Sony Patents "EyePad" Controller

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Sony Patents "EyePad" Controller

The next PlayStation accessory could be a confusingly-named tablet.

Sony has a habit of filing patents for all sorts of potential products that may or may not see the light of day. However, a recently published patent for a tablet-esque PlayStation controller has raised a few eyebrows, and not just because of its suspiciously familiar name.

The "PlayStation EyePad" is the latest development in the series of "Eye" accessories like the PlayStation Eye and the EyeToy before it. The hypothetical controller is dominated by a large flat surface in the center, which could be a number of things: a display screen, a touchscreen, or a Vita-style touchpad (it doesn't appear to be set in stone). Flanking the main screen are the classic PlayStation controls, including a D-pad and four buttons, though the EyePad has only one analog stick.

What sets the EyePad apart is its grab-bag of miscellaneous features. The corners of the main screen contain paired stereoscopic cameras. This means that an object placed in the middle of the controller could be scanned from all angles, allowing anything that fits in the space to be rendered as a full three-dimensional model in a game. The system also makes it possible to use the cameras to scan players' faces, so you can make your in-game character's face match your own real-life mug.

In addition, four glowing LED strips are embedded in the sides of the rectangular controller, which allow it to be recognized by the PlayStation Eye for motion-tracking. This could allow the EyePad to be used as a substitute for a PlayStation Move controller, though the device itself is very different in shape and size from the traditional Move wand.

It's worth noting that this patent doesn't guarantee that the EyePad will ever make it past the prototype stage. If it does end up hitting shelves, though, be prepared to look for it under a different name. The "PlayStation EyePad" seems to be a working title, and Sony probably knows better than to step on Apple's toes with misleading homonyms - it wouldn't be the first time [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120475-Apple-Cant-Use-The-iPhone-Name-in-Mexico] the lawyers at Apple have gone after similarly-named products.

Source: GameChup [http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP2557482A2.pdf]

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
If it ever sees the light of day then hopefully it remains as optional as the eyetoy and playstation eye were, as opposed to Nintendo and probably Microsoft packaging their gimmicky rubbish as standard.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Yep, Apple probably have all their lawyer guns pointed at sony as we speak. I hope it goes better for them then the eye toy.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Oh boy, time to throw Apple and Sony into the ring and watch their hordes of lawyers wrestle it out for the title of World Champion Patent Trolls. Funny thing is, Sony might have a case because unless I'm mistaken, the "EyeToy" came around long before the "iAnything."

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Wow... That isn't a blatant rip-off of an Ipad or a WiiU Controller... Nope... (/Sarcasm)

I think there isn't a shadow of a doubt now, the PS4 Controller is coming with a touch screen of some type.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008

STOP ANTAGONIZING THE APPLE PATENT LAWYERS!! STOP IT! STOP IT RIGHT NOW!!

*clears throat*

I really hope they're aware of the shit storm they're about to summon upon themselves. Even with previous use of the "Eye[insert product]" name the phonetics of it alone are enough to be considered reasonably confusing in a court of law.(remember, the general public is considered very stupid in the court of law

recruit00

Sep 18, 2010
Mr.Mattress said:
Wow... That isn't a blatant rip-off of an Ipad or a WiiU Controller... Nope... (/Sarcasm)

I think there isn't a shadow of a doubt now, the PS4 Controller is coming with a touch screen of some type.
Seriously, I mean, how can we take Sony seriously if everything they end up making it now has been done by Nintendo first. The Move, this controller. Stop making it so easy for us Sony.

KeyMaster45 said:

STOP ANTAGONIZING THE APPLE PATENT LAWYERS!! STOP IT! STOP IT RIGHT NOW!!

*clears throat*

I really hope they're aware of the shit storm they're about to summon upon themselves. Even with previous use of the "Eye[insert product]" name the phonetics of it alone are enough to be considered reasonably confusing in a court of law.(remember, the general public is considered very stupid in the court of law
Apple sued Samsung for pinch to zoom. They are patent whores in every meaning of the word. This time, they would have at least a reason.

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
Yeah that looks comfortable to hold. /sarc

Anyway, as gimmicky as it sounds that 3D rendering concept actually sounds pretty cool to me. I honestly can't think of many uses for it, but it's cool nonetheless.
And what a troll of a name. Surely there are better words than 'pad' that could describe this... er, tile? The EyeTile - it has a nice ring to it.

TheProfessor234

Aug 20, 2010
When I read about this before, it felt more like a universal remote than anything else.

I think Sony wants to give their customers and fans the option of a tablet, because they're so popular right now. I highly doubt they'll shoehorn it into games.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Please don't let this be the announcement on the 20th. Stop making stupid gimmicy hardware and just focus on good games and a more powerful system.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
It looks like a more expensive and less good PSP, chock full of state-of-the-art useless gimmicky technology. They should have thrown in a GPS function, FM radio and microwave on that thing. At least the microwave would be useful for making mid-game snacks, the GPS would let you know if you've been kidnapped and the FM radio would keep away the Amish.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Evil Smurf said:
Yep, Apple probably have all their lawyer guns pointed at sony as we speak. I hope it goes better for them then the eye toy.
VanQQisH said:
Oh boy, time to throw Apple and Sony into the ring and watch their hordes of lawyers wrestle it out for the title of World Champion Patent Trolls. Funny thing is, Sony might have a case because unless I'm mistaken, the "EyeToy" came around long before the "iAnything."
Haha, these are my same thoughts the second I saw what they called it. I mean, that is blatantly trying to rip off the identity of the Apple counterpart.

On that note: I love how everyone talks shit about Nintendo in regards to this (company wise, individual opinions not withstanding) and then they just steal their ideas. At least with Kinnect, MS took it to the next level, albeit with the shittiest version of motion controls one can imagine. Now everyone is talking about tablet controllers. I think, as gamers, we just want good games. We don't need two screen or the ability flail around to accomplish something.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
And...they're sued.

Seriously though, this is a terrible idea. Sony, stop trying to appropriate ideas from Nintendo. No one in your audience wants these things, they're a waste of time and money. The Move was stupid and this is even more stupid.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
rhizhim said:
everybody says apple will sue them, but what about NINTENDO; PEOPLE!

that thing is a rip off of the wii u controller.

how the hell does not anybody see that?
Ummm... plenty of people are?
Mr.Mattress said:
Baresark said:
I love how everyone talks shit about Nintendo in regards to this (company wise, individual opinions not withstanding) and then they just steal their ideas.
doggie015 said:
The camera system would make converting physical models to digital easy... but that's about all that I can think of that isn't a straight copy of the WiiU's controller.
Dirty Hipsters said:
Sony, stop trying to appropriate ideas from Nintendo.