Heavy Rain Creator Wants To See Gaming Take Risks

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Heavy Rain Creator Wants To See Gaming Take Risks

David Cage of Quantic Dream sees gaming diversity as a chicken-or-egg problem.

"What I like about cinema and literature is the great diversity," says Quantic Dream's David Cage. If you want superhero movies, he goes on to say, there are plenty of them out there, "but at the same time, if you are looking for dramas, comedy, tragedies, or very different types of films, you can also find them." But when it comes to gaming, Cage adds, "action, violent, and platforming games are 90 percent of the industry," and that's something he hopes will change.

It's a which-came-first problem, Cage admits; the chicken, or the egg? "Do people buy the same games because we just give them the same games?" he asks. "Or do you we make the same games because this is what people want?" Ultimately, Cage believes, it's up to the developers to create, not gamers to tell developers what they want. Cage is a fan of Henry Ford's principle, that "'if I had asked my customers what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse'"; Cage emphatically does not think developers can expect gamers to tell them what gamers want to play.

It's his belief that there are always markets for different kinds of content, but the inflated budgets that triple-A gaming thrives on inhibits risk-taking. "So let's make a shooter because we're pretty sure that we're going to sell some," Cage says. "We know that the market wants that." Maybe the independents will be the ones to push through and spark a gaming revolution, much as Steven Spielberg and George Lucas did for film back in the 1970s.

"All these things happened through 100 years in cinema," Cage says. "I'm impassioned to see them happening in the game space and hopefully it will take less than 100 years."

Source: Game Informer [https://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/02/25/interview-david-cage-talks-about-the-perfect-future-of-gaming.aspx?PostPageIndex=1]

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
thank you for stating the obvious, Cage. You have anything that's ACTUALLY insightful or original, or are you gonna just keep spouting ready-made phrases in your attempts to sound smarter than you really are?

LostintheWick

Sep 29, 2009
He's a little late in his opinion.

But I do agree that developers can show gamers new things that they will want.
If all we make are shooters, than OF COURSE all of the numbers are going to point to "Oh! Looks like people buy shooters! Make more!"

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
David Cage wants to see gaming take risks, gaming wants David Cage to shut up.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
"What I like about video games is the great diversity," says an idiot talking out of his ass. If you want shooters, he goes on to say, there are plenty of them out there, "but at the same time, if you are looking for puzzlers, RPGs, adventures, or very different types of games, you can also find them." But when it comes to movies, idiot adds, "romcom, baysplosion, and uninspired oscar-grabs games are 90 percent of the industry," and that's something he hopes will change.

THE EMOTIONSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Cage lost all respect when he said that higher graphical fidelity is the only way to convey emotions then shows off a concept character for the PS4 that makes the Gears of Wars grunts look like drama queens.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
It wont take less than 100 years.

Film and literature both have a pedigree that games have yet to achieve. The industry is too self-absorbed within and too feared and reviled without.

Plus its still a new form, and new forms need time to find the right people to make them work.

Plus we need the last few generations to die, so they can take thier ideals with them.

Time changes everything, primarily because people forget.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
There he goes again comparing games to movies, and for fuck sakes, we have a lot of variety, movies can just change the tone to be in a different genre

You have GTA, Mafia, Just Cause and Saints Row all in the same genre and yet they are all different.

There is variety in movies, but not that much in the actual content told in it.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
Why all the hate? I don't know much about this Cage fella, but what he says here makes some sense to me. I especially liked the Henry Ford quote. Also it's worth noting that after Henry Ford invented a car people voted for it with their wallets; innovation and free market economics aren't completely at odds with each other.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Dont worry David the interactive movie genre is really taking off, I mean look at Asuras Wrath. There, there.

But in all honesty I agree, but I dont see it happening if fiascos like the 'retake Mass Effect' are a thing.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Yeah, I don't want to have to be 101 years old before I get to play the Star Wars of games!

Although by the same logic, the Citizen Kane of games should already be around or coming very soon...