Mass Effect: Foundation Expands Shepard's Universe

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Mass Effect: Foundation Expands Shepard's Universe

The sci-fi series will soon be getting a year's worth of comics.

The Mass Effect saga has expanded far beyond its core trilogy of video games. Two mobile games, four novels, several comic min-series, and anime film fill in details of the rich sci-fi setting beyond the exploits of Command Shepard. The next piece of canon to join that list will be Mass Effect: Foundation, an ongoing comic series (the franchise's first comic to exceed "mini-series" status) penned by Mass Effect writer Mac Walters and published by Dark Horse.

Walters, who partially wrote Mass Effect 2 and served as story lead for Mass Effect 3, has worked on some of the franchise's mini-series in the past. Foundation will be his most ambitious comic project to date, spanning twelve issues on a monthly release schedule. With Mass Effect 3 on shelves and its line-up of DLC coming to a close, Walters has been able to fully commit to the comic.

Foundation will feature an original heroine not seen before in the Mass Effect saga, but many elements of its story are designed to expand established events that fans may be curious about. "Rather than going into an area where we tell brand-new stories in a universe that people know already, maybe we could find ways of fleshing out some of the stories that we've heard hints of already," Walters explains. "At a high level, that's where we thought about going with Foundations, and that's where we went with it."

Previous Mass Effect comics have focused on the supporting cast of the series, due to the difficulty of representing a canonical Shepard without invalidating players' choices in the games. "The problem is you can't even go back to a young Shepard," Walters notes, "because it could be male, female; you don't know the background..." Foundation continues that approach by setting its story about from the main events of the trilogy. While some crossover is inevitable - Walters confirmed that there will be "some connections" with the upcoming Citadel DLC - the focus will be on telling these side characters' stories. "People can look forward to some of their favorites showing up again," Walters teased, "maybe even characters that haven't been touched on before."

There isn't much to go off of yet, but the Mass Effect universe is certainly ripe with untold stories. There have been no confirmed reports of elcor battletanks or hanar Spectres in Foundation's plotline, but we can always hope.

Source & Image: Comic Book Resources [http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=44019]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Oh god, retarded wolverine claws.
But yeah I read the comic that came with the ME3 collector's edition. If this has any similar quality to its writing/pacing/artwork it's going to be bad. Very bad.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
But yeah I read the comic that came with the ME3 collector's edition. If this has any similar quality to its writing/pacing/artwork it's going to be bad. Very bad.
I concur. That comic was straight up bad. The writing I think was the worst part, cringe-worthy really.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Well as long as this just avoids the ending and anything related to the catalyst, it should be fine-

Cognimancer said:
penned by Mass Effect writer Mac Walters and published by Dark Horse
And just like that, my hopes are plummeting.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WolverinePublicity

You can't escape the Wolverine even in the distant future, sorry darlings.

Seriously though, what is the point of having politically correct floating jelly fish in your universe if you aren't gonna use them?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Mass Effect tie in material has been pretty awful so far. I'm not getting my hopes up for this one to break the mold.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
So $10 says the last page is divided into three copies of the same panel, each with a red/green/blue filter over it.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Mass Effect tie in material has been pretty awful so far. I'm not getting my hopes up for this one to break the mold.
While I have not read a lot of the novels or side comics I thought a lot of people liked Drew Karpyshyn's Mass Effect book tie-ins. I think for the next Mass Effect game they should get Neil Gaiman to be lead writer on the project.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Bat Vader said:
Soviet Heavy said:
While I have not read a lot of the novels or side comics I thought a lot of people liked Drew Karpyshyn's Mass Effect book tie-ins. I think for the next Mass Effect game they should get Neil Gaiman to be lead writer on the project.
Drew Karpyshin is not a good novelist. He can write a good game script, but translating that to a book is not easy. His Revan novel and his Darth Bane trilogy were terrible. That doesn't bode well for his other books.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
Ironman126 said:
I concur. That comic was straight up bad. The writing I think was the worst part, cringe-worthy really.
do you mean the one with Aria? Invasion?, Im going to have to ask what so so bad about it? I dont remember it being awful

also what was wrong with the artwork? I actually thourght it was pretty good, everything looked more or less spot on....now the artwork for Talis comic "homeworlds" was...lacking somewhat because the artist decided to do their own thing rather trying and meticlasly stick to what turians and quarians look like

I'm not really interested because I feel "extra materiel" is basically exploitation...

