Rock Band DLC Releases Ending in April

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rock Band DLC Releases Ending in April

After more than five years of weekly updates, Harmonix is bringing an end to Rock Band DLC releases.

It's hard to believe that it's been more than half a decade since Harmonix unleashed Rock Band [http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Band-XBox-360/dp/B000TT2D0M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361215628&sr=8-1&keywords=Rock+Band] on the world, and even more amazing that in the years since, the studio has released more than 4000 songs in support of the game. But Harmonix is moving on to other projects and thus, like all good things, that famously rock-solid DLC schedule is coming to an end.

Rock Band DLC releases will come to an end on April 2 but new content will be put out between now and then, including the remaining tracks from Rock Band Blitz, Pro guitar upgrades and even some artists who haven't yet appeared in the game. And while no new DLC is planned, the Rock Central servers, leaderboards and Music Store will continue to run "for the foreseeable future," as will the Rock Band website and forums. The studio also said it still has the ability to release new content in the future, "should the right band and the right opportunity arise"

"We're incredibly proud of the DLC milestones we've set, especially producing the largest music library of any game available, and we wouldn't have been able to release as much outstanding content without the support of our amazing community," it wrote. "We hope that you'll all agree that this has been a tremendous run, and you should know it's a ride that we at Harmonix have been thrilled to be a part of."

Harmonix also said that as a thank-you to fans, it will continue the current half-price sale on more than 1100 songs in the Rock Band DLC library indefinitely.

Source: Rock Band [http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233673]

Mar 9, 2012
Andy Chalk said:
The studio also said it still has the ability to release new content in the future, "should the right band and the right opportunity arise"
Well, at least that means that the possibility of some future Pink Floyd or XTC DLC isn't completely off the table.

I know that the chances of it actually happening are still very slim though.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
All I really wanted was Rock Band: Japan...oh well, maybe in a couple of years if the franchise gets a reboot it'll go in that direction, like Dance-Dance Revolution in reverse.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
I used to play Rock Band a lot and have a ton of DLC, and even if I don't play it anymore, seeing the weekly updates end is a little shocking.

Whatever Harmonix is working on now will probably be good, pretty much everything else has.

Chatboy 91

Feb 25, 2011
Thank you Harmonix, for supporting such an awesome series of games for so many years.

I don't even want to know how much I've spent over the years on DLC, let alone how much I've spent on instruments. Worth every penny though, it's still tons of fun.

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
Rock Band has been one of my favorite series to date, and I've spent a bit too much money on DLC. But still, it's a bit sad to see the end of an era, but exciting to see the beginning of a new one.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
I would love to see The Electric Light Orchestra be part of the DLC before it all goes away, but if it has to stop, then I am happy I bought what I bought when I could.

Thank you, Harmonix.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
The Hungry Samurai said:
This depresses me. Now I feel bad for cutting back on buying RB DLC shortly after RB3 came out.
That's what happened to me. I was blown away by the Ion Drum Rocker, Pro guitar, and keyboard, bought a couple songs to accommodate those and then it totally stopped. Maybe the magic was in the instruments being fake? I still play the pro drums from time to time but I have so many damn songs that I couldn't imagine spending money on more of them. It's sad to see the music game train coming to a stop like this.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
I'll admit I never bought a great deal of Rock Band DLC, when the odd song interested me I'd splurge but otherwise I wasn't a habitual buyer.

It is still sad to see this come to an end, I've been following Harmonix and their exploits with the rhythm genre since the very first Guitar Hero and hearing this news makes me feel like it's all coming to an end soon.

Andy Chalk said:
Harmonix also said that as a thank-you to fans, it will continue the current half-price sale on more than 1100 songs in the Rock Band DLC library indefinitely.
Harmonix are cool people who have had my respect from start to finish, nice to see it wasn't misplaced. Graceful finish, guys.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
I'm amazed they were able to keep DLC going this long since rhythm games haven't been popular for a few years now and I thought no one was still buying DLC for the games.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Falterfire said:
Wait, Rock Band is still alive? Who still buys content for it?
Yo.

Blachman201 said:
I know that the chances of it actually happening are still very slim though.
Especially since Harmonix appears to be moving on to other things, now. Pink Floyd was unlikely unless it got some major The Beatles: Rock Band treatment.

paintedbrain

Jun 22, 2012
Dam, they never even realised Rockband Network in New Zealand for the Xbox 360. This is a shame. Interest in this game seemed to disappear as fast as it came. Out of all the people I played with I am the only one who still has it.

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
Well that sucks.

I have to give Rock Band props for having music I actually wanted to play; Watain, Arsis,The Faceless, Exodus, Behemoth, The Black Dahlia Murder, Children of Bodom, Bornholm, Dimmu Borgir...they're few and far between, but at least there was some legitimate metal I could get into.

As opposed to Guitar Hero, where if it wasn't well established or on the radio, it didn't exist.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Wow, this reminds me that it's been years since I've played RB. Maybe I should finally buy the damn game, it was loads of fun back in college.

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Rock Band DLC releases will come to an end on April 2 but new content will be put out between now and then, including the remaining tracks from Rock Band Blitz, Pro guitar upgrades and even some artists who haven't yet appeared in the game.

If they give me some Dissection and Venom, I'd be soooooo happy.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
The rhythm game phenomenon always makes me a little bit sad to think about. They were games that were tons of fun to play, a great party game, and introduced a lot of people to many new songs and artists they wouldnt have otherwise heard about. But it was so popular, and was being milked so much, that it seemed like in the blink of an eye, the whole genre just died.

I'm impressed Harmonix kept supporting RB though after all this time.