Bungie Plans to Reveal Destiny Soon

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
Bungie Plans to Reveal Destiny Soon

The company releases details on its "brave new world" in a matter of days.

Bungie wasn't quite ready to reveal its upcoming game Destiny as early as late last year, but a leak forced the PR department to spill some initial details [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120837-Bungie-Reveals-Snapshot-of-Its-Destiny]. If that wasn't enough to sate your appetite for more information on Bungie's next project, you'll only have to wait a few more days for the company to finally talk about its Destiny.

A blog post on Bungie's website announced an official reveal is coming soon for its upcoming title (and yes, it will actually be called Destiny). "In a matter of days, we're going to give you your first glimpse into the vision and ambition that's driving the creation of our brave new world," the post teases. The Destiny Facebook page provides a more specific date, stating that the reveal will be "right here on Feb 17".

Plenty of social media options are already up and running: Facebook users can add the the new Google+ page [http://www.facebook.com/destinythegame].

Last year's leak uncovered some basic plot details, painting a story of a fallen human race scattered throughout the solar system. Players will possibly take control of a Knight in the Last City, defending the surviving members of humanity against hostile alien races. They'll be assisted by the Traveler: an alien vessel that presides over the planet.

Time will tell if any of these details remain the same. In the meantime, you can try your hand at solving the the previously leaked screenshots [http://alphalupi.bungie.net/?day=0] one final time.

Source: Bungie [http://www.bungie.net/en-US/View/community/blog/News?aid=10219]

Dec 14, 2009
I'm so glad Bungie has stopped making sci-fi FPS where humanity is threatened by aliens to make a sci-fi FPS where [sub]humanity[/sub][sub][sub]is threatened by[/sub][/sub][sub][sub][sub]aliens...[/sub][/sub][/sub]

Oh...

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
I'm so glad Bungie has stopped making sci-fi FPS where humanity is threatened by aliens to make a sci-fi FPS where [sub]humanity[/sub][sub][sub]is threatened by[/sub][/sub][sub][sub][sub]aliens...[/sub][/sub][/sub]

Oh...
Well, cyberpunk got them nowhere and high fantasy RTS has too much competition. What are they supposed to do?

OT: Sounds good. Though I'm curious as to just what a "Knight" is. Do we get swords? Because that would be cool.

R.Nevermore said:
You think that the only remaining genres in the game industry are Sci-Fi fps, cyberpunk and high fantasy rts?
It's a joke playing upon Bungie's resume of games.

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
I'm excited to see what they have to offer. I mean it's been a decade since the last non-halo Bungie game.

I respect them as a developer, and I love their work, so I'm excited.

R.Nevermore

Mar 28, 2008
Xpwn3ntial said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Oh...
Well, cyberpunk got them nowhere and high fantasy RTS has too much competition. What are they supposed to do?

OT: Sounds good. Though I'm curious as to just what a "Knight" is. Do we get swords? Because that would be cool.
You think that the only remaining genres in the game industry are Sci-Fi fps, cyberpunk and high fantasy rts?

OT:I've never been the biggest bungie fan admittedly, but for all of the samie, uncreative, seen-it-before flowing around in the game industry... This actually somewhat intrigues me.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Daystar Clarion said:

Oh...
Really it's probably best to stick to what you're good at.

OT: Color me interested.

samahain

Sep 23, 2010
Well its about time. Been swooning and wondering over that one screenshot for a while!

PoloniumFist

Aug 30, 2011
Timothy Chang said:
Last year's leak uncovered some basic plot details, painting a story of a fallen human race scattered throughout the solar system. Players will possibly take control of a Knight in the Last City, defending the surviving members of humanity against hostile alien races. They'll be assisted by the Traveler: an alien vessel that presides over the planet.
Oh good, it still looks like they're still doing Halo. I was worried.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
All I can say is that I hope it's a better Halo than Halo 4. If not, though, at least it's a new universe that hasn't been tainted by many hands like Descartes' house metaphor.

Fudj

May 1, 2008
Colour me interested, i would like it to be a Fallout-esque game where exploration is a big thing rather then a linear FPS with travel to other planets (unless that the planned DLC's which would actually be really interesting to have another planet added each time) i would love to wonder round the faded glory of humanity......picking up every lose object i could find just in case it is useful.

Never been a Bungie fanboy or overly much into Halo, so i will be interested to see which way this goes, though i do hope its not an MMO

TheJerome9157

Feb 11, 2013
Bungie has found a genre they're good at, they've made money, good games, and a large multi-layered fanbase from doing this.
They're probably the greatest company of the entire FPS genre this last decade (not that it's hard to be, the FPS genre is pretty lacklustre), they're established at making interesting and expansive science fiction universes using tropes and themes from the 70's and 80's, with a more contemporary mindset, and they're good at it, to have them do something completely different out of curiosity seems like a hell of a waste.
That's why I'm looking forward to Destiny, a game entirely of their own artistic vision and making without being held back by the will of Microsoft.
It's obvious they've been leading up to this from their Marathon days, although I don't doubt that most people on The Escapist who see this article will simply presume "The Halo people are making a new game like Halo? YAWN!", this is The Escapist after all.

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
TheJerome9157 said:
Bungie has found a genre they're good at, they've made money, good games, and a large multi-layered fanbase from doing this.
They're probably the greatest company of the entire FPS genre this last decade (not that it's hard to be, the FPS genre is pretty lacklustre), they're established at making interesting and expansive science fiction universes using tropes and themes from the 70's and 80's, with a more contemporary mindset, and they're good at it, to have them do something completely different out of curiosity seems like a hell of a waste.
That's why I'm looking forward to Destiny, a game entirely of their own artistic vision and making without being held back by the will of Microsoft.
It's obvious they've been leading up to this from their Marathon days, although I don't doubt that most people on The Escapist who see this article will simply presume "The Halo people are making a new game like Halo? YAWN!", this is The Escapist after all.
I agree. I'm interested because Bungie is a developer that has always stuck to its vision and knows what it's good at.

They aren't 'the Halo people', they're 'that twenty year old developer that just so happened to hit it out of the park with Halo'

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Huge Bungie fanboy here and I am now so excited that I really fear for the safety of those around me.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Wonder if this will be a launch title for next gen? Im sure MS will pay big bucks for it after how Halo sold the Xbox.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Xpwn3ntial said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Was that what the issue was? I was under the impression that their biggest failure was trying to market video games exclusively on Macs long before such a thing was genuinely applicable.

Marathon was a good series, and I'd love to see a revival of the franchise, but that was a rough climate back then. That would be like if a shiny, new game developer made games exclusive to the N-Gage today.

Granted Macs caught up with PCs a some time ago, but not back in 1993.

And that Pippin port didn't help things either.

Neofishie

Sep 23, 2010
More than anything, I love the fact that Bungie takes the time to create enemies that aren't just the player but worse. I plan on keeping an eye on this, just so long as there isn't a library mentioned anywhere...

MasterBrief

Nov 14, 2012
Sounds interesting no doubt it will be good. Was hoping for them to actually reboot Marathon in some shape or form. Would also be nice for them to do something not strictly alien related and not an FPS.