Aliens: Colonial Marines Review - Game Over, Man

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Aliens: Colonial Marines Review - Game Over, Man

Your second trip to LV-426 isn't going to top the first.

Read Full Article

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I'll be honest here. I'm an aliens fanboy.

Not just fan. Nononono. Fanboy. The moment aliens or even just colonial marines are involved I become like a ten year old child seeing a firetruck; I'm still going to think it's cool, even if it turned up to fight a massive fire at a bunny orphanage.

So, a kinda meh game, but I still think I'll enjoy it. Worth a try, in any case.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Called it?

I can't actually remember if I called it, but I bloody well should have.

Ah well, this was never going to be more than Steam sale fodder anyway.

EDIT: It's getting its arse comprehensively whooped on Metacritic [http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/aliens-colonial-marines]. Even Jim, such a hardcore fan of all things Alien that he defended Alien 3, absolutely hated it [http://www.destructoid.com/review-aliens-colonial-marines-244276.phtml].

Also, turns out I did call it, kind of [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/9.399882.16416521].

Andytizer

Sep 16, 2010
Bugs, fixes and workarounds for PC version: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Aliens:_Colonial_Marines - including intro skipping, Steam failed to start and disable mouse smoothing.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well, that's a little bit disappointing. Aw well, don't have that much cash at the moment anyway.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Can't say I'm surprised since everything I've seen of the game has looked mediocre at best.

By the sounds of it, Gearbox may have only made the multiplayer. Just a rumor though.
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/02/12/how-much-of-aliens-colonial-marines-did-gearbox-actually-make

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I know that it's an old theme, but what's up with the star rating?

The review is almost entirely made up of negatives (or could be good... buts), yet it's worth 3/5? That's (literally) not half bad, but the review says it's almost all bad. Needs more consistency!

As for the game, you no it's not good when there's no video review.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
amiran123 said:
Never really got why this game got so hyped up.

I watched some gameplay and it looked a bit generic to be honest. Not to mention the fact that Gearbox is known for releasing generic, uninspired games (read: Duke Nukem).
Gearbox makes decent games most of the time, and they only worked on the multiplayer. TimeGate Studios did most of the campaign, and their record is... less than stellar (considering all they've ever done are F.E.A.R. spinoffs)
That really pisses me off to no end. Why would they outsource it? That's kinda stupid since most of what I've been hearing from them is how it's Canon and authentic it is. Despite this, I'm still picking it up (since I preordered the game) and will try to enjoy myself.

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
fix-the-spade said:
I know that it's an old theme, but what's up with the star rating?

The review is almost entirely made up of negatives (or could be good... buts), yet it's worth 3/5? That's (literally) not half bad, but the review says it's almost all bad. Needs more consistency!

As for the game, you no it's not good when there's no video review.
I've noticed the only times a game gets a 1 is when the game is completely broken to the point of unplayability (Amy, Steel Battalion), and 2 goes to games that only marginally function and barely entertains. 3 seems to the baseline for games that work, but aren't very good.
Right. The game *functions* just fine. It's not broken by any stretch of the imagination. The mechanics that are in place, while antiquated, do work as intended. There are some good bits here as well, and at times you'll actually feel like you're playing the Aliens game you always wanted, but it doesn't last long. The multiplayer is great, the music is superb, and there are a few tiny details and nods for Aliens fans that I will not spoil.

However, the graphical issues, the non-existant plot, and the seemingly wanton slaughtering of Aliens canon brings it down quite a bit.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
You run around locations on LV-426 after Aliens?

Ok, the derelict spaceship could have been way, way away for all we know, but otherwise everywhere else on the planet they went to...um...no.

DoctorObviously

May 22, 2009
Aliens is kinda like Star Wars now. There are only a handful of good installments for the franchise (Alien, Aliens) and the rest is crap.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
This is disappointing. I love Aliens and had high hopes for this game.

And my post makes this kind of confusing, what.

spookydom

Aug 31, 2009
Ummm.....I'm actually enjoying it so far. Could have been better but don't think it is deserving the bashing it's getting. Not disapointed in my pre order and having fun playing co-op. Have owned every Aliens game since my Amstrad 464 days. Would have preferd Ai like in the original AVP 1 and 2 but it's not as good. Am I the only one who's enjoying it or what?

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
3 Stars? Huh, this is the most positive review I've seen so far. Everyone else is setting fire to the thing. I'm disappointed myself, I was hoping this would be a great game, but I guess not.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
well, never had a huge interest to play it. 6-8 hours long is not worth my money. and from the sound of it, its mainly shooting aliens down.
so i will give it a pass and wait till its really cheap to get and when i have nothing better to play.