the consuls. Remember consul wars? Nintendo vs PlayStation. Both pumping out good games to draw the attention of customers. Yah. That is gone now. all we get are the same stuff over and over again. how many cods? for all the consuls that we have there is no variety. There is no excitement. Halo is a consul exclusive. There are many exclusives but at the same time there aren't really any. the ones that are are the last of their kind really. Everyone feels entitled to play all the games on everything.

I say.. to hell with the whole. "available on all consuls/pc" bring on more exclusives. Games like journey, Tokyo jungle, etc. (all exclusives) are why i bought the ps3. Halo and mass effect (before the spread) are why i got 360. Zelda, Mario. ssb, etc. are why i got the wii.

those non exclusive games... while still fun to play. THEY are the ones who sold out in my eyes. they sold out to every company so they could make the most profit.

OT: so in response to journey winning. I am actually really glad. it was an amazing game. I really want more people to experience playing it. :')

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That's nice.

Let's hope Thatgamecompany is already working on their next title. They seem to be getting better with each one.

Busard

Nov 17, 2009
Fighting game of the year - Playstation all star battle royale ?

Must've been a slow year for fighting games :I

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
rhizhim said:
what the fuck is this?

a gaming themed award show gives out prizes to game developers and publishers that deserved it?

what the fuck is wrong with them?
This phrase does not fit with a conference that gave an award to Borderlands 2.

But seriously, though; it's because it's a trade conference first and an awards show second. Though they always have made some questionable decisions in the past.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
yeah, i'm pretty sure somebody was bribed in order to give sticker star an award

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
All these prizes for Mass Effect 3 adequately demonstrate that ef all good RPGs came out this year

Individuo

Oct 19, 2008
No love for FarCry 3?

doggie015 said:
Games that the majority of the gaming population cannot experience should not win awards until they are released on more than one platform. As soon as all award shows/events/whatever apply that policy then there will be a lot more incentive to develop on more platforms. I do not believe that game devs which sold out to sony get awards for refusing to develop for other platforms!
I couldn't disagree more, even if I tried. A great game should be worthy of recognition be it on one or a billion formats.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Did the Smash ripoff really win best fighter when Skullgirls came out last year too? My word...

I'm glad that Journey won, even though I've never played it. We need more games that aren't solely made to be a cash cow.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I honestly dont get the big deal about Journey, I get it why would someone like it but to be game of the year I just dont see it. Its just one of those games like Limbo and Flower that tell such a minimalistic story that is hard to care about and in the end its just preety and thematic with a great sense of atmosphere and impressive visuals.

Basicly I just want to say "Its a cool game but really? GOTY?"

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Individuo said:
No love for FarCry 3?
It did receive seven nominations, third most after Journey and The Walking Dead, including one for GOTY. It was their most-nominated "AAA" title.