Sony May Have a Last Guardian Announcement Soon

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Sony May Have a Last Guardian Announcement Soon

The Last Guardian's creative supervisor advises fans to "keep an eye out.

The Last Guardian has been in development since approximately 2007, and a six-year development time is a long time [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10187-Aliens-Colonial-Marines-Review-Game-Over-Man?utm_source=reviews&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all] since any news surfaced about Team Ico's latest project, but fans may not have to wait too much longer. Creative supervisor Fumito Ueda took to his website recently to assure fans that while he had no control over releasing information about the game, Sony should have a statement about it ready in the near future.

Although Ueda left Sony a while back, he continues to work on The Last Guardian in a freelance capacity, and maintains some creative control over the project. "[The game] is still in development by an incredibly talented team," he insists. Ueda adds that Sony, not he, decides when to release more information about the game. "I should also mention that details regarding The Last Guardian's release is (sic) solely decided by Sony Computer Entertainment, not myself. Please keep an eye out for their official announcement."

Given that Sony is sitting on some big news [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121823-Sony-Teases-Possible-PlayStation-4-Announcement] for February 20, an update about The Last Guardian's progress is not off the table. However, don't be too shocked if nothing materializes; as you know, the game is no stranger to delays.

Source: Fumito Ueda's Website [http://www.fumi.to/]

Dec 14, 2009
Who wants to bet that's spent so long in development that it's now slated for a PS4 release...

In about 3 more years -_-

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
It would be nice if we got some news. But then this game has been in development for so long I fear the DNF syndrome may strike a third time.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Who wants to bet that's spent so long in development that it's now slated for a PS4 release...

In about 3 more years -_-
I hope not. I would absolutely love for this game to come for the PS3. Best not to get my hopes up though huh?

Either way, at least SOME kind of information about the game is coming out soon.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
Wouldn't be all that surprised if it was a PS4 release, since from what I understand it was technological limitations that were causing all the problems this game was having. Maybe another console generation is all it needed. Or maybe they just think that having The Last Guardian as a PS4 launch title will encourage people to buy the new console.

Also, Fumito Ueda is a very sexy man. I thought that was important to mention.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
EmperorSubcutaneous said:
Wouldn't be all that surprised if it was a PS4 release, since from what I understand it was technological limitations that were causing all the problems this game was having. Maybe another console generation is all it needed.
To be perfectly honest, it might not be a bad idea for them to hold it back for the PS4. While an entire console generation without a Team Ico game would kind of suck, it's worth remembering that when Shadow of the Colossus came out it was right at the limit of what the PS2 could handle. It was basically a next-generation game released on a console which, at that point, was showing its age, and it's quite possible the same thing will happen here. So yeah, might be in their interests to keep it back until the next generation kicks off.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
I will admit, if the Last Guardian is a launch title, I may have to break down and get the next Playstation. It looks like one of those really charming sorts of games, and I think I definitely need to try it.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Ironic that both this and Half-Life 2 episode 3 have really long development times.

I do not, however, want another Duke Nukem Forever, so I hope that Team Ico(and Valve) aren't being idiots with all of the time they have to put TLG together.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
If they intend to launch Last Guardian as a PS4/Orbis launch, I'd be ok with that. Seems like they really want to make this game as good as it can, though admitedly they probably could have made a great game with the tech they had. Still, games in this long of a development cycle might not live up to the hope and hype. I hope it is going to knock my socks off however.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I honestly don't even care if that becomes a launch title for the PS4 because I will fork over the cash for it.

I just want to play that game dammit, is that too much to ask for?!

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
The PS4 is certainly the next-gen console I'll be keeping an eye on. I already got a WiiU and nothing Microsoft could realistically announce will get me remotely interested in the NextBox, but the PS4 could possibly sway me. And Last Guardian as a launch window title would certainly be a good start. Not a system seller for me, but certainly a big point in its favor.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
It's okay if you never release this, Sony. We needed a new game to be the infamous leader of all vaporware now that Duke Nukem Forever has actually come out.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I think the main difference between this and Alien Colonial Marines as well as Duke Nukem is that it's always been made by the same developer. The other two flitted between teams, so a lack of cohesion makes sense.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Ok ok, I know what this means. I'll get my $500 or so ready in a nice little envelope so I can buy the console and game. No regrets. Considering I nearly got a heart attack from just the headline, I'm in too deep to go back now and wait for reviews.

...unless it's a PS3 title after all, and in that case Sony will have to wait for the rest when a new main series Ratchet and Clank comes.

EmperorSubcutaneous said:
Also, Fumito Ueda is a very sexy man. I thought that was important to mention.
Quoted for truth. Rare case of a man being both sexy in mind AND body.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I seem to be in the minority here that thinks dwelling in the promise of Last Guardian is pointless and probably hurting Sony's reputation at this point. Look at all the people that said they got interested on the PS3 because of this game. Do they seriously expect people to fall for that again? Without even a trailer? Do they seriously think people is that stupid to fall for that dangling carrot? (ok, don't answer that)

They are not holding it for technical reasons; they are holding it for commercial reasons. There is no way it can live up to expectations, and they know it; but as long as they can be vague about it, they will keep people hostage to the idea of such a perfect game.

Me? I will not be waiting for this game. If it ever comes out, I might check it out, but I am not marking any calendar, not counting the days or expecting anything; At this point, I believe Kingdom Hearts 3, Half Life 3, Killer Instinct 3 and Freespace 3 are more likely than that game.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
If only Team Ico had realized girls are allowed to wear pants now, we'd already have this game.
This is my biggest issue with the series (and with the glorious, radiant face of Fumito Ueda). I'm not sure why he thinks that a girl wearing pants and having stamina is somehow less believable than a 30 foot tall baby gryphon.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I'm calling it; longest troll ever that someone just didn't quite know how to end because of the following awkwardness.

...And Squeenix joined in at some point with Versus XIII.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
So it's actually still in development, that's nice to know.
Square keeps saying Versus in still in development too. I hope these companies aren't lying to me.

I also hope that it's not a PS4 release, since I don't want to shell out for a PS4 at launch, but if that were the case, the delays would make sense. If they ran into technical issues with the PS3, just upgrade the technology.