Father Gives Son the Gift of an AT-AT Bed

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Father Gives Son the Gift of an AT-AT Bed

Race car beds were once the coolest beds around, but no longer. A DIY project by probably the nicest dad ever has resulted in the ultimate snooze station for any boy: the AT-AT bed.

Time to add another item to the "Things I Wish I Had When I Was a Kid" list. One lucky boy with a very crafty (and very nerdy dad) is now the owner of a AT-AT [http://www.instructables.com/id/Star-Wars-AT-AT-Imperial-Walker-Loft-Bed/] made famous in The Empire Strikes Back.

The bed's on the bottom and the AT-AT towers above it. It's got a detailed paint job recreating all the panels and parts of the AT-AT, and you can even climb up into the top and pretend to take it for a ride before getting off via a ladder, or, if you're a real badass, the escape hatch built into the floor.

How did dad pull it off? Well it's apparently not so hard, he says, admitting to having no prior construction experience aside from putting together a swing set from Home Depot and making Halloween props. The bed is essentially just a regular old loft style you see in dorm rooms, with wooden panels attached to create the AT-AT body. The designs are stenciled on in Sharpie and the head was built from sculpting foam.

All the details are there, except for a couple issues. One, the kid has Transformers bedding. No problem with Transformers here, but if you're going to have an AT-AT bed, you've got to have matching bedding. Two, the kid, who's dressed as Darth Vader, has a purple Mace Windu lightsaber. No, that won't work either. Sorry, but the little things do matter.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
That's awesome. Now, all they need to do is mechanize the legs so it can move. And mount a laser cannon on it.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
/Jealous.

Truly, I am jealous.
madbird-valiant said:
That kid is one lucky little shit. I wish my dad had gotten me an AT-AT bed. ;-; And an AT-ST armchair.
This sums up my feelings on it quite well.

I might just have to plan a heist..

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
Radeonx said:
That's awesome. Now, all they need to do is mechanize the legs so it can move. And mount a laser cannon on it.
I can't imagine a better gift.

Seriously.
A place where you can take a nap and hold the world hostage?
If only there was a second one, you could take over the world with your friend, take naps, and race. In AT-AT's. I can't think of a more awesome racing mechanism.

Adam

Apr 28, 2009
An AT-AT bed....damn why didn't I ever think of that? All we need now is a Darth Vader pod bed.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Time to add another item to the "Things I Wish I Had When I Was a Kid" list.
Screw that! I wish I had it now!
I'm not so sure my wife would be as agreeable, but it'd grow on her....though I'm not sure my playing in it and making laser noises would grow on her. She gets rather irritable sometimes...when I'm acting like a 6 year old.