InXile Unveils Torment: Tides of Numenera Website

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
InXile Unveils Torment: Tides of Numenera Website

The newly-launched website for the follow-up to Planescape: Torment promises a tale of great power, ancient civilizations and immortality.

The new Torment game confirmed by inXile boss Brian Fargo last month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121431-Brian-Fargo-Confirms-New-Torment] finally has a site of its very own and while there isn't yet much to see, the fact that it's there at all is pretty exciting. Deep down, I'm still a bit disappointed that it's not an actual Planescape game, but based on the brief description of the game, it certainly sounds familiar.

"Numenera's Ninth World is a fantastic vision of a world in which massive civilizations have risen and fallen - disappeared, transcended, overwhelmed, or destroyed - and left their cities, monuments, and artifacts behind. As each rose and fell, their achievements became part of the accumulated detritus of eons... but much of it did not decay. And now this assortment of ancient power is there for the taking, ever-present, underfoot. The humans of the Ninth World take and use what they can. They call these wonders (and horrors) the numenera," it says. "One of these humans discovers a way to use the numenera to grow strong, to cheat death, to skip across the face of centuries in a succession of bodies. But he discovers an unexpected side effect: You."

It's not a lot to go on but one could perhaps suggest that the death-cheating human in question might not have a name, and that your role in the affair may be to determine what exactly can change his nature. The site also has a place for fans to suggest and vote on rewards for the upcoming Kickstarter (and yes, a Kickstarter is on the way), with stuff like a soundtrack, cloth map, Numenera source book and more all on the table. There are no screens or anything, and of course a release date is just a pleasant fantasy at this point, but at least now we've got something to look at and click a bit while we wait for actual information to start flowing.

Source: Torment: Tides of Numenera

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
And let the anticipation begin. I'm also a bit disappointed that we're not getting another game set in Planescape, but I'm very glad they're not doing an actual sequel to Torment. This new setting sounds pretty damn cool - a fantasy RPG in an original setting which doesn't feature elves and dwarves is always something to be celebrated. And even if the plot sounds somewhat familiar from the first game, I'm still going to be all over this when it comes out. Besides, tackling similar themes to the first game is probably a good idea if they're billing it as a spiritual successor. "What does one life matter?" appears to be this game's driving question, which is obviously a connection to the original's "what can change the nature of a man?" Consider me excited.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
not going to lie, i only played torment last year, got a good way into it (i presume) and i can honestly say it wasn't exactly enjoyable. i liked the idea, but i though it was poorly executed (maybe if i played it sooner, i would have a different opinion but who knows?).

but like the original torment, the premise is enough to at least get me interested, and from what i have read this game definitely interest me (the bit about selling companions amused me).

i hope this game turns out good, and its nice to have a sci-fifanasy game, getting a bit tired with generic fantasy myself ha

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
Never played Torment: Planescape :( I'll have to settle with this one, and it might be the first game I'll help in the kickstarter :)

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
ramboondiea said:
not going to lie, i only played torment last year, got a good way into it (i presume) and i can honestly say it wasn't exactly enjoyable. i liked the idea, but i though it was poorly executed (maybe if i played it sooner, i would have a different opinion but who knows?).

but like the original torment, the premise is enough to at least get me interested, and from what i have read this game definitely interest me (the bit about selling companions amused me).

i hope this game turns out good, and its nice to have a sci-fifanasy game, getting a bit tired with generic fantasy myself ha
I think the idea was pretty well executed, in that they really do deal with the themes they brought up and what can change the nature of a person, but the combat wasn't fun. If you're in the section of the game after/around Curst, that's the most awful section of the game and it might be worth just running past all the enemies instead of fighting them (which you can do a fair amount of the time). The end picks up again and is a pretty rewarding ending, but the middle section if dross

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
That's nice. I suspect they'll do a good job.

Finish Wasteland 2 before you get ensconced in anything else, guys!

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Wow really? man this is great news

firest project Eternity and now this?... oh wait im not allowed to be excitied for this, acording to the big devs/publishers no one wants these game

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I just can't wait for the Kickstarter to begin so I can throw some money at this. The setting looks amazing (the pen and paper RPG looks pretty promising) and Brian Fargo being directly involved is the icing on the cake.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
I'm cautiously optimistic...any kind of hype is a negative thing for me, so I'll just observe from the sidelines. But, if it pulls through and lives up to the name, definitely something I can see myself spending time and money on.

Right now, though, not enough information to decide either way...PR being PR.

aelreth

Dec 26, 2012
They already have the pledge tiers written out on the website.

I think they could kickstart this monday if not next monday.