Artists Capture The Spirit of Mass Effect

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Artists Capture The Spirit of Mass Effect

Ever wondered what an Elcor warrior looks like?

BioWare made one fatal error in the making of Mass Effect 3. The game, a colossal effort from a team of hundreds, had one glaring deficiency that undid not only that installment of the series, but the two excellent games that preceded it as well.

I am, of course, talking about the appalling lack of Elcor mounts.

Unfortunately, none of the artists taking part in a Mass Effect-themed competition on digital art forum, CGHub [http://cghub.com/], managed to fill that particular hole in my life, but one did come very close indeed with his rendition of an Elcor warrior.

"Create a character that would fit into the Mass Effect universe," reads the competition announcement. "He or She could either be from an existing/established race from the game's universe or an undiscovered race."

The entries come from artists both amateur and professional, and they're almost uniformly brilliant. Free from animation and budgetary concerns, the designs are far more varied and imaginative than BioWare's own. Some, like this sword-wielding model from Dae-Eung Lee, [http://cghub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14646] are a radical departure from the series' aesthetics, while others seem so natural you could almost mistake them for official artwork. [http://cghub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13541] There's a ton of great entries, [http://cghub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15450] but I've picked out some of my favorites for your viewing pleasure.

[gallery=1039]

Alright, BioWare. I admit, I'm still a little bit sore about Mass Effect 3's ending (and the lack of Elcor mounts), but if you include Oleg Memukhin's excellent moe Drell scientist [http://cghub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13143] in whatever Mass Effect 4 turns out to be then all is forgiven.

Source: CGHub [http://cghub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=116] via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5982376/the-fake-mass-effect-characters-of-the-future-are-an-amazing-sight]

Colonel Mustard

Jun 2, 2010
These are all dead cool pictures, but while I like to think of myself as reasonably well-versed in Mass Effect canon, can somebody please tell me what the deuce the person in picture 5 is supposed to be? I don't recognise (him? her? it?) from any of the games, and I can't think of anything described in the Expanded Universe books I've read that matches that.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
Colonel Mustard said:
These are all dead cool pictures, but while I like to think of myself as reasonably well-versed in Mass Effect canon, can somebody please tell me what the deuce the person in picture 5 is supposed to be? I don't recognise (him? her? it?) from any of the games, and I can't think of anything described in the Expanded Universe books I've read that matches that.
Well Bioware did say it could be an "undiscovered race." And after seeing some of the stranger entries in that thread, I guess it just means "go nuts"

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Why am I slightly amused that someone on The Escapist used the term "moe?" Hehe... Moe. Moe. Mo-ey

[sub]Moe is so hype[/sub]

Anyway! Cool! Good Mass Effect art is always awesome. OI comments, we need at least 50% more salty references to ME3's ending. Get on it!

Still there needs to be some... Whatsit warriors. The little guys who breathe funny. I am completely blanking on the name of their species. Some badass little guy wielding a shotgun that knocks him on his ass when he fires it. Oh but then they'd be ripping off Borderlands and we can't have that XD

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Bad artists! BAD! Don't they know spirits are meant to be free!? FREEEEEEEEEeeeeee.....!

Jokes aside, it's good to see calls for users to take a more active role in art and content design, because, well, there are folks out there who have the talent and the inspiration, can't hurt to let them post their stuff and see if it fits, and then crediting them with it in the game itself if it fits well enough.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
There were some damn cool armor designs there. Props to those guys (and gals), they are [i/]skilled[/i].

BioWare: MP DLC using these designs. [i/]NOW.[/i]

EDIT: check out the similar threads thing at the bottom. There's a link to a Dragon Age challenge thread as well. It's not as long and most of the entries stray too far from the source material (my opinion), but there's still some neat stuff there too.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Poor Elcor, they where not supposed be mounts. They used their incredible strength to wear super heavy armour and carry large support weapons like the kind you usually see on vehicles. They where not space horses they where walking tanks.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
lack of elcor soldiers was disappointing in ME3
Few things developers should introduce in next game(s)
Batarian/drell/elcor/salarian/turian/females

Basically if there is a race that have gender dimorphism, developers should introduce both genders in the game

For ME3 multiplayer:

Elcor heavy soldiers, seriously multiplayer instant choice

Ability to equip 2 ANY rifles and 2 ANY sidearms (shotgun slot can remain unique)
If 2 sidearms are the 100% same, choice between single weapon and dual wielding should be available

Ballistic shield (like those Cerberus soldiers wield)+sidearm combo

More heavy weapons for multiplayer

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
They do all look fantastic...though one of them seems to literally be just Grunt with an added cybernetic claw-gauntleet.

Still, infinitely better than anything I could have done. :p

Also: I wish the person that did Liara and Shepard's daughter would have rendered her face for a screenshot. I also like how it looks like her drone is pissed off and ready to mess someone up. :3

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Colonel Mustard said:
Maybe it's what the Asari actually look like without their tricksy tricks.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
J Tyran said:
Poor Elcor, they where not supposed be tanks. They used their incredible strength to wear super heavy armour and carry large support weapons like the kind you usually see on vehicles. They where not space horses they where walking tanks.
"With unbridled glee: Burn ************. Burn."