Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time Review

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time Review

Worth most of its weight in (stolen) gold.

Read Full Article

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
Every once in awhile, a game comes out that makes me awfully sad I don't have a PS3 anymore. This is one of those games. I guess I'll just have tearfully play all three of my old cooper games. Hopefully I can steal one my friend's PS3s and play this...

azriel2422

Jul 19, 2010
I was just about to ask which platform this...platformer was on lol. I guess I'll be picking this up then!

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
I sure messed up this generation. Pretty much every game I'm interested in is on the PS3.

It saddens me that this is only the second review I've seen on the internet so far. The Sly series is truly underrated.

How many additional playable characters are there? Apart from the main 4 (Sly, Bently, Murray and Carmelita).

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Ahh, Sly Cooper. My old friend. Sly 2 was the first game I finished 100%.

It shall be a joy and a pleasure to meet him again, my oldest and dearest of friends. How I love him. <3

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
FFP2 said:
I sure messed up this generation. Pretty much every game I'm interested in is on the PS3.

It saddens me that this is only the second review I've seen on the internet so far. The Sly series is truly underrated.

How many additional playable characters are there? Apart from the main 4 (Sly, Bently, Murray and Carmelita).
5. They're Sly's ancestors from each time period you visit. Though none of them are Henriette "One-Eyed" Cooper Pirate/Thief Ancestor. Though they mention her again in one of the jobs.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Lucane said:
5. They're Sly's ancestors from each time period you visit. Though none of them are Henriette "One-Eyed" Cooper Pirate/Thief Ancestor. Though they mention her again in one of the jobs.
Are they playable in any time period after you do the one that they're in? And how's the ending?

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
FFP2 said:
Lucane said:
Are they playable in any time period after you do the one that they're in? And how's the ending?
The ending is... well. Let's just say this isn't the last adventure for the Cooper gang. And if it is, I'll be mad. Also, there's a secret ending. But I haven't seen it yet, so I can't make a comment on it.
Lucane said:
As a bonus you can see Clockwork in seveal moments threw time standing out of reach at some points in time though always in the full metal body.(I haven't personally seen him in all 5 time periods yet just 2 so far.)
WHAT. I had no idea that was in the game.

To be honest, I'm a little disappointed they didn't involve past-Clockwork(s) or Sly's dad. I figured this would be the perfect plot to do that.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Ah, I was wondering when The Escapist would have their Sly 4 review. I enjoyed this. Shit was flipped when I heard this game was coming out (the trailer came out 3 minutes after I assured my friend "No way there's going to be a Sly game shown here"). I remember back in 2011 there were SO many people who thought this game would flop. No Sucker Punch, no sale. Judging by the $40 price tag on the PS3 version and the lack of marketing, odds are Sony wasn't confident either. A lot of the fanbase also likes Jak and Daxter, and the wounds from Lost Frontier (a Jak and Daxter title not made by Naughty Dog) were still pretty fresh. While I had my cautious optimism (since not a single person who played the demos or checked it out at E3 had anything bad to say), I'm glad a lot of the naysayers are joyfully eating their words.

Pretty much my opinions are reflected in the article. The game isn't perfect. It's not even the best in the series. But it's still solid. At worst it's a lateral step in a good thing, or a decent cover of a legendary swansong. But it's GOOD. Looks pretty, handles well, lots of personality, and it's fun. The pacing and variety aren't as good and a bit too much exposition, but it's a good buy (especially at $40 for PS3 and $30 for Vita).

Game industry? Hello? Ya, we need to talk. This game has been sold out everywhere I go to and is getting decent reviews. There is a largely untapped audience of good AAA 3D platformer fans who want more than just Marios and Sonics. We want you to have our money. Other than Mario and Sonic, the only new AAA 3D platformers I can think of to come out since 2010 were games like Epic Mickey (1 and 2) and 2 stumbling Ratchet and Clanks.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
FFP2 said:
Lucane said:
Yes, but only in the "present" or their own time period. The ending? Well I won't spoil anything but it seems they've altered a few story elements touched on and/or made in the Sly 2 and 3. ALso I felt they could of given the final boss a better design style than what he ends up getting.

As a bonus you can see Clockwork in seveal moments threw time standing out of reach at some points in time though always in the full metal body.(I haven't personally seen him in all 5 time periods yet just 2 so far.)

purifico

Oct 29, 2009
WMDogma said:
Each of the games' levels are set up in a quasi-open world environment,
Oh god. I guess i won't be getting this game after all.

