Vita Outsells Wii U in Japan

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Vita Outsells Wii U in Japan

Wii U sales in Japan dipped below 10,000 per week.

similarly struggling handheld [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjJhbnz8YX0], the Vita, in last week's roundup.

While the Vita's weekly sales - 11,456 units - will hardly set the world on fire, the Wii U fared even worse, with 9,633 consoles sold. These numbers are likely the result of a conflux of two factors: the impending Japanese Vita price drop, and the lack of new software for the Wii U. Although the Vita price drop has not officially taken place yet, some retailers may be slashing costs already, leading to renewed interest in the system. TANK! TANK! TANK! debuted at spot #13 on the Japanese sales charts: not quite enough to move any appreciable quantity of Wii Us.

This reversal is not likely to subside next week, either, since that's when the official Vita price drop will start factoring into sales. Overall, though, Nintendo doesn't have too much to worry about on the sales charts. While the PS3 sold twice as many consoles as the Wii U last week, the 3DS outsold the PS3 by a factor of 4:1.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-27-japanese-weekly-wii-u-sales-fall-below-vitas-for-the-first-time]

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
I think I know the Wii U's problem right now and it's the complete abscence of releases, I don't think a single game actually came out all months, and most that are coming aren't out until the 3rd week of march. The thing needs software and it needs it now.

Once it starts getting games it'll start shifting more units. Simple.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
It's the most expensive system without many games for it. Japan is getting the Dragon Quest MMO for the WiiU soon, so this particular problem already has a ticking counter to when it'll be solved.

I'd be more worried about here in the states. Lego City Undercover looks like fun, I plan on getting it, but it doesn't really seem like a system seller. Hell, all the system sellers are a good couple months away.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Mr. Omega said:
It's the most expensive system without many games for it. Japan is getting the Dragon Quest MMO for the WiiU soon, so this particular problem already has a ticking counter to when it'll be solved.

I'd be more worried about here in the states. Lego City Undercover looks like fun, I plan on getting it, but it doesn't really seem like a system seller. Hell, all the system sellers are a good couple months away.
Dragon Quest X is already on the Wii though so it's hardly the killer app it needs. Lego City Undercover is definately on my radar as something to pick up to bring my Wii U game collection to a stunning 4 almost 2 months after I got it.

I love my Wii U, it's a great piece of hardware and there's a lot of potential but it's really in need of those system selling games. the summer has a couple things coming out and there's a lot pencilled in for a vague autumn release this year but man the next couple of months are dead, Lego City and then.... Resident Evil Revelations port?....

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Theres a Monster Hunter game on the WiiU next month, therefore i dont expect those numbers to hold.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
SkarKrow said:
I think I know the Wii U's problem right now and it's the complete abscence of releases, I don't think a single game actually came out all months, and most that are coming aren't out until the 3rd week of march. The thing needs software and it needs it now.

Yeah, it currently has 3 exclusives if I remember correctly. It's hardly worth getting the console for even though Nintendo Land is about the most entertaining multiplayer I have played in years.

Their epic launch lineup failed miserably.

Now let it be said that I can't wait for Monster Hunter, but I don't think I should get it until this summer... way too time consuming...

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Yopaz said:
SkarKrow said:

Yeah, it currently has 3 exclusives if I remember correctly. It's hardly worth getting the console for even though Nintendo Land is about the most entertaining multiplayer I have played in years.

Now let it be said that I can't wait for Monster Hunter, but I don't think I should get it until this summer... way too time consuming...
I have Mario Bros U, ZombiU and Tekken Tag 2, so 2 exclusives and a port with some exclusive costumes and modes. Mario Bros U is utterly brilliant, it's gorgeous and brilliantly fun and probably the best new super mario bros game, reminds me of super mario world. Otherwise I got Balloon Fight and F-Zero. Nintendo Land is pretty fun but it lacks substance. Game & Wario should be good for bite sized brilliance, Lego City will be fun as hell from the looks of it but there release list is just so terribly sparse for now...

ZombiU multiplayer is amusing enough but it's only 2 players and only local... I only have one friend online anyway mind since nobody really has them yet.

The MOnster HUnter demo was ehhhh for me. I found the controls to be stupid. +/Start is not an attack button, yet the triggers were unused?....

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
SkarKrow said:
Yopaz said:
SkarKrow said:

I have Mario Bros U, ZombiU and Tekken Tag 2, so 2 exclusives and a port with some exclusive costumes and modes. Mario Bros U is utterly brilliant, it's gorgeous and brilliantly fun and probably the best new super mario bros game, reminds me of super mario world. Otherwise I got Balloon Fight and F-Zero. Nintendo Land is pretty fun but it lacks substance. Game & Wario should be good for bite sized brilliance, Lego City will be fun as hell from the looks of it but there release list is just so terribly sparse for now...

ZombiU multiplayer is amusing enough but it's only 2 players and only local... I only have one friend online anyway mind since nobody really has them yet.

The MOnster HUnter demo was ehhhh for me. I found the controls to be stupid. +/Start is not an attack button, yet the triggers were unused?....
Waaaaaait, New Super Mario Bros U is kinda like Super Mario World? Now that sounds great! I'll have to check that out.

