Zynga Closes Baltimore Studio

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

The once-unassailable casual gaming behemoth has also consolidated its operations in Texas and New York.

The bad news at Zynga continues with today's announcement that the company's offices in McKinney, Texas, and downtown Austin are being rolled into existing operations in Dallas and North Austin, and that its New York City offices are being integrated with its NYC mobile studio. The studio's Baltimore office, which created CityVille 2, is being closed outright.

The good news for Zynga employees is that a relatively few number of people were left without a job as a result of the closure and cuts. "Whenever we make changes like this, we have to make some tough decisions around products, teams and people," Zynga Chief Operating Officer David Ko wrote on the company blog. "We were able to relocate everyone in the Baltimore office who requested a transfer, and the overall impact of the consolidations on our team is minimal."

"These changes will further enable us to focus our resources on our most strategic opportunities. We're already working to execute on leveraging franchises to build the largest game network and be profitable on an adjusted EBITDA basis," he continued, extolling Zynga's artistic virtues. "We still have a lot of work to do, but I'm confident that we're on the right path to deliver on the potential of Zynga."

Source: Zynga [http://blog.zynga.com/]

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Artistic virtues? In order to be artistic, you must first be original David.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Zynga's losing money.

HOORAH!

Some people are out of a job.

Hahroo!

Well good on them for at least keeping most peeps employed, say what you want about their products at least their loyal to their workforce.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Another financial blow to Zynga? Not bad. A financial blow to Zynga with minimal employee collateral damage? Excellent!

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
"We still have a lot of work to do, but I'm confident that we're on the right path to deliver on the potential of Zynga."

"the right path to deliver on the potential of Zynga."

"potential of Zynga."

Sorry for the huge pic, but I think I made my point :p

CAPTCHA: on the ball
Yep, their "potential" is just rolling down the hill

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Good to see them getting ever closer to being totally shut down. Then we can all have punch and pie and move on to better things.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
At least they did so with little employee collateral damage. I hate Zynga as much as the next gamer, but I don't like seeing people lose their jobs, especially in this economy.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Can we create a Facebook game company that isn't, y'know, all Skinner Boxes and rip-offs of other struggling studios' work for these people to migrate to?

I want to be sorry that people are losing their jobs and everything, but, I mean, c'mon.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
And nothing of value was lost. Well, except for those few people without a job now but hopefully they find find work elsewhere in the industry soon. I don't really care about Zynga and most of the studios that rely on Facebook users that know no better to give them money for digital cows but it's always sad to see people out of a job.

Roander

Dec 27, 2009
Andy Chalk said:

its New York City offices are being integrated with its NYC mobile studio.
This makes me picture a guy working out of his van, who now has other people also working out of his van. I wonder if he got a promotion. "Vanmaster" might be a cool thing to have on your resume.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
Callate said:
Can we create a Facebook game company that isn't, y'know, all Skinner Boxes and rip-offs of other struggling studios' work for these people to migrate to?

I want to be sorry that people are losing their jobs and everything, but, I mean, c'mon.
This gave me an idea. Someone should start up "Zinga" and make clones of their clones and see how they like it!

Cloneception?

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4813280556484130&pid=1.7