258: Everybody Dies in DEFCON

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
The thing that really sets the mood is the sight of your enemy (or yourself) covered in a green shroud as more nukes strike.

In the end you congratulate yourself for manage to contain 90% of that green shroud on you enemy's turf ... but then you realise ... like the radioactive clouds of Chernobyl, all it will take is the wind to blow it across the world to poison the Earth.

I still play it occasionally on my laptop at uni ... it is great for lectures ... of course the people behind you watching you play may think you're a little morbid.

Pyrokinesis1019

Jun 3, 2010
Well, thanks to this I just bought DEFCON off of Steam. Not too many people were playing online, though. I'm gonna get tired of beating the AI soon. Maybe we should make a DEFCON Steam group...

The music and background sounds and the visuals really help with the mood. Especially the woman crying and the other people in the background.

Yozozo

In a galaxy far, far away...
Mar 28, 2009
God_of_badgers said:
A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?
No, let's play Global Thermonuclear War.

Surprised nobody else caught it ;)

Must have watched it about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Brian Name

Feb 1, 2008
Absolutely adore this game. Nicely written article. It's always a bit unnerving to see the city you're actually sitting in go up in a blaze of white on the screen. Nothing quite like it.

shadow741

Oct 28, 2009
Yozozo said:
God_of_badgers said:
A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?
No, let's play Global Thermonuclear War.

Surprised nobody else caught it ;)

Must have watched it about 2 or 3 weeks ago.
I didn't see the comment but I expected something like it to be on here, ninja'd.

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
I loves me some Defcon. But I'd note the thread title's wrong (though grimly entertaining!)...few games I've played actually resulted in the total annihalation of the human race. In fact, the reality that SOMEONE would live (and that it would probably be whoever shot first) kept the idea of a "winnable nuclear war" going for decades.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Nice article about an underappreciated game. One of my friends got me to play DEFCON with him, and I've been hooked ever since. Any pub for it is a good thing.

However, although I hate to pick nits, on the first page? The past tense of 'rid' is 'rid'. 'Ridden' is the past tense of 'ride'.