Valve's Newell Issues Firings Statement

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Valve's Newell Issues Firings Statement

"We're not going to discuss why anyone in particular is or isn't working here," says Gabe Newell.

In the wake of an as yet unknown number of firings/layoffs/downsizing at Valve - including the likes of Jeri Ellsworth [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122094-Update-Valve-Fires-Hardware-Guru] and possibly also Jason Holtman, though the circumstances of his departure are unclear - Gabe Newell has issued a statement. There's nothing to worry about, he says, and that's pretty much all he says.

The full statement reads as follows:

We don't usually talk about personnel matters for a number of reasons. There seems to be an unusual amount of speculation about some recent changes here, so I thought I'd take the unusual step of addressing them. No, we aren't cancelling any projects. No, we aren't changing any priorities or projects we've been discussing. No, this isn't about Steam or Linux or hardware or [insert game name here]. We're not going to discuss why anyone in particular is or isn't working here.

Valve isn't a publicly traded company, and consequently doesn't have to have the same level of shareholder-reassuring PR that, say, a Blizzard would. That said, Valve is a Officer Krupke [http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/09/technology/valve-a-video-game-maker-with-few-rules.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0] impression may not be enough to curb speculation, this time.

Source: Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/13/valve-gabe-newell-layoffs-statement/]

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
When you OWN a company you do sort of have the right to decide who you do or do not employ. Discussing reasons for termination by a company can also be a breach of privacy of the individual. Many a lawsuit has been started on grounds of a company making a public statement about an individual, ruining their potential employment opportunities in the future and therefore drastically harming their personal livelihood.

The few who really do know what will happen are obliged NOT to tell the public and those who were laid off/fired will not likely have been told the true reason for their dismissal.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I think it's obvious what's happened - the cuddly Gabe we know and love has been replaced by his evil self from a parallel dimension, which explains his Beard of Evil. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BeardOfEvil]

Either that or he found out they've just been arsing about for the last eight years instead of working on Half Life 3 like they were supposed to.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
All we need to know is that Valve is still alive and well and nothing has changed, projects are still going and the lights are still on. Why some of the gamers here feel the NEED/RIGHT to know someones personal life is beyond me. They are not celebs, Gabe and Valve dont owe us shit (cept wtf has happend to HL3 but thats a diff topic lol)

As long as valve are still around im happy. THQ died, Gas POwered Games might be in trouble now... so just be happy for that. And the fact we will see a HL3 at some point in the future

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
There are a lot of potential reasons for people, even entire teams, leaving a company; most are far less intriguing than what everyone is trying to build this up to

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
I bet they tried to convince Gabe to release the already-completed Half Life 3.

"What? Nonsense! You are fired, all of you!"

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
CrossLOPER said:
I like how people are more defensive when the company involved is Valve.
To be fair people have ample reason to be that way when it comes to Valve, nobody wants to think something might be wrong with them when you've got hundreds or possibly thousands of dollars worth of games tied to their platform.

So yeah, hopefully this has all happened for a really mundane reason and nothing is wrong behind the scenes at Valve.

Apr 28, 2008
I love how people go "Well it's a company/business, this happens all the time!"

That implies Valve is like most companies/businesses. True, they are one, but remember that they have never laid off or fired this many people at once. Or this many people period. It's pretty damn unprecedented for them. Especially considering this type of thing seems like standard procedure in the games industry at large.

It's very curious.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Irridium said:
I love how people go "Well it's a company/business, this happens all the time!"

That implies Valve is like most companies/businesses. True, they are one, but remember that they have never laid off or fired this many people at once. Or this many people period. It's pretty damn unprecedented for them. Especially considering this type of thing seems like standard procedure in the games industry at large.

It's very curious.
I'm just irritated that people keep trying to prop up Valve as punk rebels when in fact they're 40-somethings running a business. It's a bit hard to try and act "independent and hip" when you run a goddamn billion-dollar service like Steam.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Gabe's running a business here. People come, people go and it's not always with cheerful smiles and bunches of flowers. He has no obligation to discuss what is clearly a series of private matters.

Plus, Gabe's totally rocking that beard.

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
Let's see, 25 high-profile employees. That's at least $300k/yr saved.

...nope, couldn't have been a financial decision when Valve nets that kind of money weekly.

I'm honestly curious as to why Valve purged that many people at once. Trying to maximize something on the spreadsheets before the end of the Fiscal year?

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
It's good practice for a boss not to discuss reasons for personnel decisions publicly. If Gabe were to tell everyone that so and so was inept, then he'd get a reputation for ruining people's careers and others wouldn't want to work for him. If he discussed openly changes in direction for the company, it could lead to speculation about whether the company has any sense of direction.