BioWare Talks Next-Gen Graphics and Art

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
BioWare Talks Next-Gen Graphics and Art

Next-gen graphics "will be a big leap, but it won't be as obvious," says BioWare.

After making some of the most iconic sci-fi and fantasy games on the market, BioWare knows a thing or two about strong art design, and how to leverage graphics engines to serve it. With the next generation of consoles already underway, the Canadian developer will have another chance to experiment with more powerful visuals. According to BioWare, the next-gen graphics jump won't be as noticeable as the previous generation's, but it also won't drive development costs up the same way.

Neil Thompson, director of art and animation at BioWare, has both praise and criticism for graphics from the previous console generation. "I like the fact that the medium is being pushed to the point where the player now has a genuine emotional response to the characters and the story," he says. "It's an experience, rather than 'I'm just going to play this for half-an-hour and shoot stuff.'" However, graphical fidelity is a double-edged sword, and Thompson was quick to point out how building bigger teams increased development costs drastically. "I think the main thing is that the industry doesn't get itself into a corner where it becomes economically unviable to make a game. The last technology iteration caught folks by surprise - especially the number of people you needed and the skillset jump that was required to do the work that people expected."

In terms of Thompson's own projects, he cites the upcoming Dragon Age III as a showcase for some exciting visual ideas. This time around, BioWare is using the Frostbite 2 engine, which debuted in Battlefield 3. "Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II were both done using BioWare's own Eclipse engine, and it was starting to creak a little bit when Dragon Age II came out," he explains. Specifically, Thompson has been very impressed by the game's environments, and reminds his audience that fantasy does not have to embrace a drab color palette, Game of Thrones-style.

Finally, Thompson offers a little advice for up-and-coming game artists: "It's also really important that students critique their own work by industry standards, so if you've done a character in 3D, hold that up to what you see professionally done, and be hard on yourself, because the industry certainly will be." Screenshots for Dragon Age III should surface soon, so hopefully, students will have a strong basis for comparison.

Source: Official Xbox Magazine [http://www.oxm.co.uk/50545/features/a-new-era-biowares-art-director-talks-dragon-age-3-mass-effect-and-next-gen-visuals/?page=3]

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
inb4 this turns into a Bioware hate thread.

But yeah, we're coming to that asymptote of photorealism really quickly. At least we'll always have aesthetics to keep things looking better.

Apr 28, 2008
Uh, Mr. Thompson, we dont' get genuine emotional responses from just good graphics. Sure they do help, but if the games don't have decent writing backing up the pretty looking characters and world, then I highly doubt your game will elicit much, if any, emotional response.

Also, Bioware's art direction of late has been... less than great. Hopefully Dragon Age 3 has a lot more contrast, and isn't rammed through a color filter. And doesn't rely on teal and orange for all its contrast.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Marshall Honorof said:
"I like the fact that the medium is being pushed to the point where the player now has a genuine emotional response to the characters and the story,"
Welcome to the 90's, Neil Thompson?

Marshall Honorof said:
"Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II were both done using BioWare's own Eclipse engine, and it was starting to creak a little bit when Dragon Age II came out,"
Err... Dragon Age II looked fine in Eclipse. The issues it had stemmed from unfinished art assets and bugs.

And, of course, questionable design decisions, but that's entirely subjective.

Ernil Menegil

Aug 2, 2010
Irridium said:
Uh, Mr. Thompson, we get genuine emotional responses from good characters and writing, not from graphics. Just want to make that clear. Also, Bioware's art direction of late has been... less than great. Hopefully Dragon Age 3 has a lot more contrast, and isn't rammed through a color filter. And doesn't rely on teal and orange for all its contrast.
Hear hear!

I find it highly foolish that Bioware is held to the very same standard as the games in its past when so few, if any, of those employed by them were those who were truly responsible for the classics Bioware created.

