Sony Touts PS4 As the Most Powerful Gaming Device Ever

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Sony Touts PS4 As the Most Powerful Gaming Device Ever

The specs shared by the PS4's chief architect sound spiffy.

You knew Sony was going to have to come out with some big guns at its highly anticipated press conference today in New York City. Within the first few minutes of the PlayStation Meeting presentation, Sony's executives called the new PlayStation 4 the most powerful gaming machine ever created. Mark Cerny - dubbed the chief system architect - took the stage next and outlined some of the capabilities of Sony's new platform like the DualShock 4 controller and the console's "supercharged PC architecture."

Cerny said every console up to this point was intended to be a game console first, but that the network possibilities have changed all that. PS4 was designed from the ground up to do as much as possible in the cloud, and Cerny spoke to developers to make that possible when building the architecture.

"Our goal was to create an architecture that would facilitate the expression of their ideas," he said. After all the buzzwords and promises, he got a bit technical, but not in a bad way. The CPU for the PS4 is a x86 chip and it's teamed up with an unnamed "highly enhanced PC GPU". There's 8 gb of "unified high speed memory" or GDDR5 RAM and the system's memory is backed by massive local storage. Cerny didn't say how big the HD would be, but given everything else we've heard, I expect it to be pretty big.

That's not all. Cerny demoed a bit of a game running the Unreal Engine 4 and boasted it could handle nearly 2 teraflops of computational power. In case you're wondering, a teraflop is defined as "one trillion floating point operations per second" or - in laymen's terms - a metric crapton of calculations.

Add all that power in with the broadcast streaming capabilities, the nifty new controller [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122264-PS4-to-Offer-Instant-Demos-Via-the-Cloud], and the integrated social play Sony talked about later in the presser, and so far it looks like the PS4 promises quite a bit.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Apart from, you know, any modern gaming PC.
I do like consoles and I've got nothing against them but pretending that your new console is "the most powerful gaming device ever" is complete bull as long as PCs exist.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Yes, but can it run Crysis?

Sorry, old joke but I couldn't resist.....

Now I just wanna see what Microsoft is capable of.

Gordon Freemonty

Aug 25, 2010

Well, that was a massive lie. I'll admit that the 8GB RAM for a console impresses me to a degree, but a console will never overtake the hardware in PCs.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
Oh wow! 8GB of unspecified fastness of RAM! How will will my PC compete with that?
Oh wait.... Bull. Announcement is hype.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Let's hope this power doesn't translate into a bull in a china shop.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Meanwhile in most gaming PCs.

Still can't complain though, if consoles are finally advancing then the whole gaming industry advances. It will be nice to see more games taking advantage of some of the things that are PC only with the current gen (DX11 games for eg)

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
They're right about it being the most powerful gaming device ever. My 16 gigs of ram are strictly for word processing.

Perspicacity

Dec 31, 2011
So lets run down the "Innovations" of this system.

Controller that is basically it's own portable system: Nintendo, 3 months ago

Remote access of your system: Cloud, 2 years ago

Less cluttered geometric UI: X Box, 10 years ago

Low power "sleep mode": Microsoft, 15 years ago

Inter device networking: Apple, 20 years ago

Cumbersome and gratuitous anti piracy software that doesn't even work: Sony, Forever ago

So in short, the only idea in this new console they can legitimately take credit for is the bad one, and its not even a new idea. Grats.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
For over half a decade they said "no one cares about superior PC graphics, you PC elitists *sneer*"

Then Sony announces: "Hey we've got super PC graphics for a console!"

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Sony Touts PS4 As the Most Powerful Console Ever
Fixed it for you.

I can see many a PC Fanatic doing one of two things.

1) "Challenge Accepted"

2) "My rig laughs at this"

At least this gives me something to aim for when I start on my own rig.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
And out come the PCletists.

Fine you guys have better specs on your computers. PS4's hardware is speculted to run something between $400-600. How many of your gaming rigs cost that little?

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
The funny thing is the x86 CPU, which is odd as hell when most moved to the x64 systems (OS's especially) for the use of more RAM as well as more programs to run simultaneously. An x64 natively uses more than 4gb of RAM, while a x86 requires use of a PAE to go beyond 4gb (because that's a defaulted cap).

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
The Hungry Samurai said:
And out come the PCletists.

Fine you guys have better specs on your computers. PS4's hardware is speculted to run something between $400-600. How many of your gaming rigs cost that little?
Mine did. You can build a decent gaming PC for around $600 bucks these days.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Cerny said every console up to this point was intended to be a game console first, but that the network possibilities have changed all that.
Welcome to the brave new world folks. Where the primary function of a game console is no longer to play games.