I have yet to try the Monster Hunter demo because my network seems to be going wobbly on me so I have only tried the 3DS version (which did not support circle pad pro), but I think I am going to get a classic controller for when I am getting the Wii U version.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Once the new Monster hunter and Fire Emblem come out I can expect the sales of the 3DS and Wii U to pick up and surpass the Vita seeing as how the Vita still needs to release the rest of the 50+ more titles they promised since it's release.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Where have all the titles gone?
Long time passing
Downward sales go
Postponed to mid march every one
When will they ever learn?
Oh when will theyyyyyy ever learn?
Where have all the good games gone and where are all the devs ?
Where's the street-wise genius to fight the rising odds ?
Isn't there a white knight upon a gaming disc ?
Late at night I toss and I turn and I dream of what I need

I need a game, I'm holding out for at game 'till the end of the month
It's gotta be strong and It's gotta look great
And he's gotta be fresh from the press
I need a game, I'm holding out for a game 'till the morning light
It's gotta be great and it's gotta be soon
And it's gotta be larger than life, larger than life

Somewhere after midnight, in my wildest fantasy
Somewhere just beyond my reach
There's something reaching back for me
Racing on the thunder and rising with the heat
It's gonna take be a game to sweep me off my feet

I need a game, I'm holding out for at game 'till the end of the year

Up where the mountains meet the heavens above
Out where the lightning splits the sea
I could swear there is someone developping for me
Through the wind and the chill and the rain and the storm and the flood
I can feel it's approach, like a fire in my blood

I need a game, I'm holding out for at game 'till the end of the year

Apr 28, 2008
Remember when so many developers said how much they were looking forward to developing for the Wii U?

Good times.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Even though I plan to get myself a Vita in the nearest future, I must say this:

If Vita outsells something, then it means that this something is in deep sh#t.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Eh. To be honest, Nintendo could use a karmic backhand right about now. They essentially released the Wii 1.5, and are surprised it's not selling well in a generation that tired of this stuff years ago. Maybe once they determine that they have to earn gamers' trust again, they will start trying new things instead of toys and gimmicks.

minnull

Feb 10, 2010
I remember when the N64 came out and I got it the day of release in the states, I was so bummed out when it took SO LONG for a new game to be released (wave race, pilot wings and Mario 64 did keep me happy though). I've got that same attitude with the Wii U. I know it's not doing well in selling but all the Wii U needs is a couple of stellar games to really sell. It's frustrating to have to wait so long for great games to come out but until then, the mario game and nintendoland will have to do (I'm still very surprised at the replay value of nintendoland).

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Capitano Segnaposto said:
This. We should have had Rayman Legends by now, but...

Also Monster Hunter 3 ultimate will bring me quite a few hours of enjoyment once that finally releases.
Yeah pretty much should have had Rayman Legends in November, same with Pikmin 3.

Yopaz said:
Waaaaaait, New Super Mario Bros U is kinda like Super Mario World? Now that sounds great! I'll have to check that out.

I have yet to try the Monster Hunter demo because my network seems to be going wobbly on me so I have only tried the 3DS version (which did not support circle pad pro), but I think I am going to get a classic controller for when I am getting the Wii U version.
Yeah it's basically the same old mario bros but there's a spin jump that works like the super mario world one and the world map just feels huge and expansive and has divergance and a fair few more hidden exits than I'm used to, I'm currently hunting down all the star coins and I've cleared half of the worlds of them. It'll tke you a good 8 hours to get to the final boss and beat him, then there's star coin collecting, hidden levels and exits, challenge stages and such, etc. It's definately worth the price and feels so much more whole and satisfying than the others in the series have. It also looks frigging gorgeous.

I just didn't enjoy the MH3U demo to be honest, I gave it a shot but it just wasn't really my cup of tea.

Shadow-Phoenix said:
SMT x Fire Emblem is gonna shift a lot of units, or so the general consesus is, I know a few interested in that and it'll shift the Wii U. The 3DS is really taking off now though, libraries fleshing out and I'm gonna pick up FE:A when it comes out here in April .____. Frigging NoE......

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
SkarKrow said:
Yopaz said:

Yeah it's basically the same old mario bros but there's a spin jump that works like the super mario world one and the world map just feels huge and expansive and has divergance and a fair few more hidden exits than I'm used to, I'm currently hunting down all the star coins and I've cleared half of the worlds of them. It'll tke you a good 8 hours to get to the final boss and beat him, then there's star coin collecting, hidden levels and exits, challenge stages and such, etc. It's definately worth the price and feels so much more whole and satisfying than the others in the series have. It also looks frigging gorgeous.

I just didn't enjoy the MH3U demo to be honest, I gave it a shot but it just wasn't really my cup of tea.
I guess I've got to put that on my to do list. Also Monster Hunter isn't for everyone, while I loved Monster Hunter Tri I think it might be a niche title. It took me a while to get into it and well, it is really repetitive and you'll spend quite some time gathering materials. At least there's Pikmin to look forward to.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Yopaz said:
I guess I've got to put that on my to do list. Also Monster Hunter isn't for everyone, while I loved Monster Hunter Tri I think it might be a niche title. It took me a while to get into it and well, it is really repetitive and you'll spend quite some time gathering materials. At least there's Pikmin to look forward to.
Yeah, it seems a bit niche, I just found the controls unecessarily complex and felt it could've benefitted from a lockable camera or something, maybe if it played a touch more like Dark Souls combat-wise I'd have enjoyed it more. I didn't like it but I can see why others would.

Pikmin 3 looks fantastic and I can't wait for it and Lego City, not to mention Wind Waker and the new 3D Mario game and Zelda U whenever that comes.