They do not deserve rose-tinted nostalgia, these are not the same people who created the classics we all know and loved. Every single shred of criticism they get is not just worthy, but justifiable, and should be yielded out with every bit the disconnected criticism that thinkers of the genre have levelled out on them.

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
"I like the fact that the medium is being pushed to the point where the player now has a genuine emotional response to the characters and the story," he says. "It's an experience, rather than 'I'm just going to play this for half-an-hour and shoot stuff.'"

Wut? Is this guy even aware of the reputation his company has? Or had?

Gammayun

Aug 23, 2011
Marshall Honorof said:
This time around, BioWare is using the Frostbite 2 engine, which debuted in Battlefield 3.
Seriously is there a mandate by EA that the studio must use the frostbite 2 engine, and i would to point out that yes the frostbite engine is very powerful but i don't think its that amazing that every game should use it. Suppose though it just EA trying to compete with Epic and there unreal engine.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Phlakes said:
But yeah, we're coming to that asymptote of photorealism really quickly. At least we'll always have aesthetics to keep things looking better.
And there's another obstacle before we get there, the uncanny valley.

Irridium said:
Uh, Mr. Thompson, we get genuine emotional responses from good characters and writing, not from graphics. Just want to make that clear.
Indeed. It's not how shiny something is, but how wholesomely presented it is.

For example, some dude getting killed by having his head sniped...photorealistic graphics convey the blood spatter and every twitchy muscle in his body a lot better than older-generation graphics, I agree.

But, why was he shot? Who shot him? Who's going to be outraged about it? Who's going to be happy about it? What was going through his head (apart from the bullet) when he got shot? Why should I care?

Those are the questions that have to be answered if we want a genuine emotional response. And graphics simply can't answer those questions.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Wake me when they can write a story and create a world that is as good or better than Star Control 2.

What is funny is the one "action" game that I can think of that came out of BioWare MDK2 was pretty damn awesome for its time.

Fell

Apr 10, 2012
infinity_turtles said:
"I like the fact that the medium is being pushed to the point where the player now has a genuine emotional response to the characters and the story," he says. "It's an experience, rather than 'I'm just going to play this for half-an-hour and shoot stuff.'"

Wut? Is this guy even aware of the reputation his company has? Or had?
Which is also funny since they said they wanted the Call of Duty audience before DA2 came out.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Wake me when they can write a story and create a world that is as good or better than Star Control 2.

What is funny is the one "action" game that I can think of that came out of BioWare MDK2 was pretty damn awesome for its time.
Wait MDK2 was Bioware? MDK2 was awesome.

Agreed graphics aren't everything, however the next gen machines (well the PS4 anyway) will be so much more powerful than current generations in terms of AI behaviour, objects on screen (crowds) and larger areas that we will see games that are more engaging to play despite the consumers obssession with graphic fidelity. I can't wait to play a next gen Hitman game that marries Absolutions crowd AI with some large open play areas and open solutions unlike the locked off corridor game Absolution was.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
So..... DA3 will be a FPS and all the darkspawn will be brown?

I honestly would take the game more seriously if EA would stop trying to hype it. It only gives the sense that there is something they are trying to hide behind glitter and fog machines.

captcha: Check your work

Damnit captcha! How did you know i was procrastinating?

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Phlakes said:
inb4 this turns into a Bioware hate thread.
Oh, hell yes.

Marshall Honorof said:
"... rather than 'I'm just going to play this for half-an-hour and shoot stuff."
I thought this was about graphics, not Mass Effect 2. *ba-dum tish*

OP: We've had good graphics/aesthetics for years, just check out Beyond Good and Evil. I wish people would stop making excuses about technology and development costs and just start making their games look good already.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I'm pretty sure the industry has already painted itself into a corner, it's just that nobody has stopped giving them money for expensive largely superficial design decisions (as such that nobody would have noticed if they hadn't pushed too far) that lead to overcharging for small chunks of additional gameplay.