New Mario & Luigi RPG Hitting 3DS Summer 2013

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
New Mario & Luigi RPG Hitting 3DS Summer 2013

Set in Luigi's dreams, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team is one of several games celebrating the year of Luigi.

Nintendo hosted another installment of Nintendo Direct this morning, and kicked things off with Satoru Iwata declaring 2013 to be "the year of Luigi." In addition to Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, which is due out on March 24 in North America, Luigi will get a lot of screen time in a brand new installment in the Mario & Luigi handheld RPG series. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, which is set inside Luigi's dreams, is due out this summer.

The Mario & Luigi series began with Superstar Saga on the Game Boy Advance in 2003; the last entry came out in 2009 for the DS. That's not to be confused with the Paper Mario RPG games, or, you know, any of the dozens of ongoing series starring either of the Mario brothers.

[gallery=1048]

Since Mario & Luigi: Dream Team was just announced, there aren't a lot of details yet, but with a summer 2013 release window, we should be hearing more in the next few months. This is just one of several Luigi-focused titles coming this year, so it's nice to see that he can finally step out of his brother's shadow after 30 years.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Well considering that the mario & luigi RPG's are some of my favourite games I'll be keeping a close eye on this one, Bowsers Inside Story is a must have for the DS if you ask me...

TheProfessor234

Aug 20, 2010
Man, I played the hell out of Superstar Saga. While Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story both great and fun, I probably only played them for 1/3rd of the time I did for Saga.

But that is besides the point, another Mario & Luigi game is going to be awesome.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm not holding my breath or anything but since this game is taking place in Luigi's dreams then maybe there's a chance we'll finally see Wart make his long over-due return to the series. Then again, back in Mario Bros 2 Wart was in Mario's dreams so maybe not (oh yeah, spoiler alert).

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
Oooh...I just recently bought and beat Partners in Time, the 'weak' one on the series, IMO...so a nice, new one is just what I need!

Viva Green!

Also, wash the foul taste out of my mouth of that HORRIBLE sticker star...

hm, I should write a review...'sticker star as foul as the sticky stuff on envelopes'

burymagnets

Nov 30, 2010
Uratoh said:
Also, wash the foul taste out of my mouth of that HORRIBLE sticker star...

hm, I should write a review...'sticker star as foul as the sticky stuff on envelopes'

I just hope the series won't have lost all its idiosyncratic and characterful elements the way paper mario did. But that was apparantly an order from Miyamoto himself :(

R.I.P Kammy Koopa :'(

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Whoa...this really IS the year of the Weege if that second to last image is any indication! What power is that that is causing about a gabillion Luigis to appear there?!?

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
It's nice to see Luigi getting some recognition. He has traditionally been screwed over by Nintendo by making him Mario's pathetic cowardly foil just to make Mario look better.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Hopefully this will be a good Mario RPG. I was disappointed with Sticker Star so I need a good Mario and Luigi RPG to make up for it. Maybe it will be as good as Bowser's Inside Story.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
GamerMage said:
(Or even comparable to my fav game in the Paper Mario series, Thousand Year Door)
I missed playing that when it came out...but it's the next on my list of games to 'Let's Play' since I'll be playing it blind AND I need to wash Sticker Star out.

All I know about it is that my friend gave me a lower case 'd' and said I'd know what to do when the time came >_>

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Uratoh said:
GamerMage said:
(Or even comparable to my fav game in the Paper Mario series, Thousand Year Door)
All I know about it is that my friend gave me a lower case 'd' and said I'd know what to do when the time came >_>
You sure it wasn't an upside-down 'p'?

*cough cough*

I SAID NOTHING!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway,

I absolutely love the mario RPGs so goddamned much, after personally experience all the RPG elements of paper mario be gut-wrenched from its frail, still-breathing frame, I'm eager for another entry in a series that hit the nail on the proverbial comedy-RPG head 3 times in a row.

"Taking place in Luigi's dreams", can be taken in so many wonderful directions. Can't wait.

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
GamemasterAnthony said:
Whoa...this really IS the year of the Weege if that second to last image is any indication! What power is that that is causing about a gabillion Luigis to appear there?!?
The game partially takes place in Luigi's dreams while he's sleeping. I take it from what they were saying in the Nintendo Direct that Luigi's going to be indulging in a bit of power fantasy.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I never got a chance to play the 2nd or 3rd M&L game, but I liked the first one. I also loved the Paper Mario series until I learned about what happened with Sticker Star. Hopefully this new game will actually be what fans would be expecting and not a cleverly disguised curling sim...

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
VinLAURiA said:
GamemasterAnthony said:
The game partially takes place in Luigi's dreams while he's sleeping. I take it from what they were saying in the Nintendo Direct that Luigi's going to be indulging in a bit of power fantasy.
Well...considering the fact the man gets no love (except from a crazy Sarasalandian princess) despite having saved MARIO'S butt a few times, I'm not surprised.

Actually...I've always suspected that Weege was the REAL hero of Super Mario Land since he and Daisy appear to be a pair. Would make a lot of sense, wouldn't it?