Blizzard Halves Mists of Pandaria Price for Patch 5.2

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Blizzard Halves Mists of Pandaria Price for Patch 5.2

The Thunder King is set to be the biggest content patch for World of Warcraft since Mists of Pandaria launched last September.

In preparation for the impending release of Patch 5.2: The Thunder King, Blizzard is having a sale on its official store [http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100002176], where you can pick up World Of Warcraft and its expansions on the cheap. The World Of Warcraft Battle Chest, which includes World of Warcraft along with the The Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King expansion packs, is just a paltry $5. Cataclysm will set you back $10 and Mists of Pandaria has been reduced to $20. Both the physical and digital editions of all these games are on sale. Blizzard has not indicated when the sale will end, but we can assume that it will probably coincide with the release of patch 5.2.

Patch 5.2 has many new features, but its centerpiece is the Thunder King daily quest hub and raid zone. The Isle of Thunder, the daily quest hub, features zones that will progressively be unlocked as players on individual realms contribute to the war effort, much akin to patch 4.2's Molten Front [http://www.wowpedia.org/Patch_4.2.0]. Players can earn reputation with two new factions by performing either PvP or PvE based quests. Throne of Thunder is the first new raid zone since Mists of Pandaria's release and will feature 12 standard bosses and one special heroic mode only boss.

Also included in the patch are two new world bosses, a continuation of Wrathion's legendary quest line, and improvements to the Sunsong ranch farming mini-game, one of the most well-received new features of the expansion. Players will be able to buy the ranch off Farmer Yoon, allowing them to use it as a rest point and receive work orders from other NPCs.

There's a lengthy list of changes for each of the game's 11 classes, but the Monk and the Warlock have some of the most significant additions. Monks will receive several new abilities and talents, while Warlocks will finally be able to undergo a quest to permanently change the color of their fire spells from yellow to green. That's right, green fire is finally here!

You can read the full list of patch notes here. [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/8226552/Patch_52_PTR_and_Patch_Notes_-_February_13-2_13_2013] There is currently no official release date for the patch, but estimates put it in the last week of February.

Source: Blizzard Store [http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100002176]

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I like Mists, but I started my second job around the same time. I really miss raiding.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I've always been bothered by the fact they charged for expansions. You'd think 15 bucks a month would be enough.

Kyrinn

May 10, 2011
synobal said:
I've always been bothered by the fact they charged for expansions. You'd think 15 bucks a month would be enough.
I suppose you could agrue that the expansion price covers all the work they put into creating the new content. Then again Blizzard still charges for realm transfers so who knows.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
For me it was never about the price, should the day have 48 hours i would go back for a couple of months.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I gave up WoW way back during the burning crusade. Finished a night of vaish attempts and never logged on again.

I can tell it was a long time ago because holy crap that whole article could have been in swahili and I probably would have understood more. You completely lost me after world boss :D

Moosejaw

Oct 11, 2010
Desert Punk said:
I have no idea why they charge for their expansion packs. They make money hand over fist from the rubes they have playing the game already.

Then again they know those same players will thow extra money at them to buy the new expansion as well so why not charge for it...
If you have fun and your friends have fun and you all think it's worth what you're paying for it, are you still a 'rube' for playing it?

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
Desert Punk said:
Moosejaw said:
Desert Punk said:
I have no idea why they charge for their expansion packs. They make money hand over fist from the rubes they have playing the game already.

Then again they know those same players will thow extra money at them to buy the new expansion as well so why not charge for it...
If you have fun and your friends have fun and you all think it's worth what you're paying for it, are you still a 'rube' for playing it?
Well if you and your friends are paying about 180 dollars a year, then think its a swell deal to buy a 50 dollar expansion pack on top of that...

I wouldnt say that someone who considers that to be a good deal to be discerning consumer.
Just for the record, if you're talking about the type of person that knows they'll be playing a lot of wow, they're probably buying six months of time in one go instead of one month increments. So it's actually only 60$ a year. Just for the record.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
And yet Guild Wars 2 is on sale over at Green Man Gaming. Overall, still cheaper than the WoW after a few months, no subscription, far better graphics/gameplay, and more enjoyable focus (i.e. not raiding obsessed).

Just an FYI for those that are considering WoW, try to consider something better.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Wow, half the price for something that should be free to begin with. what a deal.

Notsomuch

Apr 22, 2009
There's a lot wrong with WoW but reading the comments makes me think that Bashing the game has become the new hipster thing to do. Look, don't complain about having to pay for expansions, everyone charges for expansions, guild wars 2 is going to charge for expansions. Content costs money and you need to understand the issues so you can make a complaint that makes sense and isn't dumb so you can actually solve the right problems. For example, WoW charges a Subscriptions and has Micro-Transactions; that's developer time and resources that you have paid for by buying the game and paid for by buying a subscription that is going to something that you will now have to pay extra for.

Don't pretend WoW isn't a good game though because it is a polished MMO, it has to be for how long it's been around. Just an FYI because a lot of the criticism I've been seeing is kind of mindless and insubstantial when placed side by side with rational criticism of the game and it's business model.

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
Deathfish15 said:
And yet Guild Wars 2 is on sale over at Green Man Gaming. Overall, still cheaper than the WoW after a few months, no subscription, far better graphics/gameplay, and more enjoyable focus (i.e. not raiding obsessed).

Just an FYI for those that are considering WoW, try to consider something better.
I tried to like GW2 but I had to give it up after about a month. It just didn't provide the enjoyment that WoW does for me. The feeling of walking through the gates of a capital city for the first time and seeing all the people flying around on their dragons is definitely special whereas GW2 is just meh IMO.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
I started playing WOW again recently to see how it has changed. I have to say I have been very disappointed. It's all very linear now with more focus on grinds (and that's all this new expansion is - more grind). I am in China, but the content is the same, the players are dicks just on other servers. I shall not be renewing the account when my time runs out (we pay by time played, not by the month)

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Deathfish15 said:

Well a lot of people like the raiding aspect of WoW... A LOT of people actually. Reason my friend quit GW2 is he said there was no end game to it.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
A new daily zone and a raid, how quaint, wondering how Blizzard can earn so much money but still can't release content faster than the competition