Aliens: Colonial Marines Tops UK Sales Charts

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Aliens: Colonial Marines Tops UK Sales Charts

At least for its first week, A:CM appears to be critic-proof.

Now that the entire internet has had a chance to give Aliens: Colonial Marines a liked the game very much [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10187-Aliens-Colonial-Marines-Review-Game-Over-Man?utm_source=reviews&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all], people still bought it in droves - enough, in fact, to let it debut at the #1 spot in the UK videogame sales chart. I'm no analyst, but expect this number to go down pretty considerably next week.

The Association for UK Interactive Entertainment (UKIE) keeps track of software sales on a week-to-week basis, and reports that A:CM outsold its competitors across all platforms last week. The ill-fated xenomorph bughunt relegated Dead Space 3, whose sales dropped by 57%, to the second spot. The game's exact numbers and earnings haven't come in yet, but it has two target numbers to beat: 2010's Alien vs. Predator, which earned £14 million, and 1996's Alien Trilogy, which clocked in at £10 million. At present, these two games represent the highest-grossing Alien videogame installments in the UK.

Given the game's massive hype, Get 'em in while you still can. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6832-A-LIE-ns-Colonial-Marines]

Source: UKIE [http://ukie.info/content/ukie-week-7-2013-uk-video-games-charts]

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Game over man, game over.

People really should have listened to the critics on this one, the game is super generic, its really only redeeming thing is the multiplayer, and even then.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Well, it's only natural that anything with the Alien name on it will sell well. Regardless of the amount of bashing from critics, it's an unfortunate reality that only a portion of the games community actually involves themselves with such things as online message boards and critics.

There's also the staggering number of people content with a bland, mediocre shooter as long as they get their fix of things to shoot at. I know several people that rave about how happy they are with this game because they thought it wouldn't be very CoD-like.

It's a sad thing to hear that people prefer an Alien game that feels more like a bad CoD game than a good Alien game. I'm glad that I waited to play this game at a friend's place because if I had spent my money on it, I'd have been pretty damn mad.

Dec 14, 2009
My countrymen don't pay attention to the news surrounding the game it seems...

Cry for me Escapist.

For I have no more tears to shed.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
To be honest, what else is there to buy right now? Dead Space 3 came out a week and a half ago, so what else is there to take the charts that wasn't out for Christmas?

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
NOOOOOOO IT IS A TRAP!! Damn it there go the Brits people. Well with any luck the Aussies paid attention or we are just going to lose them too.......

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
In all seriousness, given how far the actual game is from the various trailers in terms of quality, how long before Sega or Gearbox gets hit with a class action lawsuit? Moreover, how long before Sega comes after Gearbox for all it's money that Gearbox spent not developing a game?

That'll make the lawyers happy at least, I've always admired lawyers... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
In all seriousness, given how far the actual game is from the various trailers in terms of quality, how long before Sega or Gearbox gets hit with a class action lawsuit? Moreover, how long before Sega comes after Gearbox for all it's money that Gearbox spent not developing a game?

That'll make the lawyers happy at least, I've always admired lawyers... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
It's already been suggested by so called Sega employees speaking on condition of annonymity on /r/video that Sega WILL be litigating

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
fix-the-spade said:

That'd hit gearbox right in the wallet methinks. I know that Sega have put out some shit but from what Iv'e heard ACM is just unacceptable, not to mention I'm sure that demo has to constitute false advertising.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Honestly, I'm kinda glad. Hopefully this means a sequel. A sequel not worked on by several different companies for a mind bogglingly long time, all of which spent in the lowest circle of development hell.

Come on gearbox. We know you can make good games. If you get the chance, do it better next time, you had some good ideas, and now you have a cubic shit-ton of criticism to work with.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Doclector said:
Honestly, I'm kinda glad. Hopefully this means a sequel.
Six years, over budget and unlikely to break even, there's not going to be a sequel

Captcha: Case Closed. How can it know what we're talking about man, it's just a computer!

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
Doclector said:
Honestly, I'm kinda glad. Hopefully this means a sequel.
Six years, over budget and unlikely to break even, there's not going to be a sequel

Captcha: Case Closed. How can it know what we're talking about man, it's just a computer!
Yeah, you're right. Honestly, I didn't hate the game but damn, it should have been so much better.

Oh well. I may just have to go back to my DS and play infestation like a sad, sad, Hudson.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Ok, how good were DNF's sales on release again? I have a theory going that people just jump on big names... Shocking I know.

Seriously though, Gearbox are looking like a worse version of Peter Molyneux with DNF and Aliens... Oh don't worry, we'll save these games from Development Hell and they'll be awesome! Seriously! No THIS time for sure!

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Dammit pre-orders, you did this to us!

I would like to formally apologise for my people and like to remind you all that we made Banjo Kazooie and Little Big Planet.

God save the Queen!

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
When I read the headline this is what i heard.

With every word I could feel nothing but sadness and despair. The videogame industry. Has won. They emerged victorious not only releasing a giant piece of crap they managed to promote it with doctored and falsified advertisement and get away with it.

A game that is canon and is not just a bad game but ruins the franchise. Tops the British charts. This is why consumer laws exist. Don't expect even 1/5th of those sales to still be around after a few months of badgering.