Higgs Boson Points to End of Whole Universe

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Higgs Boson Points to End of Whole Universe

Billions of years from now, vaccuum instability could see a new universe wiping ours away.

The Higgs boson [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113552-Large-Hadron-Collider-Theres-an-App-for-That] particle than anything before it. Naturally, having sort-of-maybe found this grand missing piece of physics, a few scientists have started theorizing about what the implications of its existence might really be. Their conclusion involves a situation where, billions of years from now, another universe bubbles up in the center of ours and erases it. All of it. Yes, the entire thing. Science!

Working from the theory of vaccuum instability, Dr Josef Lykken of the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (Fermilab) says that knowing the mass of the Higgs allows for calculations that point to a cyclical universe of sorts, where all of space is replaced with new, different space once a critical point is reached.

"It turns out there's a calculation you can do in our Standard Model of particle physics, once you know the mass of the Higgs boson," explained Lykken, speaking at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). "If you use all the physics we know now, and you do this straightforward calculation - it's bad news," he continued.

"What happens is you get just a quantum fluctuation that makes a tiny bubble of the vacuum the Universe really wants to be in. And because it's a lower-energy state, this bubble will then expand, basically at the speed of light, and sweep everything before it," Lykken said.

As strange this might sound, it might actually be true. Dr Lykken thinks it is, at any rate. "I think that idea is getting more and more traction...it's much easier to explain a lot of things if what we see is a cycle. If I were to bet my own money on it, I'd bet the cyclic idea is right," he concluded.

However, it should be noted that nobody should worry about the possible implications of this theory because our planet and our sun will be long gone by the time any such event might occur. Besides which, we don't have to be all gloom and doom about it, do we? In its way, this kind of theory is a good thing; it gives us a beautiful, needle-sharp appreciation for the fleeting nature of time and the ultimate transience of all physical things. It should tell us to be the best that we can be in all things, because one day, some whippersnapper of an upstart baby universe is going to appear in ours, erase it from history, and basically start acting like it never existed.

Cheery stuff, physics.

Source: BBC News [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21499765]

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
There's also the fact that, sometime in the next few billion years, we could finally unlock doors to other planes of existence (which even Stephen Hawking now says might be possible).

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
I feel like we need to make a call to Stephen Baxter.

I'm certain his mind could come up with some beautifully intricate process for saving our far-flung descendants..

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
The theory of a cyclical universe is pretty fascinating, as long as it also doesn't involve a cycle where Reapers kill all sentient life every 50,000 years. :p

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Isn't it implied that this is all kind of random? or does our universes current energy state disallow it? Or can some higher energy or bigger universe just decide to plop into our universe at any given moment?

Either way neat stuff, i had spent a good time pondering similar mechanics for a cyclic universe, using gravity and the exapansion of the universe and quantum particles or parallel dimensions causing a "big bang" and clearing out the remnants of our scattered mostly dead universe.

then a few years ago string theory brought more unstable dimensions idea into it all, wobbling dimensions occasionally touching and blasting their respective dimensions completely to hell.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Well, it's better than the heat death of the universe, where cold blackness is all that would exist, with the odd atom per square mile or something.

TheProfessor234

Aug 20, 2010
Sylocat said:
There's also the fact that, sometime in the next few billion years, we could finally unlock doors to other planes of existence (which even Stephen Hawking now says might be possible).
One thing I always thought that was cool, at least conceptually, is if you took the technology we have today back one million years, it would still work. Everything is possible right now, we just don't know how yet.

Another thing I wanted to add, the only thing I could really understand, the universe itself has a cycle. It makes sense though, everything in nature has a cycle of some sort. It all just runs its course, round and round.

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
"All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again"

Says the time prophet looking into the future-past.

Fudj

May 1, 2008
Quick panic buy stuff! we only have several billion years to stock up......although maybe this has happened several times before?

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
rhizhim said:
well, thats shit.

might as well stop searching for a second earth..
Well given *BILLIONS* of years, and provided the development of technology continues to accelerate, is it tends to do, and provided humanity isn't extinct-ified by some outside source...

So if our technology exponentially develops for even a single billion years, I'd estimate us at the "ascended to a higher plane of existence" level. Our technology is already developing super-fast, and a billion years is a FRIKKEN long time. Long enough, I'd say, to colonize new planets as our sun smolders to a cinder, discover some way to hop to alternate universes, or hop to the new universe, or reverse this physical effect, or whatever.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Meh let the future generations worries about that since we all be dead by then unless some of us become immortals or chose to be reincarnated.

MrPhyntch

Nov 4, 2009
cerebus23 said:
Isn't it implied that this is all kind of random? or does our universes current energy state disallow it? Or can some higher energy or bigger universe just decide to plop into our universe at any given moment?
Really, at that scale, scientists have no bloody idea. All that proven science is is anything that can be reproduced under certain circumstances. When dealing with something that is infinitessimally small and infinitessimally gigantic at the same time, we really have no data, and actually have evidence to support that the laws of physics sorta break down at that point. Science has reasonable proof that at the creation of our universe there were as many as 14 different dimensions that broke down and stabilized into the 4 we have now (length, width, height, time). If that is possible, literally anything is.

It also helps make debates between learned people of faith and atheist scholars a beautiful sight. "LAWS OF THERMODYNAMICS!" "They don't work on that scale! 14 dimensions!" "Now who looks silly like they're desperately trying to make something up!" "RAWR!" It's really glorious,and gets better with each new discovery on this scale.

Captcha: It's Super Delicious
Yes it is Captcha, yes it is.

As a side note, this interestingly give extra credence to the Hindu faith, the one that is all about how everything cycles, including the universe.