1 Million People Have Paid High Price for Angry Birds Trilogy

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
1 Million People Have Paid High Price for Angry Birds Trilogy

Rovio counts its cash as it plans a Wii U version of the mobile trilogy.

While most of the Angry Birds titles for iOS or Android are priced at just a buck or two, there are still apparently plenty of folks willing to pay a console-sized price to play the games on the big screen. According to developer Rovio, the Angry Birds Trilogy for Xbox 360, PS3, and 3DS has sold over 1 million units.

The retail release of the trilogy - which includes Angry Birds, Angry Birds Seasons, and Angry Birds Rio - was priced as high as $40 at launch. That's quite a premium for titles that typically cost as much as pocket change. Extra levels and a few other small perks were included for the console release, but all-in-all, the trilogy was probably still a wee bit overpriced.

But that didn't seem to bother gamers, and Rovio is just fine with the success of the release. In fact, the company and publisher Activison are planning on releasing a Wii U version of the Angry Birds collection later this year.

Source: GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-02-15-angry-birds-trilogy-sells-1-million-units]

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
People only bought the XBox and PS3 versions for the achievements and trophies. You know this to be true, people can't help but boost those e-peens gamerscores. The 3DS, I can't explain. Huge install base of casual gamers, maybe? I'unno.

Jameseh

Rejected from society.
Mar 20, 2009
VanQQisH said:
People only bought the XBox and PS3 versions for the achievements and trophies. You know this to be true, people can't help but boost those e-peens gamerscores. The 3DS, I can't explain. Huge install base of casual gamers, maybe? I'unno.
It is a 250+ hour rated game on Xbox 360 Achievements so I don't think its achievement whores, more confused grandparents at christmas.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
As someone who owns most of the Angry Birds games on his phone, I find it sorta strange that people would choose to spend $30 plus to buy three Angry Birds games when they could spend a tenth of the price to get them each separately.

Of course, I guess that didn't stop my dad from buying me the trilogy for the 3DS even though he knew I already had the games. *facepalm*

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Waste of money. Ok if you have a few minutes to kill waiting for a bus. But on a console? Just crap, go play a proper game and not a time killer.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
scorptatious said:
As someone who owns most of the Angry Birds games on his phone, I find it sorta strange that people would choose to spend $30 plus to buy three Angry Birds games when they could spend a tenth of the price to get them each separately.

Of course, I guess that didn't stop my dad from buying me the trilogy for the 3DS even though he knew I already had the games. *facepalm*
A tenth of the price?

Use an android phone and they are free:)

scorptatious

May 14, 2009
fenrizz said:
scorptatious said:

A tenth of the price?

Don't have an android phone. *shrugs*

Wish I did now, then I would have an extra $5 or so.

Jack Rascal

May 16, 2011
SonOfVoorhees said:
Waste of money. Ok if you have a few minutes to kill waiting for a bus. But on a console? Just crap, go play a proper game and not a time killer.
Kids. Kids would like this game on console. I think it's as simple as that. I cannot, for the life of me, see the appeal of EyePet but that sold over two million units. I really don't think Rovio targeted adult audiences with this release. I don't think it's adults buying all the merchandise either (for themselves).

There are different people interested in different things after all.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Free on Andriod so long as you don't mind ads.

Still, I find its success on consoles baffling. I guess there really is no stopping this franchise. As much as I enjoy the games, their nature is best suited for phones or tablets. Great time killers when you're at the airport or sitting on the toilet. I'd rather have something much more engaging if I'm going to fire up the TV, home theater, and console.

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
scorptatious said:
fenrizz said:
scorptatious said:

A tenth of the price?

And now you partially understand why someone would spend $40 on Angry Birds instead of buying it for their phone--because their phone is a hunk of circuits and speakers that can get calls, send calls, and do bupkis else.

scorptatious

May 14, 2009
Rutskarn said:
scorptatious said:
fenrizz said:
scorptatious said:

A tenth of the price?

And now you partially understand why someone would spend $40 on Angry Birds instead of buying it for their phone--because their phone is a hunk of circuits and speakers that can get calls, send calls, and do bupkis else.
Hmm. Good point.

I'm mostly talking about people who have the kind of phones that could play Angry Birds but choose to buy a console version instead.