Final Australian State Passes R18+ Legislation

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Final Australian State Passes R18+ Legislation

Videogames rated R18+ are now legal across all seven states and territories of Australia.

A few years ago, a big push to introduce the R18+ rating for games in Australia gained a lot of support from gamers, concerned parents, and lawmakers. Legislation was passed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117953-Australian-Parliament-Passes-R18-Legislation] and handed on to Australia's seven states and territories, who each had to pass their own "complementary legislation". This week Queensland, the seventh and final state, passed its complementary legislation. All that is left is for Queensland's Governor to sign the bill in to law, and Australians across the whole country will finally be legally able to purchase and play videogames rated R18+.

"The introduction of this classification should be welcome news for parents, who will now have more control over the games their children are playing," said Queensland's Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie. "I encourage parents to be guided by these classifications, as I'm sure many are unaware of the levels of violence and adult material contained in some computer games."

It should be noted that this law is not retroactive, meaning publishers and developers will have to resubmit previously banned games to the Australian Classification Board to receive the new rating. Konami recently submitted its first R18+ rated videogame [http://www.classification.gov.au/Pages/View.aspx?sid=I6M4FBV0PvVsqm2d4Xcv8g%253d%253d&ncdctx=l%252fbsRmXqQH8wppk%2bg%2bAvW3mFbfUVW1uGpL641gJhQSksFogx9gUlu%252fgZ71EceAlA] to be legally sold in Australia.

A long time ago, when videogames consisted of Pong and Pac-man, the Australian Classification Board scoffed at the very idea of videogames one day being realistic enough to warrant an R18+ rating. Thus, the highest classification for any videogame released in Australia was set as MA15+. However, as videogame technology became more and more advanced, it became clear that some games had content that was not suitable for anyone under 18.

This put these games in a kind of legal limbo in Australia. There was no legal rating above MA15+, meaning that if a game was deemed inappropriate for 15 year olds, it was simply banned for sale in the country. While very few games were outright banned (GTA: San Andreas is the most prominent example), many games had their content drastically altered to try and slip past Australian censors. Valve's Left 4 Dead 2, for example, featured heavy censorship of its depictions of violence, and actually had some gameplay elements completely removed.

The new legislation brings videogames in line with movies and television shows, which have had the R18+ rating for many years. It looks like the Australian government has finally come around to acknowledging that hey, adults can play videogames too.

Source: Queensland Parliment [http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/work-of-assembly/bills-and-legislation/current-bills-register]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009

Not that it actually matters that much. I was never particularly affected by the stupid state of affairs.

Still, it's nice to see it fixed.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I honestly cannot believe how quickly this has happened.

Two and a bit years ago it looked like the againsts were going to stall and prevaricate indefinitely until the change to legislation either ran out of steam or was put into pending review oblivion. Suddenly not only has it happened, but it's happened to all of Australia in about seven months.

Congratulations Aussies!

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Holy shit guys. This is actually happening. How many years has it been? If I didn't just have three wisdom teeth pulled out of my skull this morning I'd down a carton of beer in celebration.

Dec 14, 2009
Congrats Australia, you've caught up with the rest of the world.

You must be so proud ¬_¬

Joking aside, this is great news. You guys till have to pay out of the arse for new games, however :D

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
AstaresPanda said:
now maybe they can play L4D2 the way its meant to be played ^.^
I dunno, the German edited version contains Counter Strike weapons.

I'd take a hit in the gore for the presence of the AWP any day, doubly so when a Tank rolls into view...

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
knight steel said:
GOOOOOOOOOO Australia!
WELL DONE!!
FINALLY I"M SO HAPPY ^_^!!!
I fucking love that panda. This is fantastic! Us adults are being treated as such now :D

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
knight steel said:
GOOOOOOOOOO Australia!
WELL DONE!!
I fucking love that panda. This is fantastic! Us adults are being treated as such now :D
OMG YOUR PUSSY IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE ^_^
0_0 wait that came out wrong 0_0
OMG I CAN"T STOP HELP ME
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Finally. Now I'm going to prepare for celebration. I've been waiting for this for so long. Maybe I'll go out and buy a new game too, like X-COM or Journey since I really wanted to play those any way.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
knight steel said:
Evil Smurf said:
knight steel said:
GOOOOOOOOOO Australia!
WELL DONE!!
OMG YOUR PUSSY IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE ^_^
0_0 wait that came out wrong 0_0
OMG I CAN"T STOP HELP ME
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
o_O

Ahoy there sailor.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
AstaresPanda said:
now maybe they can play L4D2 the way its meant to be played ^.^
I always have, but yes finally the proper version will be in stores :)
About time, been looking forward to this for awhile now.

Gavmando

Feb 3, 2009
Of course Queensland was last. They're 20 years behind the rest of the country. It's where Bob Katter spawned from. Nuff said.