Co-Founder Leaves Respawn Entertainment

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Co-Founder Leaves Respawn Entertainment

Respawn Entertainment Co-Founder and Ex-Infinity Ward President Jason West Retires.

More departures for Ex-Call of Duty devs this week. Jason West, former President of Infinity Ward and co-founder of Respawn Entertainment [a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/3/4060292/respawn-jason-west-retirement]has stepped down[/a], according to Polygon. Sources "familiar with the situation" tell Polygon that West's departure is related to family issues, with multiple sources confirming that he has been absent for some time.

West, Zampella, and other disgruntled employees left the Call of Duty developer to found Respawn Entertainment in 2010. Controversy followed them immediately as accusations flew wild between them and their former publisher Activision, culminating in a [a href=http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/5/16/3025139/activision-and-ea-reach-settlement-in-call-of-duty-lawsuit]billion dollar lawsuit[/a]. While a settlement has been reached, the terms have not been publicly disclosed.

While Respawn has announced that it is working on an EA published sci-fi shooter, no other details are known. Vince Zampella has stated that the company will appear at E3 this year, and that they have "no intention of showing up empty handed." All they have shown so far is a single blurry screenshot.

Two other high-profile Respawn Employees have left recently. Francisco Gigliotti, who was Respawn's lead software engineer, and Todd Alderman, their lead game designer. According to their Linkedin profiles, they founded their own studio, Scary Mostro, in August 2012.

West, Zampella, and Alderman had worked together since 2015 Inc., the company that released the original Medal of Honor: Allied Assault back in 2002.

Source: [a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/3/4060292/respawn-jason-west-retirement]Polygon[/a]

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I hope that everyone in his family is ok. I can't believe it has been three years since they left Infinity Ward. Time sure does seem to fly.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Man, video game development really burns people out, doesn't it? We saw Cliffy retire (for the time being at least) after 20+ years at Epic, and then there's this article about how an ex-Halo dev currently working on Republique actually ended up breaking up with his girlfriend of five years for his career...

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Man, video game development really burns people out, doesn't it? We saw Cliffy retire (for the time being at least) after 20+ years at Epic, and then there's this article about how an ex-Halo dev currently working on Republique actually ended up breaking up with his 5-year old girlfriend for his career...
I believe you mean girlfriend of five years.

If you don't, and actually meant what you typed... yikes...

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Well, whatever the problem is, I hope it resolves itself to a happy ending.

It would be a huge shame if, having fought Activision and made away with all the money, something completely beyond his control were to render that victory moot.

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
I echo the sentiments of hoping his family is fine, but is it me, or is it a bad sign that they're losing people before their first game has even been announced?

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Omegatronacles said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Man, video game development really burns people out, doesn't it? We saw Cliffy retire (for the time being at least) after 20+ years at Epic, and then there's this article about how an ex-Halo dev currently working on Republique actually ended up breaking up with his 5-year old girlfriend for his career...
I believe you mean girlfriend of five years.

If you don't, and actually meant what you typed... yikes...
Yeah, uh, edited... >_>

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Guy Jackson said:
That screenshot... is some sort of joke?
That's the only screenshot Respawn as released so far. Outside of a logo, there's really not much else to work with yet.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
IanDavis said:
Guy Jackson said:
That screenshot... is some sort of joke?
That's the only screenshot Respawn as released so far. Outside of a logo, there's really not much else to work with yet.
I meant is it the devs idea of a joke. Sorry for being vague.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
My 'worked on CoD: MW2 so never touch anything made by any dev they currently work for' flowchart is getting ridiculously complicated.