Sony Unveils the DualShock 4 Controller

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony Unveils the DualShock 4 Controller

Sony has taken the wraps off the Dual Shock 4 controller and it's not too far off what we expected.

As expected, Sony's PlayStation 4 console will drop an overhauled controller into the hands of gamers that's pretty close to the rumors. The DualShock 4 will have a tighter feel that previous models, feature enhanced rumble and offer a touchpad for new input options.

In keeping with Sony's new focus on "socially enriched content," the controller will also have a "share button" as well as a headphone jack to facilitate communication between players. Perhaps even more interesting, it will also come packed with a light bar and camera system that will allow it to sense depth and position, presumably allowing for future motion control options.

More details will follow as they become available.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
The headphone jack and share buttons sound awesome, but the grip seems way too big, the light bar and camera could be gimmicky, and well... that thing looks AWFUL.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
share button? Headphone jack? Touchpad? Sony listen to this better idea. Get rid of that crap and you can sell it for cheaper (or failing that a larger profit margin).

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
A touchpad? Really? Have you even been paying attention to your competition? No one likes the wii-u controller, and no one is going to like this. It's a controller. GIve it analog sticks, give it buttons, and LEAVE IT ALONE.

...don't even need a PS4 yet any-fucking-way...

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
ShadowKatt said:
A touchpad? Really?
A touchpad is a second-rate mouse, but a thumbstick is a third-rate mouse, so I could see that as being really good for RTS and maybe even FPS.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
"OH BOY! A SHARE BUTTON ON MY GAME CONTROLLER!" - Nobody, ever.

Actually, what does a 'share' button do? If it autouploads things to facebook (Or worse, a Sony social network just for the PS4) I think we can safely say it will be worse than useless. I say worse than useless because it will basically just generate massive piles of spam.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
They should of just made the PS3 controller bigger, more akin to the original dual shock controller so it causes less hand cramps for those of us with big hands and left it the hell alone.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Pyrian said:
ShadowKatt said:
A touchpad? Really?
A touchpad is a second-rate mouse, but a thumbstick is a third-rate mouse, so I could see that as being really good for RTS and maybe even FPS.
Have you ever played a FPS with a touchpad?

I've tried. I've watched other people do it. Granted, there are some people that do AMAZING with them. Three fingers, two on the buttons and one on the pad and they can pull off things that would make your mouse weep because it hasn't even dreamed of such beautiful things, but for the vast majority, that isn't the case. And RTS' don't belong on consoles. They never have. And they never will. For references, go ask Halo Wars.

I get that they want to innovate, but there's a handy saying they should remember: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Seriously, we don't want a new controller, we want backwards compatibility. Work on that, then get back to us on controller ideas.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Although I don't mind a touch screen I just hope its not required for high reaction necessary situations like say, swapping a gun during a FPS. I just hope someone at Sony has played a game on a smartphone and realized what a bad idea that can be. I get annoyed sometimes because touch screens don't always respond or work properly.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Casual Shinji said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Did they just glue buttons on a double-ended dildo?
Gotta tap into that bi-curious soccer mom crowd, right?
JUST a double ended dildo? HA I say HA!

http://www.gaminggenerations.com/store/images/n64joystick.jpg

Lex Darko

Aug 13, 2006
What I don't get is why don't they put the touch pad on the back of the controller where a person actually has fingers free to do things like push buttons, pull triggers or maybe just maybe use a touch pad.

Another thing, after the debacle of Aliens Colonial Marines all these demos being shown ring really hollow with me right now in the sense that they aren't building any feeling of excitement or expectation for the future.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
ShadowKatt said:
Have you ever played a FPS with a touchpad?
Indeed. It's quite decent for aiming, annoyingly bad for turning around, pretty much the inverse of a thumbstick.

ShadowKatt said:
And RTS' don't belong on consoles. They never have. And they never will.
There is no fundamental reason why RTS cannot work on consoles, and a thumbpad will go a long way towards making a control scheme more feasible - which is really the only barrier in place.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Lex Darko said:
What I don't get is why don't they put the touch pad on the back of the controller where a person actually has fingers free to do things like push buttons, pull triggers or maybe just maybe use a touch pad.

Another thing, after the debacle of Aliens Colonial Marines all these demos being shown ring really hollow with me right now in the sense that they aren't building any feeling of excitement or expectation for the future.
Probably because people can't see the screen which would make things awkward.

Also *draws sword* there is only room for one Black Knight here.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Well this sounds like an abomination of a controller. It would seem Nintendo's peripheral dickery is highly infectious.

Lex Darko

Aug 13, 2006
erttheking said:
Lex Darko said:

Well the touch pad isn't a screen so there's no need to actually see it just need to touch it.

Also "war scythe drawn" I have 15+ 100% play throughs over 500+ hours DkS experience behind my scythe so I win and expect you to be changing your avatar promptly.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Lex Darko said:
erttheking said:
Lex Darko said:

Well the touch pad isn't a screen so there's no need to actually see it just need to touch it.

Also "war scythe drawn" I have 15+ 100% play throughs over 500+ hours DkS experience behind my scythe so I win and expect you to be changing your avatar promptly.
I guess.

Well...this will be a battle of great skill, patience and perse-LAGSTAB!

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Can someone please tell me the actual and practical uses of a touchpad? Yes, I can see some gimmicky bullshit like "slide your finger to open the door". But what are some actual reasons that will make the game better? I can press X to open a door, I don't want to slide shit.

A touch screen, I can at lest sort of get behind. You see something and you touch it. But a touch pad... it's just a touchy bit of plastic on your controller. There is no visual feedback.
So, real question: What the fuck would I need a touchapd for on a console? Is it going to have a mouse cursor? Cause you may as well just drive it around with a joystick, as touchpads are just kind of shit in general.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Did they just glue buttons on a double-ended dildo?
Funny, that was my first thought too: ''Look, two dildos glued together!''

But seriously, I'm not too sure I'm on board with the camera/touch pad feature. Its like they're trying to combine the Move with the dualshock when 1. The Move hasn't done that well and 2. The WiiU alreadly sort of did it with not a lot of possitive feedback.

But...I'll try to remail positive because this might be my next next-gen console. Maybe. We'll see.