Sony Decides Not to Show the PS4 at the PS4 Event

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Sony Decides Not to Show the PS4 at the PS4 Event

Sony is keeping its new console under lock and key, perhaps for E3.

At tonight's PlayStation 2013 event in New York City we saw a few games, several tech demos, and plenty of developers singing the praises of Sony's new PlayStation 4 console. The only thing we didn't see was the console itself. Sony decided to show off the controller and light bar accessory for its new machine, but has kept the box itself under wraps.

There are plenty of reasons for this, of course, not least of which being that the company wants to save some big reveals for its E3 keynote, which is always a hotly-anticipated look at upcoming games and hardware. However, the decision to show off everything about the PlayStation 4 except for the hardware itself is a bit frustrating.

Looks like we'll have to wait a few more months before we lay our eyes on Sony's new darling. Unti then, let's all just dream about a future where The Last Guardian gets a release date and we all live happily ever after.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
It's probably not terribly interesting to look at and frankly I hope it's just rather sleek and fits away nicely without taking up too much frigging space like PS3 and 360 do.

Make it matte black and tidy looking and I'll be fine with it.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Oh boy. I can't wait to play E3 Bingo this year.

*reserves a spot for "Giant Enemy Crab", "$600", and "Riiiidge Racer"*

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Not sure why people seem to care about a plastic box so much...

Edit: BTW, good specs and great price, liked what I saw and would probably go with it if I was to buy a console this generation.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Let me look into my crystal ball for a moment...

It'll probably be a black rectangle.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Call me when they start announcing stuff I care about. I don't want my PlayStation to announce to everyone on Facebook whenever I put iDOLM@STER or Project Diva in my console. I prefer to keep that stuff to myself because of peoples' prejudices.

Hopefully they announce a few more games over the coming months and hopefully all this Facebook and useless social integration stuff is optional and it doesn't bug me to give it my info every time I power it up.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
VanQQisH said:
Call me when they start announcing stuff I care about. I don't want my PlayStation to announce to everyone on Facebook whenever I put iDOLM@STER or Project Diva in my console. I prefer to keep that stuff to myself because of peoples' prejudices.

Hopefully they announce a few more games over the coming months and hopefully all this Facebook and useless social integration stuff is optional and it doesn't bug me to give it my info every time I power it up.
That's why you just turn off those features. I feel like people seem forget those features will most likely be optional. I doubt they will force you to update your facebook page.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
SkarKrow said:
It's probably not terribly interesting to look at and frankly I hope it's just rather sleek and fits away nicely without taking up too much frigging space like PS3 and 360 do.

On a previous site, some think the PS4 could be digital only. If they showed the console we would see it had no place for a disc. Just by looking at the conference stuff it could be true, especially the part about streaming PS3 games....if it can do that then why not stream PS4 games as well?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
My theory is that they want to thwart all of those banner ads claiming to give consoles that aren't out yet by denying them any sort of imagery to work with.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
I really doesn't matter what the actual system looks like.

It could be a black rectangle with no defining features at all and I'd be fine.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I hope it integrates netflix and facebook without asking me so everyone can see I've been watching SpongeBob episodes at 4 in the morning.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
They dont want to reveal how the thing looks when its going to be out in summer?
oh wait, is the "holiday season" in winter for you guys? im sorry you have holydays at such poor time.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
If we don't get a price-point at E3 I'll be rather niffed...... to say the least.... I am almost positive that E3 will be the physical reveal of the box itself.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Tanakh said:
Not sure why people seem to care about a plastic box so much...

Edit: BTW, good specs and great price, liked what I saw and would probably go with it if I was to buy a console this generation.
SSShhh now it's going to be "HD Giant Enemy Crab"

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
SonOfVoorhees said:
SkarKrow said:

On a previous site, some think the PS4 could be digital only. If they showed the console we would see it had no place for a disc. Just by looking at the conference stuff it could be true, especially the part about streaming PS3 games....if it can do that then why not stream PS4 games as well?
Because a lot of internet connections in the western world, especially in the UK and US, are fairly shitty and probably won't be able to stream next generation games terribly well. I think there'll be some kind of physical disc involved witht he thing but you'll see everything being available digitally as well.

How will the PS3 streaming work? Will I have to rebuy my stuff or what? That's what I'm intersted in.

BUt overall I was interested, not super excited but interested and there wre a few games that got my attention. I don't really have space for anymore stuff though, I can't even really replace my PC because the space it lives in is a bit small for a decent case.