Ubisoft is Already Itching for the PS5

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Ubisoft is Already Itching for the PS5

The head honcho at Ubisoft doesn't want to wait another seven years.

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot made an appearance at the PlayStation Meeting last night to show off Watch Dogs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122266-Updated-First-PS4-Games-Shown-at-PlayStation-Meeting], the upcoming title from Ubisoft Montreal. Guillemot shares the crowd's excitement for the upcoming console generation, but he would have preferred to celebrate the news of the next PlayStation sooner. He recently spoke with MCV about the console release schedule, and how he thinks it should be changing.

"No we don't want to wait seven years for the next one," Guillemot said, referring to the PlayStation 3's above-average lifespan. "The consoles have taken a long time, we've been saying it for a long time. It's really once those consoles come that we can let creative people [take] more risk, and they feel they can take more risk because new consoles can be more open."

If the PlayStation 4 is any indication, Guillemot notes, then each new console generation should provide a boost in creativity as developers are given new tools to build games with. "They have so many features that [developers] can play with. It's easier to be a creative person with new consoles, because after four years of people using all the capacity, it's harder to be innovative. With PS4, we will see new ideas and new ways to approach gamers. And that will excite consumers and excite creators."

New technology does mean that developers will need time to learn the intricacies of fresh platforms. One of the PS3's early problems was its unique hardware setup, which made it difficult to develop on. Guillemot doubts that Ubisoft will have the same problem with the PS4, thanks to its familiar PC architecture. "PS4 is a great machine, we'll be able to make things look fantastic," he assures. "Because the teams are working hard on their projects, I think we will see good things from the start. Sure, in two years engineers will figure out how to do a lot more. But these machines are easier to build on than before, so we should be able to reach their potential quicker."

The new features of the PlayStation 4 do seem a lot more developer-friendly than Sony's previous consoles have been. On the other hand, working within the constraints of fixed hardware is a huge motivator for developers to create great software. The difference in quality between any console's launch titles and those that are released at the end of its life cycle proves how much the machine can be stretched, given enough time to understand it. Guillemot admits that the PS4 will keep his teams busy for a while, but from the sound of it, Ubisoft will be getting anxious for next-next-gen consoles in a few years.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ubisoft-don-t-wait-7-years-to-launch-ps5/0111253]

Atary77

Feb 27, 2008
Hey Ubisoft, finish the first Popsicle before you reach into the freezer for another one!

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
What. Er, Ubisoft; you guys realize that this takes money to make? Don't bite off more than you can chew guys. Have fun ensuring compatibility between games like this then. Oh wait, there isn't any backwards compatibility between console games.

Upbeat Zombie

Jun 29, 2010
While I agree that when consoles get older they can hold back the scope of games people want to make. I don't necessarily agree that Scope = Creativity. There are many cases were game developers creativity is shown. Because of the fact they had to think of interesting solutions/ideas because they were limited in some way.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Hey, Ubisoft, there's this thing called a gaming PC and the high-end benchmarks are always increasing for it. It's pretty cool! You might want to check it out!

WickedFire

Apr 25, 2011
Interesting that he mention that a new console cycle improves creativity, yet he misses the point that new consoles cost more to develop for. Costs which stifle creativity. Because a higher cost means greater risk, publishers are more likely to play it safe, which results in truly creative games often being passed over for whatever seems popular at the time.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
Sure, this all sounds great on paper. Are you going to pay for all these ever changing consoles for us so we can play your increasingly innovative games? No? Oh ok then I'll check my Fable 3-esque Hill'o'Money Room. Oh wait I don't have one.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
See here's the thing. At the conference the second guy or so (the architect/engineer with the weird eyes) said they were talking to developers about it from like 2008. So we're looking at 4-5 years. Assuming that they started designing a few years ago and they'll probably aim for a $400 price point, you're looking at computer tech that's like mid to lower mid range right now. Seeing it from their perspective they probably just don't want to be limited developing for weaker machines.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
If they want more potential to make games and stuff why not just make for PC. I mean, I love console gaming, but this just seems like it would do more harm than good and undermine whatever buzz the PS4 will do for itself.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
We need a *truly* open console now. Not some android bullshit. Not some fancy "yeh, it's open but it's not" thing, a truly open console. Wait, what do you say? That already exists? And it's called "PC"? Well, there goes my billion dollar idea.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Making things look fantastic does not equal creative in my book. "Ooooh, look. You can see the bead drip down random soldier guy 56's forehead as he running through yet another war-torn, brown landscape." I'm for developers trying new things (and I do like my 'safe' stuff too), but big name developers don't seem to be the ones doing it. As soon as I saw this guy mention how things will look instead of how they'll play or how they'll will work, I couldn't help but sigh. I think he may have missed the point of creativity.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I don't personally subscribe to the "Bigger/better/shinier" tools makes for better creativity.
At least not as a rule.

Having a limited palate really brings out the creativeness in a person usually.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
Does not matter at all Mr. Guillmont, as Ubisoft is such a poorly-run company, I doubt it will last another five years before going the way of THQ. Not including the last holiday quarter, Ubisoft is in the red $90 million euros (like 150 million USD) over the last 3 and 1/2 years. Strong sales of Far Cry and Assassins Creed will help offset this, but then what? Ubi has pulled the trigger on its two biggest franchises, and Watch Dogs and Rayman cannot offset their massive operating budgets and administrative expenses.

Even if we assume that they will catch up thanks to a good game (AC3) and an accidentally good game (FC3), and start this year at even for the 4-year running total, they will bleed money because they spend about twice as much as they should on advertising and development, and Uplay -so far- is a major drain on their admin costs.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
We hope the power of the PS5 will finally allow David Cage to make a good game and not complain that he would have this time but he's lacking enough CPU cycles to generate emotion subroutines in the Script-Bot 2000.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Reading between the lines...

I think creativity has very little to do with wanting the PS4, rather it's more like:

"Oh God! Please please PLEASE give us a better console! We can't deal with these PC customers any more! We tried to shuffle them onto consoles with our ridiculous always-online DRM! When that failed we tried doing shoddy ports! We can't make our projected dividends doing this shit anymore! PLEASE. SONY. BAIL US OUT OF THIS!"

Edit: Wait...Playstation 5?!

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
He seems to forget that customers can't always afford consoles when they come out AS-IS, let alone with a tighter release cycle.

Apr 28, 2008
Ubisoft, you do know that you don't need to wait for a new hardware cycle to be creative and innovative, right? If so, then why aren't you paying more attention to the PC, which gets new hardware all the time?

And if you really do rely on new consoles for innovation in games, then you're screwed. You don't need new hardware to innovate.

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
Yeah, no thanks to all you PC enthusiasts. I don't feel like going back to PC gaming in the same way that I don't feel like going back to the bowling alley to be punched in the stomach every night.

I've never had more aggravation when trying to play a game than when I was primarily playing on PC.

When someone builds an operating system + hardware that just works when you put a game in it - with no need to fiddle around getting new drivers, replacing shoddy parts, etc. Then maybe PC gaming will come back as a major platform. Till then, I'll play my no-hassle Playstation and Xbox.