It's The Amazing Minecraft Dot Matrix Printer!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
It's The Amazing Minecraft Dot Matrix Printer!

The list of things you can do in Minecraft just got a little longer and a whole lot cooler.

Every time I think I've seen the limit of what can be done with Minecraft, some enterprising individual comes along to demonstrate that I am wrong. The latest example of "nope" comes from a Planet Minecraft user by the name of ACtennisAC, who used the game to create "something really cool" - a printer!

Printers aren't the sort of thing most people would classify as really cool, but this isn't something you'd pick up on the cheap at your local Radio Shack: This is a fully-functional printer built entirely in Minecraft that allows users to draw simple color images on a 9x6 grid and then print them out. The mechanics, according to the narrator, are based on the work of YouTube user Sethbling [http://www.youtube.com/user/SethBling/], who posted a video earlier this month explaining how to make "spawner-minecarts." ACtennisAC was able to adapt that system to his own to make it output different colored "ink" that corresponds to the image input into the chest. After that, some more stuff happens, and then some magic, and boom! Picture!

I don't play Minecraft so the technical details of all this stuff goes way over my head, but the bottom line here is that this person - this young person, based on the voice and the YouTube comments - has built a functioning color dot matrix printer within the confines of a videogame, which is both impressive and very cool. If you want to see it in action yourself, you can download the mod from Planet Minecraft, and take a look at ACtennisAC's other work while you're there - including a working Creeper machine gun [http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/creeper-working-machine-gun/] that may well be the cutest belt-fed weapon system ever made.

Source: Planet Minecraft [http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/100-working-redstone-printer/]

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
And here's me still trying to figure out how to make a 4x3 piston door without looking it up...
This kid has serious talent with redstone.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I would like to say that Minecraft is probably the biggest obstacle to human advancement in the world right now. These people should be using their talents to cure cancer, solve the world energy crisis or unlock the secrets to longer lasting erections, but instead they are making cool stuff in Minecraft.

On the other hand, it really is a pretty cool printer...

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
This kid was born in 2002, the year me and my mates left school. One of them has been studying programming on and off for the last 11 or so years and has yet to produce anything remotely as awesome.

I CAN'T wait to send him this...

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Scars Unseen said:
I would like to say that Minecraft is probably the biggest obstacle to human advancement in the world right now. These people should be using their talents to cure cancer, solve the world energy crisis or unlock the secrets to longer lasting erections, but instead they are making cool stuff in Minecraft.

On the other hand, it really is a pretty cool printer...
I argue that it is stimulating this kids creativity. When he is 21 he will be making hyper intelligent robots, that is, when he is not fucking super models on his mega yacht. Kid is awesome.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
It reminds me of the contraptions of Garrysmod, so much time waisted on something so pointless.

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
AC10 said:
This kid is really good for his age!
For his age? Most people twice his age probably couldn't figure it out how he did it. I can only give a rough guess how he could do it, and come up with my own hypothesis to make one, but that's effort, and no one likes effort. It is impressive to see what some children are capable of, and reminds me of my youth of all of five years ago, trying to prove that not all Eleven-year-olds are retarded, idiotic fools.
Though I have a feeling it only prints a single thing. That creeper face.
EDIT: NOPE. Should stop skipping over video parts. That's actually really neat.
Why can't more American kids be like him? Or american teenagers even. I woukld be so attracted to some one that could do that stuff without help.

Sep 14, 2009
that is pretty damn impressive, even if he did use someone elses idea to fuel his, good critical thinking and application of it.

once again, shit like this makes me swear off minecraft for a while, i build my shitty towers and buildings and people do this for shits and giggles on the side...

bravo at his age too, at that age i enjoyed games but actually being productive with them? (relatively here, not in reality people) fuck that.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
SadisticFire said:
AC10 said:
This kid is really good for his age!
For his age? Most people twice his age probably couldn't figure it out how he did it. I can only give a rough guess how he could do it, and come up with my own hypothesis to make one, but that's effort, and no one likes effort. It is impressive to see what some children are capable of, and reminds me of my youth of all of five years ago, trying to prove that not all Eleven-year-olds are retarded, idiotic fools.
Though I have a feeling it only prints a single thing. That creeper face.
EDIT: NOPE. Should stop skipping over video parts. That's actually really neat.
Why can't more American kids be like him? Or american teenagers even. I woukld be so attracted to some one that could do that stuff without help.
Actually, there were people like this young one back when I was coming out of High School circa 2002. It's just back then it was more about the map, skin, and mod making community on certain PC games like Unreal Tournament. Cliffy B. actually made a bunch of maps in Unreal Tournament back in the day that I remember playing on, and then there was the U4E mod and other crazy weapon shenanigans.

Man I feel old now...

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
Darn people making incredible things in minecraft, slowly breaking down my ability to put off buying it. Functioning printers, the enterprise, freaking middle earth, I'm always amazed at what people do in minecraft.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Every time there is a new cool thing that pops out of this game I find myself looking at my own creations and sighing. I am not a master builder at all. I still don?t bother with red stone...

EvilChameleon

Oct 18, 2010
I feel like that guy from those AT&T commercials with the kids.

"That's amazing. I've never seen anything like that."
"Hold on, I'm watching this."

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
I'm not sure that outlook is any more helpful. For one thing, it's a bit arrogant to tell people with talent what they should be doing with it, with the implication that they're wrong for not doing what you want them to do already. In any case, people who are encouraged to explore their hobbies tend to develop them into skills that they then put to use in ways that suit them well. Telling someone what to do with their life could very well change the course of their life from a successful and influential one that you could not have imagined because you didn't understand their interests in the first place, to a mediocre career that they're not good at and resent being pushed into.

I'm a little disturbed at the thought of kids being discouraged from pursuing their interests because people of lesser imagination and ability think they know how best to employ the skills of others. I'm sure it happens all the time. I wonder how much of an obstacle that has been to human advancement.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
This kids got some talent! He figured out through watching videos how to link two features together to create something new. But I'm kind of conflicted to be honest. I've always thought that kids below the age of 16 should NOT be allowed to create content on youtube, or at least all by their lonesome (if someone above the age collaborates with them I think its ok.) I believe this mostly because young children are FAR too impressionable and emotional to put themselves out there without supervision and the content create is generally horrible, but this video was actually pretty well put together! Sure there are still some problems (pronunciation of certain words are noticeably off) and it looks edited together in a nice, smooth manner. If this kid is a one-man show he deserves some attention.

cyber95

Feb 28, 2008
uchytjes said:
This kids got some talent! He figured out through watching videos how to link two features together to create something new. But I'm kind of conflicted to be honest. I've always thought that kids below the age of 16 should NOT be allowed to create content on youtube, or at least all by their lonesome (if someone above the age collaborates with them I think its ok.) I believe this mostly because young children are FAR too impressionable and emotional to put themselves out there without supervision and the content create is generally horrible, but this video was actually pretty well put together! Sure there are still some problems (pronunciation of certain words are noticeably off) and it looks edited together in a nice, smooth manner. If this kid is a one-man show he deserves some attention.
I've always just figured kids shouldn't be on youtube because they're really annoying. Then again, the same could be said about a lot of adult youtubers, too, so what do I know?