Almost Human Confirms Legend of Grimrock 2

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Almost Human Confirms Legend of Grimrock 2

Forget DLC or expansions - Legend of Grimrock is getting a full-on sequel.

Have I mentioned lately how much I liked Legend of Grimrock? Because I really did. So while last night's PlayStation 4 reveal was interesting, today's announcement of Legend of Grimrock 2 - or whatever it ends up being called - has me really wound up.

Almost Human co-founder Petri Hakkinen said in a new blog post that the team has been referring to its current project internally as Grimrock DLC, but nobody seemed to have a whole lot of enthusiasm for the idea. "So, today we had a massive all day meeting where we discussed the project, drew some arcane patterns on the whiteboard, analyzed the project from many different angles and most importantly listened to our hearts for the answer to the big question: What [do] we really want to accomplish with the new project?" he wrote.

It turns out that what they really want to do is a whole new game. "Creating a mere DLC or expansion to Grimrock simply would not have felt right. As today's meeting proved, we still have a lot of ideas we'd like to explore, lots and lots of new content already done (originally made for a DLC/expansion) and a big engine update in the works. Simply put, a DLC would have limited too much what we can do. With a full blown sequel we can raise Grimrock to the next level," he continued. "I'm sure you had all this figured out for a while already, but announcing a project is something we don't take lightly, so we had to be really sure that this is the thing we want to blow our hearts and souls into."

Platforms, release dates and all that good stuff are still just a distant dream, but Almost Human did toss out a couple of screens in January [http://www.grimrock.net/2013/01/17/recap-2012-hello-2013/] that, while undeniable Grimrock-y, show off some interesting new settings, one a run-down mine and the other some kind of ancient Egyptian-style motif, complete with shambling zombie. They may not actually have anything to do with the next game, but it's nice to know that Almost Human isn't sick of old-time dungeon crawling just yet.

Source: Almost Human [http://www.grimrock.net/2013/02/21/about-the-new-project/]

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
This is encouraging news. I'll take a sequel over DLC any day, but it's nice to hear that the team did some soul-searching and decided against DLC. It just gives me a tiny ray of hope to cling to.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I've had the first one for 6 months now and haven't played it yet. Hopefully I shall get around to it before the second one comes out.

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
I fucking LOVED every second of Grimrock.

Having to map out the dungeon by graph paper...I haven't done that for a game in YEARS.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
LoG was awesome but definitely felt like it could be so much more . If they could flesh out the classes, races and other RPG elements, they would have something really special on their hands.

A more substantial story wouldn't hurt either.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Please have random dungeons please have random dungeons please have random dungeons please have random dungeons please have random dungeons please have random dungeons please have random dungeons please have random dungeons please have random dungeons please have random dungeons.

No but seriously, I loved the original Grimrock, but my only gripe was too little replay value. Between a character building system that felt kinda limited (both in classes, and what you could do with them) and having to play the exact same dungeon every time... it was kind of a "play it once, then go back to Dredmor" style of game. Games like Grimrock are really meant for randomization. By all means they can have a "Story" dungeon, but after I'm done with that, give me a random dungeon to explore, and a deeper character creation system to play around with. Heck, when it's more interesting to start a new game of Skyrim, you've done something wrong.

For everything that Grimrock had over Dredmor, every play-through feeling too samey was definitely its weakest point.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
There's a pretty powerful Grimrock editor available now, and you're right, randomized dungeons shouldn't be too difficult. But I disagree about the character creation thing. Games like this are rooted in an era when character classes were simple and clearly defined - old-school D&D stuff, basically - and believe it or not I think adding too much complexity to the system would take away from the overall experience. It's possible that I'm too tainted by nostalgia but I'd rather see them keep it simple.

Better story, more dungeon complexity, greater variety of settings on the other hand, yes, absolutely. Give me a dungeon I will never forget.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Loved the original Legend of Grimrock. It was one of only two bright points in gaming for the first half of last year for me.