[img/]http://www.comicsbulletin.com/main/sites/default/files/reviews/images/1110/masseffectinvasion1b.jpg[/img]
again I think this is pretty good

mfeff

Nov 8, 2010
I think I saw a leaked panel for this series... lemme see if I am able to find it...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljvo5a83Gj1qj73soo1_400.jpg

Where do I sign!???

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Vault101 said:
hazabaza1 said:
Ironman126 said:
do you mean the one with Aria? Invasion?, Im going to have to ask what so so bad about it? I dont remember it being awful
The writing was the issue. Not the plot, but the actual language used just kinda made me go "Ugh... Really? You... You just had him/her/it say that, didn't you? *sighs*"

hazabaza1

Nov 26, 2008
Vault101 said:
Yeah, I think that's the one.
I dunno, the artwork was decent, but very... inconsistent. It also had a lot of the ninja sort of stuff that everyone hated in ME3 (how the fuck do you slit a krogan's throat with a knife seriously)

Plus, the writing in the comic... oh the writing. It was worse than some of ME3's worst bits, and that's saying a fair bit, this coming from someone who likes Mass Effect.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
(how the fuck do you slit a krogan's throat with a knife seriously)
yeah I DID notice that at the time and thought "bullshit" that kind of thing shouldn't work with a Krogan (and now I sound like a lore natzi BUT IT SHOULDNT DAMMIT!)

also what do you mean by inconsistent? I know I'm being a pain in the ass asking all thease things but as somone who's tryig their own hand at drawing I want to know

[quote/]Plus, the writing in the comic... oh the writing. It was worse than some of ME3's worst bits, and that's saying a fair bit, this coming from someone who likes Mass Effect.[/quote]
I should re-read...if I can be bothered

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Devoneaux said:
Oh god, why won't it leave me alone?! Make it stop! MAKE IT STOOOOOP! /Bangs head against the wall, coating it with blood.

In all seriousness, how does Mac still have a job that doesn't involve sweeping the floors? I thought companies were like meritocracies where the successful rise, and the failures plummet.
DVS BSTrD said:
Sorry Mac, this one does not have time for your solid waste excretions.
why all the hate for this guy? do we know if it was him who was responsible for the starchild?

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Oh, fuck you Mac Walters! You couldn't write your way out of a Sao Paulo bathroom stall!

Invasion read like crap, and Mass Effect 3 had the most retarded writing to ever disgrace the series, not counting Deception.

I highly doubt this new comic is going to be anything other than aggressively mediocre, late nineties trash. And how do you "expand" the Mass Effect universe? If it expanded anymore, it'd collapse under it's own weight and form a singularity of self contradiction and contrivance.

hazabaza1

Nov 26, 2008
Vault101 said:
hazabaza1 said:
(how the fuck do you slit a krogan's throat with a knife seriously)
yeah I DID notice that at the time and thought "bullshit" that kind of thing shouldn't work with a Krogan (and now I sound like a lore natzi BUT IT SHOULDNT DAMMIT!)

also what do you mean by inconsistent? I know I'm being a pain in the ass asking all thease things but as somone who's tryig their own hand at drawing I want to know

[quote/]Plus, the writing in the comic... oh the writing. It was worse than some of ME3's worst bits, and that's saying a fair bit, this coming from someone who likes Mass Effect.
I should re-read...if I can be bothered[/quote]
I dunno how to define it really. Things just ended up looking... different than they were before. Angles looked odd and that whole thing it had of having bits of a scene pop out of the frame it was supposed to be in was doing it no favours.

If you can't be bothered to re-read it I don't blame you, but from memory the writing was just very cheesy melodramatic stuff. Not bad in principle, but in a big moment in the Mass Effect lore, it was a fair bit out of place.