April Ryan's Voice Actress to Return in Dreamfall Chapters

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
April Ryan's Voice Actress to Return in Dreamfall Chapters

Sarah Hamilton is joining the Dreamfall Chapters cast.

Having reached $763,260 of its $850,000 Kickstarter goal with 23 days still on the clock [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120462-Dreamfall-Chapters-Dev-Turning-to-Kickstarter], Dreamfall Chapters may actually be released in my lifetime. Color me surprised.

Even better; according to a recent update on the game's Kickstarter page, voice actress, Sarah Hamilton, will be joining the game's cast. Hamilton was the voice talent behind on-and-off protagonist, April Ryan, who - and here be spoilers - appeared to die at the end of Dreamfall: The Longest Journey.

Will Hamilton be voicing April in some capacity? Probably, but Red Thread Studios is staying quiet on the exact nature of the role.

"Sarah Hamilton's role in Dreamfall Chapters has yet to be revealed," reads the update, "but we're sure fans of April Ryan will start speculating right about...NOW."

April, a struggling art student turned reluctant messiah, was the sole protagonist of the The Longest Journey. In Dreamfall: The Longest Journey she made an abrupt transition from a genre-savvy snarkster to a hardened rebel leader, and ended up playing second fiddle to central protagonist, Zoë Castillo. Without giving too much away, both April and Zoë were in dire straits (the cliché rather than the band) when Dreamfall's infuriating sequel-hook of an ending eventually rolled around. Zoë has been confirmed as one of the three playable characters in Dreamfall Chapters.

Assuming the game's Kickstarter can pull in another hundred grand over the next 23 days, Dreamfall Chapters will reach PCs next November. Mac, Linux and mobile versions will follow should the project reach its stretch goals.

Source: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey/posts/405082]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yay?

She did an awesome job in the first game, but in the second she just sounded weird. I remember checking the credits to see if it was the same person.

And yeah, that was quite the jarring change between games. Was anyone else a bit shocked when she just up and breaks the neck of that one sentry guy?

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Please get funded. Please get funded. I've waited so long for this to happen, I would be mortified if the game failed at the last hurdle. I re-bought Dreamfall: The Longest Journey not too long ago, I might have to play it again to catch up on events.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
At this rate it's going to get overfunded,and April to me was dead,turns out she just fell in the lake after being stabbed with a spear...just a flesh wound mate,it's k.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
T3hSource said:
...and April to me was dead,turns out she just fell in the lake after being stabbed with a spear...just a flesh wound mate,it's k.
That's how it always works.

"Don't bother checking the body guys, nobody could survive a fall like that!"

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Three playable characters, huh? Could that be Zoe, April and Kian, as in Dreamfall itself? I hope so, I'm quite fond of them all.

I'm glad I chipped in to help fund this; The Longest Journey is one of my favourite franchises and I'm excited to think that Dreamfall might one day be concluded... or at least the story will move along.

Lance Icarus

Oct 12, 2007
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS? Time to donate some money to one of my favorite game series of all time!

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:
Three playable characters, huh? Could that be Zoe, April and Kian, as in Dreamfall itself? I hope so, I'm quite fond of them all.
I'd like to see more of Brian's role in the whole thing. I'd add him in as another player so we can learn more about the undreaming.

m19

Jun 13, 2012
I gave up on ever seeing a sequel a long time ago. Looks like this is actually happening.

soitgoes19

Jul 8, 2012
FinalDream said:
Please get funded. Please get funded. I've waited so long for this to happen, I would be mortified if the game failed at the last hurdle. I re-bought Dreamfall: The Longest Journey not too long ago, I might have to play it again to catch up on events.
My thoughts exactly. I've been checking the kickstarter page at least twice a day to see how funding is coming along. It's slowed down considerably the past couple of days, but it's still taking in donations steadily enough to reach it's goal. I think it's stuck in that awkward spot where it's so close to its goal that people figure their donation isn't necessary for it to get funding. Especially since the campaign has 3 weeks left to run. As long as the team keeps releasing updates I think everything will be alright.

Yesterday I went into my garage and fished out my 6-disc copy of Dreamfall. I was expecting to have issues running it on Windows 7, but so far I haven't had problems. Chapters is supposed to include a recap of events, but I'm replaying DF anyways. Even if it means going through that awful cavern stealth sequence again.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
octafish said:
Long live Adventure Games. I am loving this Point and Click revival!
Just curious but have you played the games? The Longest Journey was a traditional point and click adventure game, but the sequel Dreamfall was an 'adventure' game in more the modern sense. There was no actual point & clicking in that game.

Personally while I like retro games and can respect the old point & click adventures I could never really get into the genre. But I absolutely loved what they did with Dreamfall.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
I am soooo torn.

will this be like THe longest Journey? Then I will gibe all my money to him

will it be like Dreamfall? Then this project can go to hell.

or will he be telling the whole story over AGAIN,just now in FIVE chapters?

Questions...

schtingah

Jun 1, 2011
BloodRed Pixel said:
I am soooo torn.

will this be like THe longest Journey? Then I will gibe all my money to him

will it be like Dreamfall? Then this project can go to hell.

or will he be telling the whole story over AGAIN,just now in FIVE chapters?

Questions...
They've openly admitted that they made mistakes with dreamfall and are going back to more TLJ's style. No more combat and awkward stealth.

axrec1980

Tactical Genius
Apr 30, 2012
Zhukov said:
Yay?

She did an awesome job in the first game, but in the second she just sounded weird. I remember checking the credits to see if it was the same person.
And since Dreamfall came out seven years ago chances are she'll sound even more different.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
I'm just hoping Kian comes back... My theory is that he and April end up together in the end. =D
And yeah, this is going to get funded, I don't see how it could *not* get funded. It's good news, but I really hope they deliver.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
axrec1980 said:
Eleima said:
And yeah, this is going to get funded, I don't see how it could *not* get funded.
Famous last words.
Watch and learn, young grasshopper! I've been keeping my eye on enough Kickstarters to know that when you're 90% of the way there with three weeks to go, it's gonna get there. Especially with something as popular as the Longest Journey IP.
Also... "Famous last words??" As if this not being Kickstarted would kill me?... That could've been worded better.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
tehroc said:
Proverbial Jon said:
I'd like to see more of Brian's role in the whole thing. I'd add him in as another player so we can learn more about the undreaming.
To be fair, the majority of Dreamfall was just a load of new characters with incomplete story arcs. Brian Westhouse is definitely one of the more mysterious ones and I'd also love to learn more about his role. You're probably right; thinking about it he'd make a better joint protagonist.