Irrational Announces Bioshock Infinite DLC Season Pass

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Irrational Announces Bioshock Infinite DLC Season Pass

Pre-ordering the season pass will earn gamers in-game bonuses including weapon skins and upgrades.

With Bioshock Infinite's release finally on the horizon, its creators at Irrational Games is already making preparations to expand on the game's experience after its March 26th launch. Three add-on packs are currently in development that will expand on the game with new stories, characters, abilities and weapons. To bolster the value of this DLC Irrational, likely taking cues from other DLC launches, will be offering a season pass giving players the option to buy all of the DLC in one purchase at a discount.

The season pass will be available on the PlayStation Network for £15.99/19.99 while the Xbox Live version will sell for 1600 Microsoft Points; a discount of more than 30%. The season pass can also be pre-ordered, and buying it ahead of time comes with some added bonuses. Gamers who pre-order the season pass will gain access to the Early Bird Special Pack, a collection of upgrades, weapon skins and items that players can use in the game. These join other content like the Industrial Revolution Pack, available as a bonus for consumers that pre-order Bioshock Infinite.

While these extras will certainly be nice to have, the main source of anticipation is obviously still Bioshock Infinite itself. Originally announced in August of 2010, there was a years-long stretch where little was heard about the game and its development. Since then, delays have pushed back the game's release date on several occasions, prompting some to worry that its development might be more troubled than its developers were letting on. With a final delay moving its release to the end of March, eager fans will likely be happy just to get their hands on the game and find out if their patience has paid off.

Novaova

Feb 2, 2010
Pre-order DLC sight-unseen for a game that's not even been released? How far is this going to go?

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Chalk up another "get it when it's GOTY" title. How do all these games simultaneously claim that it was GOTY anyway?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Novaova said:
Pre-order DLC sight-unseen for a game that's not even been released? How far is this going to go?
As far as people are willing to pay.

I'm glad I canceled my pre-order. I'm still gonna buy the game. But not until I see some reviews from people I trust.

Why are we calling it pre-order and pre-pay anyway? You can't order and pay for something before you order and pay for it. It makes no sense.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
The most recent Jimquisition has made me see these DLC "Season Passes" in a new light. I'm not buying into this crapshoot, especially after Bioshock 2 got a resounding "Meh" from almost everyone who played it.

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
Releasing incomplete products. Ok then, watch me sit on my wallet and not give you money.

Shit like this makes it harder and harder for me to purchase games.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I was concidering pre-ordering the special edition because of the artbook/sound track etc but it doesn't look that great... why do special editions suck so hard now? I LOVE art books but barely any games have them and all this pre-order stuff is getting grating. I was in Game today and the stuff's plastered all over the games themselves, the new 'Army of Two' game is basically 'Army of Two: The pre-ordered, special, download for a fee, pay right now even though the games not out yet edition'... I really didn't agree with peeps on the subject before but its getting to be a fucking joke, ooOOOooh a different shotgun, I DON'T CARE! I WANT MY GLORIOUSLY DETAILED ART BOOK!!!

Dat concept development! *melts*

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Oh hey look I just lost 50% of my interest in this game. Especially after they just said they cut 5 or 6 games worth of content, I mean we now have to pay for that cutting room floor scrap?

Well played PR there irrational.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
*shrug*

No Day-1/Preorder DLC is actually vital to the game; I don't have to buy it, it doesn't affect me.

Still getting Bioshock Infinite.

Of course I'd rather they not do this, but business is business.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
Novaova said:
It's actually more like pre-order DLC sight unseen for a game that's not even been released BUT whose release has been delayed several times. Yeah, the game may end up being fine (I'm still worried about the sky-hook rail system thingy) but these do not seem like people who are necessarily on top of their game and I'd certainly question how long the "season" is for their season pass. I personally am no longer doing the whole season pass thing after being very disappointed with both Saints Row 3 and its accompanying DLC but I had a further revelation. I don't actually want most of the stuff that's offered in these pre-order or season pass or specific retailer packs. Why? Because most of the stuff is overpowered equipment that only serves to make the game easier. To that I say: no thank you.

Incomer

Sep 15, 2009
Mumorpuger said:
The most recent Jimquisition has made me see these DLC "Season Passes" in a new light. I'm not buying into this crapshoot, especially after Bioshock 2 got a resounding "Meh" from almost everyone who played it.
Are are aware of the fact that Bioshock 2 was made by entirely different team then the original right? :)
Though I agree with your view on pre-orders and DLC. The only game I ever pre-ordered was Dragon Age 2 (insert random F... me right meme).

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Incomer said:
Mumorpuger said:
Are are aware of the fact that Bioshock 2 was made by entirely different team then the original right? :)
Though I agree with your view on pre-orders and DLC. The only game I ever pre-ordered was Dragon Age 2 (insert random F... me right meme).
Dragon Age 2 wasn't all that bad. It primarily had issues of being too contained compared to it's predecessor, along with having been seemingly simplified for consoles.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
Remember all that content they said they had to cut?

Well, now we get to have it :D

[sub]For a fee.[/sub]
Levine stated that cut content was cut because it was not suited for the finished game. They have barely started on the DLC levels.

_tinned_magpie_

Feb 19, 2010
Colt47 said:
Incomer said:
Mumorpuger said:
Dragon Age 2 wasn't all that bad. It primarily had issues of being too contained compared to it's predecessor, along with having been seemingly simplified for consoles.
And to be fair in terms of pre-orders, at least they also released a demo with content that was actually in the damn game, unlike the current shitstorm.

But paying in advance when we barely even know what we'll be getting? For extra skins? That's not going to happen.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
I'll do what I always do with DLC nowadays, wait until it's on a 50-75% sale on steam. I still haven't bought any DLC for Skyrim, even though I loved that game, and the wait hasn't bothered me one bit.

When Fallout:NV DLCs finally came on sale, i bought them all at right away and started a new character, so I could enjoy the whole game plus extras in one fell swoop. Good times.