Ouya Begins Shipping to Backers in March

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ouya Begins Shipping to Backers in March

Ouya CEO Julie Uhrman says the assembly lines are buzzing, and the executive team has been joined by someone you may have heard of.

Ouya, the Android-powered game console that made a huge splash on Kickstarter last year, is just about ready to go out the door. Founder and CEO Julie Uhrman wrote in an update today that the production lines are running, and that while the full launch is still scheduled for June, project backers will start seeing their hardware arrive sooner.

"Tens of thousands of you will receive your Ouya, and you'll get to start playing right away," she wrote. "Keep a lookout in your inbox for an email from us. It will have your tracking number and estimated delivery date. Might take a few weeks to get to everyone. We have a lot of Ouyas to ship!"

Uhrman also revealed that Kellee Santiago, co-founder of Journey studio Thatgamecompany, has joined the company as "Developer's Best Friend," a role from which she will lead developer relations. "Ouya gets it. This is the first console company that really understands how important it is to remove the barriers to development," Santiago said. "By freeing up the development process, OUYA is opening up new doors in console gaming."

Source: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/posts/416291]

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
It does seem like a cool project, I hope it ends successfully.

I was too late to get a backers copy, but I look forward to seeing what gets released for it, and hopefully will see something that makes me want to pick it up.

It'd be nice to see the kind of titles you see on the XBLA and other indie stores added onto it.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I hope this works out well, seeing as how it's the most anticipated Kickstarter project and therefore has a huge stake in the future of the site. However, I hope if it IS successful, it doesn't breed a group of "Ouya elitists" who think they're better than those of us who would prefer to stick to the major consoles.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I hope this works out well, seeing as how it's the most anticipated Kickstarter project and therefore has a huge stake in the future of the site. However, I hope if it IS successful, it doesn't breed a group of "Ouya elitists" who think they're better than those of us who would prefer to stick to the major consoles.
My guess is it'll be the Linux of consoles. Which if you consider Linux enthusiasts elitist than you would probably consider Ouya enthusiasts the same.

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
"Ouya gets it. This is the first console company that really understands how important it is to remove the barriers to development," Santiago said. "By freeing up the development process, OUYA is opening up new doors in console gaming."
Sounds similar what was said about the WiiU and PS4. For some reason I believe that the Ouya will pull this off better then the other two, but only time will tell. Definitely looking into getting one sometime this year.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I hope this works out well, seeing as how it's the most anticipated Kickstarter project and therefore has a huge stake in the future of the site.
Actually, the largest KS funding so far went to the Pebble smartwatch with 10 million, and that is already shipping to backers.

In the gaming segment, the projects with the most backers were Double fine adventure, Project Eternity, and the Ouya in that order.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Except there's one major difference: Developers.

The barrier to entry for Windows development is next to nothing, so people have no issue with developing on what they already use on a daily basis. The barrier to entry for console development has traditionally been quite high, thus keeping most people from developing for anything but iOS and Android.

Why does this matter? Because Linux doesn't have such an appeal. Open development on Windows means developers don't have as much reason to develop for Linux, so there's somewhat less software for it (at least in the mainstream), and really the only end users who choose Linux it are enthusiasts or server administrators. With OUYA, they're doing a lot to make sure they have a good amount of relatively mainstream software available at launch, as well as the ability for developers to keep a good amount of it coming in with few limitations. Larger library = more users, beyond just enthusiasts.

Will it be as mainstream as the PS3/360/Wii? Probably not. But I'm betting it'll have enough "average" users rather than just the techies that elitism isn't really a problem.

...But on the other hand, as a games console it's probably prone to the same fanboy elitism we see from all sides anyway :/

P.S. Thanks

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I doubt that will happen...... If you look at the hardware it doesn't even compete with the PS Vita....

But I am looking forward to getting mine in the mail.

GO Indie gaming.... Also, I think that Microsoft's recent snub to indie devs ( http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.399922-Microsoft-Confirms-the-End-of-XNA ) Might help draw dev traffic toward the Ouya.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Entitled said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I hope this works out well, seeing as how it's the most anticipated Kickstarter project and therefore has a huge stake in the future of the site.
Actually, the largest KS funding so far went to the Pebble smartwatch with 10 million, and that is already shipping to backers.

In the gaming segment, the projects with the most backers were Double fine adventure, Project Eternity, and the Ouya in that order.
point of clarity "most anticipated" does not mean most money or most backers.