Naughty Dog Hopes to Avoid "Stupid Mistakes" with PS4

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Naughty Dog Hopes to Avoid "Stupid Mistakes" with PS4

One of Sony's top developers is planning its transition to future hardware.

Naughty Dog is one of the undisputed heavyweights of the PlayStation 3, having developed a trio of well-received Uncharted titles as well as the upcoming survival adventure The Last of Us. But despite this glowing track record, Naughty Dog's top men told Eurogamer that the early days of PS3 development weren't the company's proudest moments, and that's something they hope to avoid in the transition to Sony's next console.

"We had a pretty bad experience when we moved from PS2 to PS3, because we made some stupid mistakes," Naughty Dog co-president Christophe Balestra claims. "And that was totally our fault. And also we were going from PS2 to PS3, the shaders were different and things like that, and we had a lot to learn. I think we've caught up though - I think our games look pretty good, so I feel like we're fine right now."

Balestra also notes that the company is already poised to work on games for the PlayStation 3's successor. "It's true - moving on to something else after PS3 might mean more people, but we're not sure just yet. It's about the quality of the tools, and about whether you can make something smarter. My guess is that they will expand - you'll have more this, and more that - you'll always have something more. In terms of our art, we always create our assets at a higher resolution than what you see in-game. A lot of our pipelines are already ready to move to something superior to the PS3. But it's scary."

Sony is expected to reveal the PlayStation 4 tonight at the company's PlayStation 2013 event in New York City, and as one of the company's flagship developers, we likely won't have to wait long to see Naughty Dog's logo on a next-gen PlayStation title.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-15-the-naughty-dog-difference]

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
You want to avoid stupid mistakes?! DON'T SELL OFF YOUR IP's!

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
The only thing that could make me get a PS4 is a new Jak and Daxter game on there. As it stands I've come to see consoles as an evolutionary dead end. its PC for me in this 'next' generation

madigan

Oct 27, 2010
So by "avoid stupid mistakes", do they mean that they're going to start releasing their games on more than just a single platform?

slimjim1503

Mar 22, 2009
madigan said:
So by "avoid stupid mistakes", do they mean that they're going to start releasing their games on more than just a single platform?
How would they do that? They are owned by Sony and therefore don't have a choice.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I don't believe Sony have learned a goddamned thing, this entire generation has been looking at a train wreak in slow motion. They need to revert back and spend some serious money to get anywhere near back at the top.

Lawsuits and hackers, and lost IPs, diluted brand recognition and crappy handheld spin offs. The only thing they have going for them right now is the stability of the PSN, and even THAT'S debatable.

Nintendo and Microsoft seem to be running 2 similar but extremely different races as far as marketing so they don't really interfere with each other, but with Steam juggernauting behind them all I feel like Sony has lost it's niche and is struggling to find any identity again.

Their 4th generation is going to have to be a game changer to avoid a total collapse.

Naughty Dog, you're still cool bros, but I kind of want to grab you off the sinking ship.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I can sympathize with this, it must be tough to create with a new architecture while also learning the ins and outs of it. I wasn't in love with Uncharted 1, but it did look gorgeous at the time, stupid mistakes be damned. I can't wait to see what they've done with The Last of Us, damn talented group of people behind it.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
"And that was totally our fault. And also we were going from PS2 to PS3, the shaders were different and things like that, and we had a lot to learn. I think we've caught up though - I think our games look pretty good, so I feel like we're fine right now."

I can't help but think maybe you should focus less on ultra-realistic graphics and more on making a well-developed game.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
If the PS4 is a pc-type architecture, as rumored, then Naughty Dog should have no problems. If they can make Uncharted 3 look that good on the PS3 they should be able to hit the ground running on something everyone (mostly) already knows how to handle.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
The only mistake I'm aware of them making on the PS3 was not continuing with Jak and Daxter. Or would it be Mar and Daxter with the way Jak 3 ended? They certainly teased that would become the continuing series.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Uncharted was a rough start? That's an impressive kind of mistake

Charli said:
I don't believe Sony have learned a goddamned thing, this entire generation has been looking at a train wreak in slow motion. They need to revert back and spend some serious money to get anywhere near back at the top.

Lawsuits and hackers, and lost IPs, diluted brand recognition and crappy handheld spin offs. The only thing they have going for them right now is the stability of the PSN, and even THAT'S debatable.

Nintendo and Microsoft seem to be running 2 similar but extremely different races as far as marketing so they don't really interfere with each other, but with Steam juggernauting behind them all I feel like Sony has lost it's niche and is struggling to find any identity again.

Their 4th generation is going to have to be a game changer to avoid a total collapse.

Naughty Dog, you're still cool bros, but I kind of want to grab you off the sinking ship.
I mean I guess we'll see when the PS4 comes out, but considering the 360 has been selling consoles for a whole 14% longer than the PS3 and yet the PS3 outsold it, there wasn't much evidence this generation for Sony being a sinking ship.

Destal

Jul 8, 2009
Charli said:

You realize that the PS3 has sold more than the Xbox360, right?

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/ps3-surpasses-xbox-360-in-console-sales-20130110/

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm amazed at how many people here don't want developers to move on, and instead remain stuck to their old franchises forever.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Don't be. It's one of the many less-than-desirable traits we gamers share. Another is getting annoyed when developers stay stuck to old franchises and seemingly never move on.

Confused? Don't be.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
I'm amazed at how many people here don't want developers to move on, and instead remain stuck to their old franchises forever.
And then moan about sequels in the next breath... LOL.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
In terms of our art, we always create our assets at a higher resolution than what you see in-game. A lot of our pipelines are already ready to move to something superior to the PS3. But it's scary."
Every developer should do this. It's easier to go back and fix things as well as port them to other platforms... not that naughty Dog would be doing that. But meh. He says it like it's not common sense.