Buzz Aldrin Approves a Space Agency Videogame

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Buzz Aldrin Approves a Space Agency Videogame

Soon players can control a virtual space program from the Cold War right to the Mars Landing.

Buzz Aldrin is one of those figures who will rarely need any introduction. Although well-versed in mechanical engineering and fighter jets, Aldrin is more widely recognized as an astronaut and the second man to set foot on the moon. Now Aldrin is trying his hand at videogame consultation of all things, bringing his name and expertise to <a href=http://www.slitherine.com/games/BA_SPM_Pc>Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager. Set to launch this summer, the game will simulate the inner-workings of an entire space agency, all of which which the player is responsible for developing.

Space Program Manager puts you in charge of a fledgling space agency seeking to start a manned exploration program. Starting from the 1950s onward, the player is responsible for developing the facilities, personnel, and research initiatives that will one day allow humanity to takes its place among the stars. Aldrin is consulting with developer Matrix Games to ensure the title's accuracy and authenticity, presumably from a historical and scientific perspective.

The Director's career isn't quite as glamorous as we may imagine an astronaut's to be, but its bureaucratic details are ones that NASA administrators address on a daily basis. Space Program Manager's sandbox mode will let you leisurely manage your agency and its finances, while the campaign mode introduces short-term political goals that must be met to keep your job. Both modes will also simulate historical NASA missions, including many that never launched or were halted during the planning stages. A total of three episodes are planned, starting with Road to the Moon this summer and culminating in a player-orchestrated mission to Mars.

[gallery=1040]

The finished game runs the risk of being an overly technical space sim, but in terms of representing how agencies like NASA operate, Space Program Manager could be highly effective. Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is set to launch on June 15, 2013 for PC, Mac, and iPad platforms.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
This is something that looks like it could be a hit with the space fanatic folk. (nothing wrong with being fanatic)

Sep 14, 2009
interesting, if i hear good stuff, just might have to get it.

could easily see this becoming a requirement for space based classes to use as a tool (not astronomy, but any high level mechanical engineering or aeronautical type class perhaps.)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Will there be DLC where you have to fight increasingly harsh budget cuts as America becomes less anamoured with space?

Quesa

Jul 8, 2009
Wow, who saw Buzz Aldrin attaching his name to a space race game. Again, twenty years later [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_Aldrin%27s_Race_into_Space].

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Looks really cool actually! Looking forward to it:)

DVS BSTrD said:
Gosh darn videogames! Turning our kids into astronauts!
It's these video games that are responsible for injuries done by bottle rockets and fireworks, don't you know?

Aug 1, 2010
MetalGenocide said:
If it's anything like this, then I'm aeiou.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Mars: Now with 100% more
[spoiler/][image/]http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd509/QuickDEMOL1SHER/Astronaut_over_Earth_by_BubiMandril.jpg[/IMG][/spoiler]

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. This sounds awesome. I so wanna do this.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
RhombusHatesYou said:
There better be a minigame with Buzz Aldrin punching moon landing deniers
Agreed.

On topic, I'd buy something like this if they make it interesting and actually do a good job of weaving the history into the game. I've not played too many educational games that were very good, but the good ones I have played I really enjoyed.

RandomMan01

Sep 18, 2012
rhizhim said:
Listen, I love KSP as much as the next guy, but by the sound of this, Space Manager will be more focused on the economic/political details, while KSP is more focused on the actual details of space flight.