Rayman Legends Challenge Mode Debuts on Wii U in April

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Rayman Legends Challenge Mode Debuts on Wii U in April

Ubisoft will release some Wii U content early in order to mollify angry fans.

I'm going to assume that no one else has ever seen the quirky 2005 indie romantic comedy going multiplatform [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401244/], Ubisoft has decided to give Wii U owners the game's Challenge Mode, free of charge, in April.

"It definitely hurt us to see you guys so upset about the delay," says Michael Micholic, senior game manager on Rayman Legends. "We know you guys just want to play the game as soon as possible ... What we're going to do is release the full online Challenge Mode of the game exclusively to the Wii U fans." Micholic explains that this is the first time a Rayman game has ever had online features, and proceeds to detail the mode's specifics. The devs will add both daily and weekly challenges in one of five modes: a timed descent in The Deadly Pit, a screen-scrolling chase in The Land of the Dead, a fast-paced ascent in The Infernal Tower, combat training in The Dojo, and The Dungeon, a Wii U-exclusive combination of puzzles and platforming. Each challenge will have international leaderboards, and Micholic warns that the devs will be online to compete against everyday players.

"We had some time to add content in the game," adds creative director (and Rayman creator) Michael Ancel. "We want to add new characters, bosses, even universe." When Rayman Legends ships later this year, it will definitely include some content that would not have existed beforehand. Early access to the Challenge Mode should help assuage some delay-related disappointment. Even if this solution isn't perfect, it seems fair, and an olive branch is always a good thing.

Source: Rayman Legends Official Facebook Page [https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151460128936211]

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Personally I'm not really angry with Ubisoft at this point. I am actually amused at how they repeat the same mistake they did with Rayman Legends. Release it at the same time as major title from a popular series. On top of that they manage to piss off their fans and by delaying it at this point they also pushed it back to a point where it will have to compete with several titles on he Wii U too.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I honestly think that the game should've stayed as a Wii U exclusive because that's what the Wii U needs more of. But Ubisoft really dropped the ball I think when it comes to this.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
Well, it's good to know that they're not just leaving the game untouched until September. If this is the best they will do for WiiU players, I'll take it.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Yopaz said:
Personally I'm not really angry with Ubisoft at this point. I am actually amused at how they repeat the same mistake they did with Rayman Legends. Release it at the same time as major title from a popular series. On top of that they manage to piss off their fans and by delaying it at this point they also pushed it back to a point where it will have to compete with several titles on he Wii U too.
Unlike you, I am miffed at the same fact. Ubisoft learned one thing and not the other. They went multiplatform which is when Rayman Origins took off (PC sales went a looooooong way) but they insist on releasing the game alongside juggernauts, making the audience yet again unaware of the existance of these wonderful games. On the one side, I applaud Ubisoft for having such confidence in the game (because it's just that good) to play with the big boys, but on the other hand it's also naïve to think the lackluster sale of last time won't repeat itself. Two troubled launches will not bode well for the franchise, and the sad thing will be that it has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the game or some developer error, but entirely to mismanagement of lauch dates.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Okay... So your making the WiiU Version even more better then the PS3/360 Version, when you already said the WiiU version will be the best version, by adding an online feature only the WiiU players can get... I still have to ask, why bother making a PS3/360 Version if they are gonna suck compared to the WiiU version?! I really have to ask!