I loved the simplicity and straightfowardness of the first Sly Cooper. And got more and more annoyed with the open-world of the second and third games. I found them to be horribly implemented. Which is surprising considering how the dueling titles of Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter got the whole 'open-world' thing just right. And also how their later title of inFamous also did a great job of creating an open world game.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Raggedstar said:
Other than Mario and Sonic, the only new AAA 3D platformers I can think of to come out since 2010 were games like Epic Mickey (1 and 2) and 2 stumbling Ratchet and Clanks.
Rayman Origins (and Legends soon... ish), but I guess you're speciffically referring to 3D platformers, wich there's a serious lack of those... and I miss them :'(

But yeah, beyond that, this and many, many more games are starting to irk my lack of a PS3, it's a damn, damn shame it's so expensive in my country, games and hardware alike.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
SupahGamuh said:
Raggedstar said:
Other than Mario and Sonic, the only new AAA 3D platformers I can think of to come out since 2010 were games like Epic Mickey (1 and 2) and 2 stumbling Ratchet and Clanks.
Rayman Origins (and Legends soon... ish), but I guess you're speciffically referring to 3D platformers, wich there's a serious lack of those... and I miss them :'(
Ya, meant more 3D platformers than 2D. More AAA 2D would be good too (like the Rayman Origins/Legends, which I'm super-dooper excited for), but at least the indies have had a lot of good work. 3D platformers are more complicated and costly to get right, so not many indies have done a lot with the genre. So ya, serious lack of them indeed.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I'm willing to bet Sly Cooper could not possibly have less stabbing in it than Assassin's Creed 3. :p

The

Jan 24, 2012
Lucane said:
FFP2 said:
Lucane said:
Yes, but only in the "present" or their own time period. The ending? Well I won't spoil anything but it seems they've altered a few story elements touched on and/or made in the Sly 2 and 3. ALso I felt they could of given the final boss a better design style than what he ends up getting.

I only saw him once in Medieval England sitting upon a clock tower. I spent a good five minutes staring him down. It was one of the most emotional moments of my gaming experience.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
Ah, right!

I kinda forgot that this was coming out. I got excited when I first saw the trailer. Gonna have to pick it up when I get a little extra monies.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Let's be real here;

It's the other way around, assassin's creed plays like a sly cooper game with more complex climbing, and a bigger focus on stabbing.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
I just recently played through and Plantinum'd this game and I have to say...not a bad first effort Sanzaru.

I do have a few gripes though:

1. The characters and the general mood of the whole game seems more lighthearted than the premise would suggest. In the first three games there were still jokes, sarcastic comments, and good ol' tough guy talk but here the game just seems overly saturated with it.

For all the...cartooniness of the first three games there was also a seriousness the balanced it out really well. Sly was plenty funny but he knew when the to make jokes and when to be serious. In this game it seems that, with a few exceptions, he's not taking it very seriously at all.

Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't played the original 3 in a while and haven't gotten the Sly HD collection yet, but something just seems...off about this game compared to it's predecessors.

2. The villains don't seem all that threatening compared to the ones of previous games.

Even Le Paradox, the main baddie, just seems like a step down from guys like Clockwerk and Doctor M. But like before that may be just me.

3. The game feels kinda short and rushed at points. And the difficulty seems a tad easy.

But despite these minor complaints, I liked the game. I think it was a pretty decent first effort by Sanzaru, and I really hope that if/when there's a sequel these points get addressed. If they do then I think the next game will be a truly incredible experience.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Dreadman75 said:
I just recently played through and Plantinum'd this game and I have to say...not a bad first effort Sanzaru.

I do have a few gripes though:

1. The characters and the general mood of the whole game seems more lighthearted than the premise would suggest. In the first three games there were still jokes, sarcastic comments, and good ol' tough guy talk but here the game just seems overly saturated with it.

For all the...cartooniness of the first three games there was also a seriousness the balanced it out really well. Sly was plenty funny but he knew when the to make jokes and when to be serious. In this game it seems that, with a few exceptions, he's not taking it very seriously at all.

Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't played the original 3 in a while and haven't gotten the Sly HD collection yet, but something just seems...off about this game compared to it's predecessors.

2. The villains don't seem all that threatening compared to the ones of previous games.

Even Le Paradox, the main baddie, just seems like a step down from guys like Clockwerk and Doctor M. But like before that may be just me.

3. The game feels kinda short and rushed at points. And the difficulty seems a tad easy.

But despite these minor complaints, I liked the game. I think it was a pretty decent first effort by Sanzaru, and I really hope that if/when there's a sequel these points get addressed. If they do then I think the next game will be a truly incredible experience.
1. I'll agree that it's a little more wacky than the other three, but in this day and age I think that's the point. Personally I think there's a bit too much seriousness in gaming... especially where it doesn't belong (looking at you, Jak). I actually have more respect for Sanzaru that they went 'Sly is cartoon animal Lupin III, and we refuse to darken the mood for the mainstream, you will take your sugary humor and you will LIKE IT'.

2. True, but the game DID start up a recurring villain that will be a semi-shock for some Sly fans, and you should at least give them props for pulling that twist.

3. Not sure, but I'm guessing this game is actually the longest of the series. The Sly series is usually anywhere from 8-12 hours, usually without much replayability. This one has relatively challenging collectibles to gather, and doesn't resort to time challenges or harder minigame challenges for fluff. Personally I think they found a happy medium with this title.