Mexican Police Seize the "Marijuana Cannon"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mexican Police Seize the "Marijuana Cannon"

The "Marijuana Cannon" recently found in Mexico gives the word "bomber" a whole new meaning.

One of the biggest challenges facing modern Mexican drug traffickers is the difficulty of getting product across the border and into the lucrative U.S. market. The shared border is a benefit in many ways, eliminating the need for things like Colombian semi-submersibles, but the American fixation on illegal immigration naturally complicates the process.

The solution cooked up by one enterprising criminal is amazingly obvious in hindsight: just gun it across the border - literally - with a homemade "marijuana cannon [http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/27/marijuana-cannon-us-border-seized-mexico]." Made from a large-bore plastic tube, a metal tank and an automobile engine, the ganja gun uses compressed air to fire packages of the evil weed weighing roughly 30 pounds.

It's out of action now, however; the herb howitzer was seized by police in the border city of Mexicali after U.S. authorities reported the discovery of a large number of packages of drugs that appeared to have been flung across the border.

Not that I'm any kind of supporter of narcotics traffickers, but this really is kind of brilliant. Not quite as impressive as driving a van made entirely of dope across the border, perhaps, but infinitely more practical.

Source: The Guardian [http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/27/marijuana-cannon-us-border-seized-mexico]

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
I would be very surprised if this really was the first time someone tried it

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I was going to make a different post but had to delete it after captcha came up with a better smuggling idea.

Pizza topping. Set up a pizza shop on the border and deliver pizza to hungry, hungry Americans. Plenty of fresh herbs for that authentic Meheecan flavour.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
You had way too much fun coming up with alternate names for the cannabis cannon, didn't you?

Ironside

Mar 5, 2012
VladG said:
I was once in a meeting with a guy who usually worked in the US and he said that when his company had to do work near the border it was basically raining packages of drugs and whatnot, because the gangs had constructed various catapults and trebuchets on the other side just to try and get the drugs into the US. Not quite cannons, but a similar kind of thing.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
It's the perfect "weed idea", it seems impractical until you get high and all of a sudden you're hooking up a car motor to a cannon. I'm literally stunned by the ingenuity on display here. Long live the Reefer Rocket!

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Next up: the ganja mass relay

Note: video not related to ganja, but it does move small green packages great distances.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
I got one...The Marijuana Mortar

OT: I have to agree with Andy on this one, that is kinda genius in a silly way.

Nietz

Dec 1, 2009
Saw this earlier today, had me smiling all day long.

I wanna meet the people behind this, shake their hands and offer them scholarships to MIT. They have no business being in jail, we need them for bigger projects.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Ironside said:
VladG said:
I was once in a meeting with a guy who usually worked in the US and he said that when his company had to do work near the border it was basically raining packages of drugs and whatnot, because the gangs had constructed various catapults and trebuchets on the other side just to try and get the drugs into the US. Not quite cannons, but a similar kind of thing.
Doesn't sound very practical, anyone can just pick it up and walk off :-/ Perhaps they just want to get more people stonned/addicted? Here have a sample.

s_h_a_d_o

Mr Propellerhead
Jun 15, 2010
I'm not au fait with the modern parlance, but back in my day the reference would have been to a "shotgun".