Aleens: Coloneeal Mareens

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Actually I believe it's 'Mahreens' ;). Haven't played it, looking forward to it.

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
The difference of atmosphere between the demo and the final product is staggering. They even removed the fog (which helped immensely to give the areas a sense of the unexplored and danger beyond what you can see.) just to make everything crystal clear and shiny.

The base isn't supposed to be crystal clear and shiny.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
Considering how bad Aliens is apparently, and how mad gamers can get. Based on the comparison to Bioware, Gearbox should be burned to the ground by now. Honestly, I think the meteorite that hit in Russia was just gamer rage that missed.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Nouw said:
Actually I believe it's 'Mahreens' ;). Haven't played it, looking forward to it.
Yeah, but that would be "Sphehss Mah'renes! Ahtaaghck!"

Without intentionally gloating, I'm so glad I didn't buy ACM, and the Aliens fans out there who did have my genuine sympathy.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Blaming Gearbox for DNF is unfair. They didn't make the whole game, they just stitched it together from whatever bits 3D realms had. Or maybe not, I have neither the time nor enthusiasm to look deeply into how much Gearbox actually made of the final product. I actually think Gearbox should be congratulated for making gaming history by releasing the definitive "game that will never be released". It might have been a colossal turd (I haven't played, nor do I intend to do so), but merely finishing it and releasing it in stores deserves a tip of a hat from me.

Brainwreck

Dec 2, 2012
I wonder, what are those 3 games they mentioned to have turned the fans against BioWare?
Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2 are obvious, but I have no idea what the third is.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Apparently the fact they didn't technically make the game excuses them for putting a $60 price tag on that turd and unleashing it upon the unsuspecting public. The same excuses will likely be trotted out to defend Colonial Marines. It was made by some shitbox, third-string team;
But they got away with Borderlands and Borderlands 2 and they actually made that game so it looks like that excuse is good enough for everyone. Yeah, I just called Gearbox a shitbox, third-string team.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Weird timing. I saw this just as I saw that Fanboy Joe had put up a review.

He's ranting about how horrible it is, so I suspect he'll give it an 8 of 10.

Anyway, they clearly had enthusiasm. Enough enthusiasm to lie to us with that demo.

BurnedOutMyEyes said:
I wonder, what are those 3 games they mentioned to have turned the fans against BioWare?
Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2 are obvious, but I have no idea what the third is.
ToR? Just a guess.

DarksideFlame

Feb 9, 2011
BurnedOutMyEyes said:
I'm guessing that would be SWTOR

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
It takes a special kind of incompetence when the universe, the characters, the enemies, and the environments have already been designed for you, and all you have to do is imitate... and you still fuck it up, royally. What a disappointment.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Hehehe, great second panel.

Perhaps a series of game critiques in such a manner is called for?

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
BurnedOutMyEyes said:
Either Mass Effect 2 or TOR. For me it was ME2.

Groenteman

Mar 30, 2011
While Gearbox didnt make the game, they did make that demo. That demo looked good. Had the right ambiance, interesting complex AI, pacing, etc etc. No lack of effort or enthusiasm there. It was when they hired whoever they hired to do the rest that they messed up. It is ultimately their responsibility to make sure they people do a good job and they failed badly.

The upside here is that, unlike in Bioware's case, this was not the fault of their inhouse developement team. It was the managers around them, which I hope either learned they get what they pay for, or got replaced with someone compatent.

Dyono

Dec 28, 2011
Loving the new art style! And also this is really sad that people had to wait 2 or so years to get an other installment in the Alien game franchise and have it turn out to be sh*t again, Quite sad, Quite sad...

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I haven't played the game or the demo, but judging by Jim Sterling's video it baffles me that they'd go to all the trouble to release a demo that is better than the finished product. I mean you can talk about cut content, but that doesn't account for having enemy AI that is better in the demo then it is in the finished product. This is why I've lost faith in the games industry.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Nah.. I can't see Bioware style rage here. The fanbases are completely difference.

Bioware fanboys are emotionally-stunted manchildren with nothing else to live for.

Gearbox fanboys are ritalin-popping morons.

The former will never be able to admit that anything their pet studio produces is good (except for a couple of games they can barely remember, which are of course gold-plated masterpieces). The latter will never be able to admit anything is wrong and will keep buying terrible games as long as those games jangle keys in their faces for a few hours.

In both cases, the people who really suffer are the non-fanboys who, of course, noone will listen to because their opinions aren't stupid enough to be newsworthy.

(In case it's not obvious, this is a joke. If you see a grain of truth in it though, then good.. so do I.)

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
I haven't bought games from either Gearbox or Bioware for ages. They don't have anything worth buying except multiplayer shinanigan games that don't have any real ability to hold interest without a dozen people running around doing their own thing in them.

I mean, if someone is going to try doing a multiplayer focused game, they need to at least include the option of some really good bot support.